Schwarzenegger to Bush: No Drilling off the Coast of Cali

RunInRed

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger took a stand against the Bush Administration position Wednesday on offshore oil drilling.

"California's coastline is an international treasure. I do not support lifting this moratorium on new oil drilling off our coast," he said. "However, I do welcome the national discussion about how to lower the cost of gasoline—soaring prices are taking a toll on California families just as they are across the country."

"We are in this situation because of our dependence on traditional petroleum-based oil," Schwarzenegger said. "The direction our nation needs to go in, and where California is already headed, is toward greater innovation in new technologies and new fuel choices for consumers. That is the way we will ultimately reduce fuel costs and also protect our environment."

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California, slammed the President for his statement.

“Today’s statement by President Bush was the height of hypocrisy — two years ago he said America is addicted to oil, and today, he wants to feed that addiction by going back to the past policies of drill, drill, drill," Boxer said. (That's going to leave a mark) "John McCain has now flip-flopped and joined the President’s bandwagon."

“Offshore oil drilling threatens AmericaÂs $60 billion coastal economy, and we certainly donÂ’t need to lift the moratoria to allow new leases when the oil companies hold 68 million acres of undeveloped leases," Boxer said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25247781/

Raise your hand if an oil rig 40 miles off the coast of Florida will make you change your vacation plans to Gatlinburg instead.

That's what I thought.

Raise your hand if an oil rig 40 miles off the coast of Florida will make you change your vacation plans to Gatlinburg instead.

That's what I thought.

If Exxon Valdez Part II happens, you would probably have to consider going elsewhere.

That's what I thought.

If Exxon Valdez Part II happens, you would probably have to consider going elsewhere.

Reports have found that you are 2x more likely to have a spill from imported oil

So I guess you're on board for drilling.

That's what I thought.

Reports have found that you are 2x more likely to have a spill from imported oil

I have a better chance of dying tomorrow from crossing the street than....(fill in the blank)

Your logic is as stupid as your notion that we can drill our way out of this problem.

That's what I thought.

I have a better chance of dying tomorrow from crossing the street than....(fill in the blank)

Your logic is as stupid as your notion that we can drill our way out of this problem.

So if drilling is off the table, what the hell are we going to do? You don't have a clue do you? Just like your Messiah, you don't have a clue.

PS - You are one that should never talk down to anyone about stupid logic. Go look at your obama picture and play with yourself.

Your logic is as stupid as your notion that we can drill our way out of this problem

again you are representing Obama well with that rhetoric.

i'm not one to defend people on here cause they can defend themselves, but I think bamagrad said he's for a combo of both drilling and alternative energy.

Here's what is really dumb about this whole drilling argument: the oil companies already have leases on 68 Million acres of land with oil reserves that they are not drilling. Yet Bush and McCain come out today and say we need to open up more land to drill. The oil companies aren't drilling on the land they have! So who is telling you the truth now?

Further, last not forget a pretty basic fact: the U.S. has 3% of the world's oil yet we consume 25% of it - do the math.

Lastly, remember when the Repubs used to tell us was that the problem was not that we didn't have enough oil but that we didn't have enough refining capacity? So assuming we get all this new found oil, how are we going to refine? Some of you guys are being pulled around by your honkers and I can't help but laugh.

Here's what is really dumb about this whole drilling argument: the oil companies already have leases on 68 Million acres of land with oil reserves that they are not drilling. (Do you know anything at all about drilling? About oil leases? Well I will make this short. Just because they have a lease does not mean there is oil or gas there.) Yet Bush and McCain come out today and say we need to open up more land to drill. (It seems they are aware there is a problem that can be remedied by drilling ALONG with developing other sources of energy) The oil companies aren't drilling on the land they have! (See above dumb ass) So who is telling you the truth now? (It damn sure isn't you or your dim leaders.)

Further, last not forget a pretty basic fact: the U.S. has 3% of the world's oil yet we consume 25% of it - do the math. (Even more reason for the U.S. to drill FOR THEIR OWN CONSUMPTION. So as to not be so selfish! So as to not cause catastrophic hardship on the rest of the world!)

Lastly, remember when the Repubs used to tell us was that the problem was not that we didn't have enough oil but that we didn't have enough refining capacity? (We don't have enough refining capacity.) So assuming we get all this new found oil, how are we going to refine? (Damn how do you think? We may have to build another refinery or two.) Some of you guys are being pulled around by your honkers and I can't help but laugh. (Yes you are being pulled but they have to use tweezers.)

Your My logic is stupid!

Fixed that for you.

hell though it's not like a refinery is cheap.

those things are billions of dollars a pop. and now the added heat of eliminating their tax breaks along side a windfall profit tax, that price will go up.

sure those oil companies are making record profits (what about profit margins?), but they're also paying record taxes.

If Arnold and his band of merry men don't want to drill, then it's their state. No drilling. But there should not be a federal ban. Let the states actually have rights. I love it when a new idea comes along in politics.

That's what I thought.

So the reports that have found those facts are wrong? You've done your own research? The report has been linked on this very forum.

So again, besides just saying "we can't drill out of this problem"...why don't you tell us WHY WE CANT DRILL OUT OF THE PROBLEM?

You say we can't, and give ZERO reasons...I say we can, in the short term, and give 10 reasons.

STOP BEING A LEMMING. You can still vote for Obama and not puke up everything the democrat party line tells you to.

,,,, we can drill our way out of this problem.

Which brings up one simple question.

Why do you think Obama and the House leadership think they can tax their way out of this?

,,,, we can drill our way out of this problem.

Which brings up one simple question.

Why do you think Obama and the House leadership think they can tax their way out of this?

"I'm fine with $5 a gallon"

Archived