The view from Europe

CCTAU

Interesting as to what the rest of the world really wants to happen to us. Can our very own libs be accused of the same wants? (without even realizing it)

BARACKOBAMAMANIA IN EUROPE

Oh man, you just wouldn't believe it.

Here's the first paragraph from a column by Noah Barkin that cleared yesterday on Reuters:

BERLIN (Reuters) - European fans will cheer on U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama as he visits Berlin, Paris and London this week, but governments wary of his inexperience and evolving policies fear the euphoria is overdone.

And how ...

I've just returned from a week across the pond; London, Paris and Dublin. While there I had the opportunity to talk to journalists, pundits, political figures and businessmen. The message everywhere is the same. If Europeans could vote in the presidential election they would vote overwhelmingly for Obama, and the margins would be huge. The Obama margin right now in Germany is 49 percent. In France it is 51 percent and in Great Britain 30 percent.

But there's concern as well. Concern about the type of following Obama has generated and the policies he will take with him to the White House.

If you read the Barkin column you will find some interesting phrases:

* " ...unease with the Illinois senator's cult-like following ..."

* "a lot of people will have their illusions shattered if he does become president,"

* "Euphoria in politics is an invitation for disappointment,"

What have I been telling you? I'm not the only one sounding this warning. Some Obama followers can be fairly categorized as a cult. We are watching mass hysteria at work. Even in Europe there are people who will tell you how wonderful Barack Obama is, and if you ask they why it is brook trout time. They just sit there with their mouths open sucking in oxygen. Some will tell you they like him because he's for "change." My my, how very profound.

Just be ready. Toward the end of this week Obama will hit Berlin. Then it's off to France and Great Britain. Just wait until you see the crowds. You're going to think that a Beatles reunion has become a reality – including the dead ones.

As you watch the mania being beamed back from Europe, I ask you to remember one important thing. Not too many months ago the Pew Research Center – and these are people with great expertise in European polling – said that 58% of all Europeans want to see the United States weakened. Now think about that for a minute. Do you want the United States to be weakened? It's not surprising that Europeans might want that. After all, a weaker United States might well mean a stronger Europe in international affairs and economic influence. That might be great for Europe, and we can understand Europeans wanting to bring this about. But when these Europeans start falling all over themselves during the Obama 2008 tour, try to remember what their goals really are. Are they slobbering all over Obama because they think he will be a wonderful and powerful world leader, or because they think that Barack Obama is the means to their desired end ... a weakened America.

Can it be that the future of this country is going to depend on millions of voters snapping out of it – escaping the cult – and actually sitting back for a little session of sober thought on the choices at hand?

EUROPE LOVES BARACK? BE CAREFUL OF THE REASONS

Prior to the talk radio forum at the U.S. Embassy in Dublin last week we met in a conference room with the moderator. He had done a bit of Internet research and had some questions. One of the things he was curious about was the FairTax. I gave him a brief explanation and he told me that "An idea like that will send chills down the spines of the people in this country." Later, during the forum, he explained that Ireland's economy is booming precisely because of U.S. tax policies, particularly the high taxes we levy on businesses and corporations. Much of the "Irish Miracle," as they call it, can be credited to U.S. businesses moving operations overseas to Ireland in search of a more favorable tax climate.

So, what does this have to do with Obama? Simple. He's a tax kind of guy. Some European business leaders see him as good for their economy because he's all about raising taxes back home. The more onerous our tax burden in the U.S., the better it is for European economies. Reason enough to love Obama.

Commentary Link

Archived