QB Duel

tidesnightmare

Not that I've heard.

Here's my thought though: Burns is a better runner than Todd, we all know that and its never going to change. Can't teach speed.

Todd is a better passer, but Burns seems to be getting better by the day. My question is, how much better of a passer does Todd need to be to be named #1. Right now he only seems to have a marginally better completion rate, which to me, does not compensate for Burns' added dimension.

The other aspects of SEC quarterbacking are: ability to audible and ability to find second, third or fouth receivers. Todd was ahead in those 2 departments in the spring. Since both will play this season, Burns should have plenty of chances to improve in those 2 areas. In the past, Burns passing fundamentals seemed to break down when he had to adjust to pass to a secondary receiver. My guess is that Todd will be a great example for Burns to follow.

Does Burns really have time to learn and improve? I think Todd will get the starting job. He knows the offense well and thats a huge factor. With them splitting time in practice, I don't think that allows for as much improvement and learning in the offense. Todd's knowledge of the offense will be the biggest factor. Also, we need this offense to gel and get acclimated with a QB so I wish they would go ahead and name a #1 so they can get comfortable.

I agree that Todd seems to be the better passing QB, but overall I would want Burns at QB. He isn't turning it over more than Todd, completion percentage is not far below Todd's, and he can run.

Todd is a better passer, but Burns seems to be getting better by the day. My question is, how much better of a passer does Todd need to be to be named #1. Right now he only seems to have a marginally better completion rate, which to me, does not compensate for Burns' added dimension.

Nothing has proven that at all. I see Burns as the clear choice at starter, but our coaches always have a way of trying to put at least one person as a starter that shouldn't be so we will see. This reminds me of the Campbell/Cobb garbage from a few years ago. Get excited! :drippingsarcasm7pa:

The other aspects of SEC quarterbacking are: ability to audible and ability to find second, third or fouth receivers. Todd was ahead in those 2 departments in the spring. Since both will play this season, Burns should have plenty of chances to improve in those 2 areas. In the past, Burns passing fundamentals seemed to break down when he had to adjust to pass to a secondary receiver. My guess is that Todd will be a great example for Burns to follow.

Our QBs won't be audibleing in this offense. The coaches will be doing it for them.

This is not a Campbell/Cobb battle. Both guys are performing very well. Anyone who has seen these guys knows Todd is looking sharp. He's not a complete slouch running either. I'm leaning more and more to them both playing almost equal amounts. They are on about the same level, but each has a different dimension to throw at the defense.

I really like Todd's arm, and he always knows where to go with the ball. I don't know what % his arm is at, but it's still stronger than the other guys. Kodi will probably throw a few more interceptions, but there's always the running ability to contend with. I see this as a win/win situation. It also seems that CT has taken Kodi under his wing a little and is really helping him learn which I think will be an asset over the next 2 years. CT isn't stupid. He knows Kodi has tons of ability, and that he can help him with the mental aspect. I think it's admirable that Todd isn't being selfish and seems to be teaching.

hey, it's the spread, you know, fast paced with lots of plays. We may need more than one QB, remember?

I see success with either one behind center.

Burns gives the extra dimension with his feet.

Todd has experience with the offense and can help Burns learn the intricasies of the spread.

We are not in a bad sitiuation with either guy.

I like Todd early in the game so Kodi can see what the defense is doing and then in the second quarter and late in the second half let's see if that defense still has the legs to chase a fresh Kodi Burns.

War Eagle.

I like Todd early in the game so Kodi can see what the defense is doing and then in the second quarter and late in the second half let's see if that defense still has the legs to chase a fresh Kodi Burns.

War Eagle.

I think that we have to play 2 qb's regularly b/c of the chances for injury. I think that Todd will run the offense better at the begining of the game. Burns can be a better catalyst coming off the bench than Todd.

having two QB's that want the start is never a good thing. It worked with Leak and Tebow because Tebow just came in to run the ball. Having a rotating QB system would be terrible. They can never get in rhythm and the entire offense would be out of sync. We need to pick a QB. I think they'll pick the best man for the job, but the problem is that someone will be looking over their shoulder. I know they will both play but someone needs to get at least 75 percent of the snaps.

Not taking anything from Todd, but for those of you saying you like his arm, when/where did you see him display this, or are you going off what you read? I just ask this because at A Day, Kodi was a much better passer, but Todd was nursing a sore shoulder so it wasn't a fair comparison.

I don't think we'd be in bad shape with either, but the way Kodi was throwing at A Day was awesome, if it can be sustained, and to mix that with his running ability and the spread package will be lethal.

having two QB's that want the start is never a good thing. It worked with Leak and Tebow because Tebow just came in to run the ball. Having a rotating QB system would be terrible. They can never get in rhythm and the entire offense would be out of sync. We need to pick a QB. I think they'll pick the best man for the job, but the problem is that someone will be looking over their shoulder. I know they will both play but someone needs to get at least 75 percent of the snaps.

I think never is a pretty strong word there. South Carolina successfully pulled it off in 1984, Morrison's first year there. They lost one regular season game while beating ND, FSU, Pitt, Georgia, and Clemson... and using two qb's frequently each game. They didn't even have a running qb of the two. Seemed like if one wasn't moving the ball, the other came in.

USC rose to #2 in the polls that year and that is successful by anyone's standard. Stellar by USC's standards.

Not that I'm saying you don't have a good point, just that maybe it's a bit too strong.

Right now it's not about arm strength or running. It's about making the right decision. Todd has the upper hand and will probably be called on the set the tone. Then Burns will come in and set it on fire. But it's hard to set it on fire every play. So until Burns has as good of command of the total offense as Todd, it will be great to see them both bring what they do best into the game.

By the time Burns is a senior, he should be just about ready to have the trophy word mentioned with his name...but not yet.

Not taking anything from Todd, but for those of you saying you like his arm, when/where did you see him display this, or are you going off what you read? I just ask this because at A Day, Kodi was a much better passer, but Todd was nursing a sore shoulder so it wasn't a fair comparison.

I don't think we'd be in bad shape with either, but the way Kodi was throwing at A Day was awesome, if it can be sustained, and to mix that with his running ability and the spread package will be lethal.

I've seen the guy throw the ball in practice. He's got as good an arm as Kodi and better accuracy.

I agree with most of what CCTAU has just said.

I think this QB situation is different than most have been in college football including most that used 2 QBs. I think it will be more like UF in that each QB will be used and be used to excel in his best areas. Most 2 qb systems were more of a punishment for failure than only using each for his best abilities.

I just don't understand the attitude that 2 quality QBs is a bad thing. It's not bad to have 2 good WRs that are on the same skill level or is it bad at any other position. I don't buy the "looking over the shoulder" argument. I've played tons of sports in my life and never has having someone pushing me for a position made me worse - only better. No one claims the 1st WR or RB isn't going to perform well because the 2nd guy is pushing him for his position. Competition makes everyone better, and it adds quality depth at every position.

I agree most with Hansel. I think you absolutely have to have two guys in this offense. I think we need to play them both in every game. I also think that it would be a HUGE mistake to play them both equally. The QB position is different than any other position in all of sports. Every position on the offense plays off that one. The line blocks differently for different guys. The receivers are basically rhythm players, which relates to the QB. The running game shifts its focus with different guys... one of these two needs to play 75% of the snaps (barring injury). If not, it will disrupt the offense at some point. UGA saw that when they tried to force Shockley into the game in 2002.

Are there any other people who are really afraid Todd will get injured when he gets hit hard by a blitzing LB or a DE? That is why I think we need two qbs.

I've seen the guy throw the ball in practice. He's got as good an arm as Kodi and better accuracy.

I think this QB situation is different than most have been in college football including most that used 2 QBs. I think it will be more like UF in that each QB will be used and be used to excel in his best areas. Most 2 qb systems were more of a punishment for failure than only using each for his best abilities.

I just don't understand the attitude that 2 quality QBs is a bad thing. It's not bad to have 2 good WRs that are on the same skill level or is it bad at any other position. I don't buy the "looking over the shoulder" argument. I've played tons of sports in my life and never has having someone pushing me for a position made me worse - only better. No one claims the 1st WR or RB isn't going to perform well because the 2nd guy is pushing him for his position. Competition makes everyone better, and it adds quality depth at every position.

I thought the 2 qb system worked EXTREMELY well against Clemson. We were fresh, and they were sucking air in OT. Both our qbs played well and with Todd probably being better than Brandon, we'll probably do even better playing these two.

:au::homer:

I thought the 2 qb system worked EXTREMELY well against Clemson. We were fresh, and they were sucking air in OT. Both our qbs played well and with Todd probably being better than Brandon, we'll probably do even better playing these two.

:au::homer:

Brandon still got most of the snaps. I don't see this working unless we have a #1 qb. If they go with Todd and bring in Kodi for a change of pace, it might work. But I don't see it working with each QB playing a lot. The timing gets off, the offense loses it's rhythm, and this offense if based on getting in a good rhythm. I understand why we should and will play both, but I still like going with a #1 QB, whoever gives them the best chance to win!

Archived