IRON BOWL ON THANKSGIVING NIGHT??????

greg6363

I heard a wild rumor on Friday that CBS might consider moving the game to prime time on Thanksgiving night in order to compete against the NFL (Cardinals-Eagles on the NFL Network) and ESPN (Texas-Texas A&M). I know the CBS SEC TV schedule was released (leaked) last week but I would think such an arrangement would have happened by now. Both schools would need more lead time from a logistical standpoint (both would have 12 days off between games) in order for such a change to occur. Let's see but I seriously doubt it.

You heard a rumor and indeed just that. Schedules have already been finalized. Tickets have already been sold.

CBS already has their NFL game during Thanksgiving, don't they?

But yea - all you heard was a rumor.

You heard a rumor and indeed just that. Schedules have already been finalized. Tickets have already been sold.

Game times can always be moved to accomodate television regardless of ticket sales. CBS' NFL game (Titans-Lions) is at 11:30 AM Central. This would be a PRIME TIME game with kickoff @ 7 PM with an additional financial payout to both schools. Besides, it's a holiday weekend so it wouldn't make that much difference if the game is played on Thursday night or Saturday afternoon. I'm not saying it's going to happen but I can understand CBS' rationale for airing this game as opposed to reruns of Survivor and CSI on Thanksgiving night.

Game times can always be moved to accomodate television regardless of ticket sales. CBS' NFL game (Titans-Lions) is at 11:30 AM Central. This would be a PRIME TIME game with kickoff @ 7 PM with an additional financial payout to both schools. Besides, it's a holiday weekend so it wouldn't make that much difference if the game is played on Thursday night or Saturday afternoon. I'm not saying it's going to happen but I can understand CBS' rationale for airing this game as opposed to reruns of Survivor and CSI on Thanksgiving night.

Regarding the part I bolded, if they try to or do move the game you'll see how much of a difference switching it to Thanksgiving night makes for a LOT of people. Personally, I am TOTALLY against this switch. Hopefully it's just a baseless rumor.

Television can change the time of the game, but not the date of the game once the season has already started. No school would go through the logistics that it would cause. They only do this when they have to (a hurricane or 9/11). And it's not the TV that decides this, it is the school.

Trust me, Auburn and Alabama are not going to move the game to Thanksgiving. The schools don't want the logistic issues and the game is already on tv. The schools have nothing to gain by changing the date, except angry fans. The state of Alabama is very conservative and wouldn't change the game to Thanksgiving. Just my opinion.

Television can change the time of the game, but not the date of the game once the season has already started. No school would go through the logistics that it would cause. They only do this when they have to (a hurricane or 9/11). And it's not the TV that decides this, it is the school.

The season hasn't started yet. Like I said in a previous post, I don't think it will happen but trust me. When it comes to an extra payout, schools will do ANYTHING for the money. You're naive to think otherwise.

We tried a Thanksgiving Iron Bowl one year, remember? It was Pat Dye's last game I believe. Anyway, while we don't agree with Bama fans on any other topic, we can all agree that we don't want the game played on Thanksgiving. To move it to Thursday will allow both ADs to pi** both fan bases off for no good reason. Leave the game alone!

I heard a rumor that they are thinking about making the iron bowl a best of 3 series this season in which Auburn looks to add both 7 and 8 to the streak. I doubt its gonna happen, but lets see.

We tried a Thanksgiving Iron Bowl one year, remember? It was Pat Dye's last game I believe. Anyway, while we don't agree with Bama fans on any other topic, we can all agree that we don't want the game played on Thanksgiving. To move it to Thursday will allow both ADs to pi** both fan bases off for no good reason. Leave the game alone!

Sounds perfect for Jay Jacobs!

Sounds perfect for Jay Jacobs!

Yeah the guy who forfeited the chance to have a TV game against Ole Miss so old fogies like you guys wouldn't have to get out in the sun - yes, Jay Jacobs's goal is just to piss everyone off.

I'm all for this rumored-but-never-going-to-happen move. It'd be nice being one of the only games on TV during a holiday where all everyone does is overeat and watch football.

Somehow the NFL has no problem packing out the stadiums for their Thanksgiving games... we wouldn't either.

Would also give me an excuse to pardon myself from dinner with the in-laws a little early. B)

I heard a rumor that they are thinking about making the iron bowl a best of 3 series this season in which Auburn looks to add both 7 and 8 to the streak. I doubt its gonna happen, but lets see.

I merely stated something that was said on ESPN Radio, a legitimate media outlet. A rumor is just that, a rumor. No one ever said it was true. Speculation is what the media performs on a daily basis. What do you do? You descend into some obnoxious comment that adds nothing to the discussion. I'm a graduate of Auburn and proud of it. Show some class, pal.

"Anyway, while we don't agree with Bama fans on any other topic, we can all agree that we don't want the game played on Thanksgiving."

Speak for yourself, I remember it being on Thanksgiving and a couple years where it was the day after Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful, a real slice of Americana. The Ironbowl never had a bigger national audience or more national media attention either.

"Anyway, while we don't agree with Bama fans on any other topic, we can all agree that we don't want the game played on Thanksgiving."

Speak for yourself, I remember it being on Thanksgiving and a couple years where it was the day after Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful, a real slice of Americana. The Ironbowl never had a bigger national audience or more national media attention either.

I know they played the Friday after Thanksgiving in 1987 & 1988 and played on Thanksgiving Day in 1992.

Archived