OL Update

metafour

Was told today that a hire by Monday or early next week would be probable...one of Steve Wallace/JB Grimes/Robert McFarland. My source said that all three would be competent hires and that Malzahn has apparently green-lighted all three. Wallace has the most upside and would be the best received, Grimes wouldn't be received very favorably but I got the following statement: "JB Grimes is one of the more respected coaches in the game. he might be on the downside of his career but he hasn't forgotten everything he knows."

OK, Steve Wallace I know give us some info on the other two.

Here is what I have found.

Has Wallace been coaching anywhere? I remember him as a player at AU and at SF & KC.

Steve Wallace

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/players.nsf/ID/06750105

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wallace...rican_football)

J.B. Grimes

Mississippi State

Sport: Football

Position: Assistant Coach

Alma Mater: Henderson [AR] State

Graduating Year: 1977

Hometown: Memphis, TN

link

Robert McFarland

A former head coach with more than 20 years of collegiate experience, Iowa State offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Robert McFarland has a long list of achievements and former players who competed in the National Football League. He made a big difference in his first Iowa State season. McFarland successfully rebuilt the Cyclone offensive line from scratch in 2007. Iowa State’s offense was much improved, despite its youth in the trenches. Bret Meyer and Todd Blythe finished their careers as ISU’s career leaders in passing and receiving, respectively. Running backs Alexander Robinson and J.J. Bass each had two 100-yard rushing games. Jason Scales also posted a 100-yard rushing game against Nebraska. Most impressively, Iowa State cut its sacks allowed from 38 in 2006 to 17 in 2007, despite having only one returning starter on the offensive line.

link

Brain-fart...Steven Campbell (the Gulf Coast CC Head Coach) not Steven Wallace.

Dude, I was totally geeked about Steve Wallace. I could see him running around on the sidelines with his special helmet on. Now you've ruined football for me forever!

Brain-fart...Steven Campbell (the Gulf Coast CC Head Coach) not Steven Wallace.

Dude, I was totally geeked about Steve Wallace. I could see him running around on the sidelines with his special helmet on. Now you've ruined football for me forever!

I thought it was too good to be true.

None of the three are anything to write home about no matter how one tries to spin it. Pretty disappointing we can't get anybody better than Nall. If we get Grimes, that gives us three from a staff that had lost 10 in a row.

Like I said, I've been really impressed with the coaching selections so far but I believe his selections will be defined by his last few choices. The positions of offensive line, defensive backs and Defensive Coodinator wil be critical. I was hoping that we could get some outstanding coaches after the bowl games were finished but I grow more doubtful each day now that passes. Hope I'm wrong.

Like I said, I've been really impressed with the coaching selections so far but I believe his selections will be defined by his last few choices. The positions of offensive line, defensive backs and Defensive Coodinator wil be critical. I was hoping that we could get some outstanding coaches after the bowl games were finished but I grow more doubtful each day now that passes. Hope I'm wrong.

Roof has already been hired as Defensive Coodinator.

None of the three are anything to write home about no matter how one tries to spin it. Pretty disappointing we can't get anybody better than Nall. If we get Grimes, that gives us three from a staff that had lost 10 in a row.

Nall was a good one. "Hugh Nall is at the very top. He's the best O-line coach in the country, bar none."~~~Pat Dye on the pre-game radio show, 11-15-08

The OL coach is a critical hire. That is the weakest point on the team and has the farthest to go to be dominating. Recruiting needs to pick up there as well.

Chizik had better not settle for 2nd or 3rd best on this hire or it could be his undoing in the long run.

If AU has to money to hire Malzahn, Roof, etc, why is Chizik having such a hard time filling this position? Maybe because Nall left a mess behind, and it is going to take a miracle-worker to fix it in less than 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong, but I've watched the offense decline steadily since 2006 and it is mostly because of the OL.

Nall was a good one. "Hugh Nall is at the very top. He's the best O-line coach in the country, bar none."~~~Pat Dye on the pre-game radio show, 11-15-08

Has Pat Dye been hanging out with Kenny Stabler again?

I assume nall supporters are going by something other than recent offensive line performance to evaluate nall.

Did Nall turn from a miracle worker with all those freshmen in '07 to a dunce in '08, or did the Franklin Experiment fail with the O-line just as it failed with all other aspects of the offense?

I'm no expert on position coaches and don't claim to be one. Either Dye doesn't know what he's talking about, Dye was lying, or Nall is an excellent O-line coach. Take your pick.

Has Pat Dye been hanging out with Kenny Stabler again?

no, but he hung out with the bear plenty.

I assume nall supporters are going by something other than recent offensive line performance to evaluate nall.

Did Nall turn from a miracle worker with all those freshmen in '07 to a dunce in '08, or did the Franklin Experiment fail with the O-line just as it failed with all other aspects of the offense?

I'm no expert on position coaches and don't claim to be one. Either Dye doesn't know what he's talking about, Dye was lying, or Nall is an excellent O-line coach. Take your pick.

I think it's safe to say dye's statement was a little over the top. I saw no miracle in 07, he had a boatload of young talent to work with and we were far from world beaters. I have seen us have big trouble running the ball against the better d's for years now. Nall was a very good ol coach. I think the fact that he ran straight from being fired here to a corporate job speaks volumes. That and HIM saying the only coaching he intended to do in the future was his grandsons (or sons?) pee wee games. Sounds like someone was a little burned out.

I agree that the selection of an OL coach is CRITICAL! I hope CGC doesn't drop the ball on this one. So far, I haven't seen any candidates that take my breath away and we also need one who is a world beater recruiter. It seems that top quality Offensive Linemen have become as hard to come by as top QB's. We need to step it up in that area and quickly.

Archived