Braves release future Hall lock Glavine

MDM4AU

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9642590...ll-lock-Glavine

Tom Glavine is done in Atlanta.

The Braves released Glavine on Wednesday, just a day after the two-time Cy Young Award winner threw six scoreless innings in his latest rehab start.

The story was first reported by FOXSports.com.

General manager Frank Wren said the decision had nothing to do with a $1 million bonus that Glavine would have received for being placed on the major league roster. Instead, the team felt it had a better chance to win with a younger pitcher in the rotation.

"This was not a business decision," Wren said. "This was a performance decision."

Glavine was to be paid $1 million for his first day on the active roster, $1.25 million for 30 days on the roster and another $1.25 million for 90 days on the roster, bringing the total possible value of the deal to $4.5 million.

The Braves told Glavine that he was being released because his velocity is down, one source told FOXSports.com. However, Glavine was throwing only 76-78 miles per hour in spring training and in recent starts had increased that to 83-86 miles per hour.

"I don't know what else I can do," Glavine said after Tuesday night's game, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Physically I felt good and I feel like I'm ready.

"I'd love to get to Atlanta and help the team. I'll go (to Turner Field) tomorrow and prepare to pitch on Sunday, wherever that is."

Glavine, who returned to Atlanta on a one-year deal, underwent minor elbow and shoulder surgeries during the offseason. He did not appear in a single game for the Braves this season.

"I think he was taken aback a little bit," Wren said Wednesday.

Glavine was the winningest active pitcher in the majors with a record of 305-203. While his agent, Gregg Clifton, did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone, the fact that Atlanta released Glavine would indicate the left-hander still wants to pitch.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This really sucks because I know Glavine wanted to retire as a Brave. But he still feels he can pitch in the majors. Atlanta on the other hand has one hotshot kid who is dominating Triple A right now that needs to join the major league club. It's just his time and he's the future. They actually have another guy right after him that's close to being ready too.

So if you're Atlanta, do you bring up Tom out of a sense of loyalty even though you think you've got a better, younger guy ready to move up and you can take the $2.25 million you saved and perhaps get another power bat in the lineup? From a strategic standpoint, I think you have to do the latter. But I really like Glavine and hate that we no longer have neither he nor Smoltz anymore.

As soon as Larry retires, it will be the end of a golden era for the Braves. The last of the originals will be gone. I really hoped that Glavine could come in and give a 10+ effort this season. But then again, my loyalty to him died when he left us. This does not hurt nearly as bad as when he left.

The Braves sense of loyalty went out the window when he left to go to the Mets for more money. Sorry Tom, it's a business decision, just like the one you made when you left us.

I'm really not that bitter about him leaving for the Mets, but I think it's time for him to retire. If he thinks he can still pitch, more power to him. I'm sure someone will give him a chance, but I'd much prefer a young prospect who looks like he's ready over a 43 year old who can barely break glass anymore with his fastball.

He did alot of great things for the Braves, but I really don't feel like they owe him anything. They gave him more than anyone could ever hope for in life.

Time to move on. I wasnt excited when they re-signed him.

I was glad when he re-signed with the Braves. His final game in NY was one I would like to forget.

They lost on September 28 to fall into second place for the first time in over four months but pulled back into a tie with Philadelphia on September 29. On September 30, the Mets faced the Florida Marlins with hopes of winning the NL East or at least forcing a one-game playoff. Unfortunately, Tom Glavine surrendered 7 runs in the first inning as the Mets fell 8-1. The Phillies capped their miraculous comeback with a 6-1 victory over the Washington Nationals to win the National League East.

Archived