All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

Oh yeah, they also have a good selection of local in state brews as well as some of the larger single bottles I've heard you guys talk about...like all three of the Chimays (Red,Blue and White I believe). Also saw a large Sam Adams Chocolate Beer I believe.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winn Dixie on Govt Blvd in Mobile has finally about to finish their remodel. They've turned from Crack Dixie to the nicest place to buy stuff in Dtown and Midtown. Anywho I noticed they have 4 of the TommyKnockers and several High Grav's this is a positive change for Mobile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried a 6 pack of Blue Dog Wild Blueberry Lager I saw at the Grocery store 8% alcohol. They were priced good at 6.99. It took alot for me to drink two of them. They don't exactly taste like a beer, its kind of like combining a grapico and some alcohol. Don't waste your money. I haven't decided what to do with the other 4.

Second beer I tried was a Titan IPA on draft at Baumhauers Wings. Solid IPA with a citrusy hoppy tatse. Would recommend again. 7% alcohol.

I tried a 6 pack of Blue Dog Wild Blueberry Lager I saw at the Grocery store 8% alcohol. They were priced good at 6.99. It took alot for me to drink two of them. They don't exactly taste like a beer, its kind of like combining a grapico and some alcohol. Don't waste your money. I haven't decided what to do with the other 4.

Second beer I tried was a Titan IPA on draft at Baumhauers Wings. Solid IPA with a citrusy hoppy tatse. Would recommend again. 7% alcohol.

Blue dog is another one of the crappy Anheuser Busch products that's packaged to look like it's an independent brewery. I'm surprised you managed to drink two of them. Red bridge is another one of their products they get distributors to place in certain locations in the grocery store so you'll think it's on par with Sweetwater or Titan etc. There's also some beer with a snow man on it that's supposed to be some vanilla whiskey beer that's God awful.

It's just the Busch people flipping out because Americans are getting around to realizing all of their products are cheap swill.

They've gotten to the point now where they'll make a beer as similar as possible to a certain craft product like say, Dogfish Head Chicory Stout, call their product Chicory stout, then sue the smaller brewer for using the same name because they know the small guys don't have the money to fight the Busch family lawyers.

I quit drinking their products years ago.

So I came across a pleasant surprise last week when I tried a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA. Great smooth IPA without a strong soapy finish.

I was shocked that they could pull that one off. I'm not normally a fan of Sam Adams stuff besides their regular one.

21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon Wheat - I just had to try a beer brewed with watermelon. Let's just say it would make a good grass cuttin' brew, but other than that...not so great. Wife really liked it (and that usually means it doesn't taste like anything).

Dogfish Head Aprihop - (Don't know why I was on a fruit kick) IPA brewed with apricots. Pretty good. A little sweet for my taste, but was not overpowering. Could definitely taste the apricots in it. I would drink this one again.

21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon Wheat - I just had to try a beer brewed with watermelon. Let's just say it would make a good grass cuttin' brew, but other than that...not so great. Wife really liked it (and that usually means it doesn't taste like anything).

Dogfish Head Aprihop - (Don't know why I was on a fruit kick) IPA brewed with apricots. Pretty good. A little sweet for my taste, but was not overpowering. Could definitely taste the apricots in it. I would drink this one again.

I just tried the Watermelon Wheat a couple of nights ago. Just moved to Atlanta and it's miles ahead of Auburn in beer selection. Doesn't have much of a taste and is pretty sweet. I will not be buying it again

I also picked up Guinness Foreign Extra the same night. If you like dark beers I would recommend that you give this one a try. It tastes similar to Guinness Extra Stout, but it is 7.5% ABV. Still tastes like a Guinness though, not like many high gravity beers where you only taste the extra alcohol.

I just tried the Watermelon Wheat a couple of nights ago. Just moved to Atlanta and it's miles ahead of Auburn in beer selection. Doesn't have much of a taste and is pretty sweet. I will not be buying it again

I also picked up Guinness Foreign Extra the same night. If you like dark beers I would recommend that you give this one a try. It tastes similar to Guinness Extra Stout, but it is 7.5% ABV. Still tastes like a Guinness though, not like many high gravity beers where you only taste the extra alcohol.

I had the Foreign Extra's a few weeks ago as well. Really enjoyed them. Bitter up front and malty aftertaste.

I've had Sweetwater Blue and it's ok for a fruit flavored beer but I think watermelon might be too much for me. I'm sure i'll get around to trying one sooner or later but i'm not going to put down a few bucks to buy a 6 pack of something I could potentially hate.

If you're a fan of Meantime IPA, give the Stone 14th anniversary a shot. Leaps and bounds better then the 13th which is still all over shelves in Atlanta. Sublimely self righteous ale is still around and it's worth buying a couple bottles being that I think it tastes even better with a couple months on it.

• 1 month later...
Deep-fried beer invented in Texas

A chef in Texas has created what he claims is the world's first recipe for deep-fried beer.

By Nick Allen in Los Angeles

Published: 7:50PM BST 31 Aug 2010

beer_1705983c.jpg

Ravioli like pieces of pretzel dough are deep fried for about 20 seconds

The beer is placed inside a pocket of salty, pretzel-like dough and then dunked in oil at 375 degrees for about 20 seconds, a short enough time for the confection to remain alcoholic.

When diners take a bite the hot beer mixes with the dough in what is claimed to be a delicious taste sensation.

Inventor Mark Zable said it had taken him three years to come up with the cooking method and a patent for the process is pending. He declined to say whether any special ingredients were involved.

His deep-fried beer will be officially unveiled in a fried food competition at the Texas state fair later this month.

Five ravioli-like pieces will sell for $5 (£3) and the Texas Alcoholic Commission has already ruled that people must be aged over 21 to try it.

Mr Zable has so far been deep frying Guinness but said he may switch to a pale ale in future.

He said: "Nobody has been able to fry a liquid before. It tastes like you took a bite of hot pretzel dough and then took a drink of beer." Mr Zable previously invented dishes including chocolate-covered strawberry waffle balls and jalapeño corndog shrimps.

Last year's winner of the Texas state fair fried food competition was a recipe for deep-fried butter.

link

I was in Boston last week and had a great hefeweizen. It was Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbeir Hell. The "hell" part just means "pale" as opposed to the "dunkel" which is a dark wheat version. Great flavor. It's also quite large. The bottle was 1 pint, 9 oz. or 25oz. total. In other words, it's more than two regular 12 oz. beers in one bottle. So don't be counting bottles on this one or you'll pass out a lot quicker than you expect. ;)

This beer made by "Tecate"

It is a hot beer- actually has chilly pepper in the beer. Was kind of a different taste, drinking something cold that heated up your mouth.

beer-8.jpg

It is a hot beer- actually has chilly pepper in the beer. Was kind of a different taste, drinking something cold that heated up your mouth.

That, along with Tigermikes fried stuff, just looks like heartburn to me!

That, along with Tigermikes fried stuff, just looks like heartburn to me!

We do like our food and drink with a little heat here in Texas.

• 1 month later...

Bump...

Anyone had anything exciting lately? I recently had one of my old favorites - Stone Imperial Russian Stout. Pours black as a barrel of crude and almost as thick (the few carbonation bubbles looked like they were having a hard time reaching the surface). Sweet, chocolate achohol aroma. Taste is suprisingly smooth and delicate considering the color and alchohol content. Flavors of chocolate, coffee and licorice. Mmmmm...this one has been and remains one of my all time favorites.

• 1 month later...

New Beer Blog on AL.com

http://blog.al.com/whats-brewing/index.html

That happy, smiley guy to the left is the Press-Register's resident beer nut (and page designer) Dan Murphy. (And yes, the photo is supposed to be funny.)

Dan is the author of al.com's new beer blog, What's Brewing.

Dan is also the Mobile/Baldwin chapter head of Free The Hops. You can catch him on Twitter @BWWhatsBrewing.

I am glad to see some of the Beer Craze finally catching on in Mobile.

• 8 months later...

The Oberon is a great summer beer. I've yet to have anything from Bell's that I didn't like. Try some others if you have a decent selection available. Sometimes they are hard to find, especially their seasonal offerings. The Hopslam and Expedition Stout are two of my favorites.

Oberon is easily one of my favorite beers. My favorite Summer seasonal.

Bell's makes some quality brews.

Unfortunate thing for me is that they don't sell any Bell's products on this side of tennessee.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that Publix in the Bham area is now carrying Red Brick Porter. This is a bad ass brewery out of Atlanta that I toured. Their Porter is an oatmeal porter and this is one solid beer. Has a hint of coffee too but not overpowering.

Definitely pick it up if you want something different.

You can get Oberon at publix too. Some of Bell's darker ales are really good as well.

• 3 months later...

Drove to Fort Oglethorpe, GA(Beverage World) from Chattanooga for this. Available in limited quantities from various brew stores. The store I picked mine up was only offering 4 bottles per person($2.99/bottle). I had to show up at 5PM to reserve a 4 pack. I called ahead in advance last week and they informed me when the next shipment was. I can be a bit of a beer geek/snob, but I've never made sure I was at the store at an exact time for any brew.

It is incredible. 2012 Hopslam is 10% alc/vol, so tread lightly. Very easy to drink despite the high alcohol content. Refreshing and not abrasive like some other beers that pride themselves on amounts of hop. Absolutely a must-buy for anyone who appreciates a good brew.

Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bell's Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bell's repertoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/19-Hopslam%20Ale

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112

3849817c.jpg

FYI, if you are in the Huntsville(or Chattanooga) area and like a wide and ample variety of brews, it'd be worth the trip to Fort Oglethorpe's Beverage World. They have 20 taps of craft beer to fill growlers as well as home brewer's kits and they just started aging brews. The shelves pictured above also have another side full of more.

a5a22fac.jpg

8c0ca980.jpg

080b104e.jpg

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17419/?view=beerfly&ba=Bennettrox

http://www.ourbeers.com/welcome-beverage-world

Check their FB for any updates on new beer arrivals: http://www.facebook.com/newbeers

Archived