All Things Beer ...

MDM4AU

I emailed the sales director for Sweetwater Brewing this weekend to let them know that they had some cases of out of date 420 at Sams Club in Mobile. They were stacked on top of the new shipment and people not paying attention would buy an ood case. Pretty cool I got a personal email back and saw where he cc'd the distributor for the area. If you haven't tried it the 420 and the Blue are two great choices.

The IPA is their best imo.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. After reading this thread I am amazed. $9.99 a six pack? That's an 18 pack ofSouthPaw urine......

FTFY

Damn, Chimay Red is good.

Did you drink it warm or cold? I feel like BZ likes his microwaved...

I missed this pun, the paperwork with the set said best at 54 degrees I think, but to me you got more of the flavor when it did warm up a little. Side note we had some pledges sneak in a case of Beast red one year during hell week, so we confiscated them, put them in the oven and heated them up then let them drink hot beer with their cheerios for breakfast. I'd gag drinking a cold Beast Red, but it was pretty damn funny watching them puke.

Wow. After reading this thread I am amazed. $9.99 a six pack? That's an 18 pack of SouthPaw......

And at The Kroger here in Atlanta, you can make your own 6 pack for about 8.99 I think. Decent selection too.

Greens/Tower has many single beers that run $9.99 or more. You pay for what you get.

Y'all all appear to like the Chimay Red...have y'all tried Blue? Blue was one of the first Belgian strong ales we got over here and remains a favorite to this day. Only thing that stinks is that it got real popular and the price went up to a point where I don't feel like buying it.

I emailed the sales director for Sweetwater Brewing this weekend to let them know that they had some cases of out of date 420 at Sams Club in Mobile. They were stacked on top of the new shipment and people not paying attention would buy an ood case. Pretty cool I got a personal email back and saw where he cc'd the distributor for the area. If you haven't tried it the 420 and the Blue are two great choices.

That's good to hear. Their beer is unpasteurized and they take pride in their product. Some of their stuff ages well but i'm guessing a 420 would turn into a tasteless mess after a while.

I've recently rounded out the local selection of Founders beers with the Double Trouble IPA. If you don't enjoy a bitter finish to a beer, then I probaly wouldn't recommend this one. However, I do and this one was pretty tasty. I picked up a mango flavor at first, then lots of grapefruit and the final bitter bite at the end. Not as good as Bells HopSlam, but I would purchase it again. I've really enjoyed all the Founders I have had recently.

Also had a few Dale's Pale Ale. Good beer does come in a can. If you have never tried any of the beers from Oskar Blues I highly recommend Dale's Pale and also their Ten FIDY Imperial Stout (Ten FIDY because it pours as black as 10W-50 motor oil, but oh so good.)

Did you ever get their Nemesis beer? How I described it in my review

Weird, weird beer. I poured it the best I could and didn't get much of a head for it. Within a few seconds for letting it sit in the glass, the smell of bourbon came out in a strong fashion. It came out strong with the sweeter, vanillia, bourbon, alcohol taste to say the least. The first sip or two were almost too much to describe. Not a beer that lingers on the pallet becuase it goes from super strong to light flavors in a matter of seconds. As it mellowed, the more subtle flavors of the syrup/maple give way to a bit of the wheat. Can't say i'm going to travel the earth to find more 17 dollar 4 packs of the stuff but i'll enjoy another bottle and let the other age for a bit.

I've got two more of them that i'm probably going to let age for a while. Other cool stuff I had lately was the Cigar City Rye Oatmeal Brown ale and Winter Warmer Warmer Winter Old Ale. I've yet to have a bad product from them.

Did you ever get their Nemesis beer? How I described it in my review

Weird, weird beer. I poured it the best I could and didn't get much of a head for it. Within a few seconds for letting it sit in the glass, the smell of bourbon came out in a strong fashion. It came out strong with the sweeter, vanillia, bourbon, alcohol taste to say the least. The first sip or two were almost too much to describe. Not a beer that lingers on the pallet becuase it goes from super strong to light flavors in a matter of seconds. As it mellowed, the more subtle flavors of the syrup/maple give way to a bit of the wheat. Can't say i'm going to travel the earth to find more 17 dollar 4 packs of the stuff but i'll enjoy another bottle and let the other age for a bit.

I've got two more of them that i'm probably going to let age for a while. Other cool stuff I had lately was the Cigar City Rye Oatmeal Brown ale and Winter Warmer Warmer Winter Old Ale. I've yet to have a bad product from them.

I couldn't find any. However, it seems to be awfully similar to their Backwoods Bastard from your description. I couldn't drink more than one at a time, but it was a "unique" beer nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a new German beer - Kulmbacher Eisbock. The original Ice Beer. I never really understood (or cared) about the term Ice Beer commonly associated with Bud Ice and such. However, this one has a pretty neat story associated with it: A long, long time ago in a far away land someone left a barrel of beer in yard all winter and it froze. The barrel busted and the remanent was nothing but a block of frozen beer goodness. The process of freezing the beer inhanced the flavor and increased the alcohol content. Alas...Eisbock.

Makes sense. The water freezes and floats to the top, the brewer skims the ice off the surface and whats left is stronger in taste and in alcohol content. For those who like the Belgian Strong Ales, I would recommend this one. Very sweet aroma and taste. Lots of malt and sugar cane flavors. Expensive though ($15 six pack).

Finally got around to the Chimay White. It's got a funny aftertaste. The Red and Blue are leaps and bounds above the White. Glad I tried it but won't be rebuying it. The drinkability is smooth up front but the aftertaste is a funny bitter taste that isn't all that pleasant.

Finally got around to the Chimay White. It's got a funny aftertaste. The Red and Blue are leaps and bounds above the White. Glad I tried it but won't be rebuying it. The drinkability is smooth up front but the aftertaste is a funny bitter taste that isn't all that pleasant.

Wow, I couldn't peg it before, but this is EXACTLY what I don't like about the White. It starts fine. And it's crisper and lighter than the red or blue...but it finishes funny.

Beer Theories:

Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.."

Babe Ruth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Lyndon B. Johnson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Paul Horning

~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case.

Coincidence? I think not."

H. L. Mencken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.

When we commit no sin, we go to heaven..

So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"

George Bernard Shaw

~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Dave Barry

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.!

W. C. Fields

Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser! .

Professor Irwin Corey

To some it's a six-pack, to me it's Support Group Salvation in a can!

Leo Durocher

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the" Buffalo Theory" to his buddy Norm:

"Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members! In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

WarEagle'04?

Did you get Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout in your parts?

No. Have you had it? The regular Breakfast Stout sold out immediately and its also seasonal.

Si on the KBS. Most stores in Atlanta got a small amount but being that it's like 18-20 a 4 pack...most people aren't buying it. It's worth it. I went through one and got another to store for a year or so to compare with the next batch.

Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary is a great beer that got some wide distribution. The founders of Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada got together and made this wonderful, wonderful stout.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sierra-nevada-30th-anniversary-fritz-ken-ale/117457/

WarEagle'04?

Did you get Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout in your parts?

No. Have you had it? The regular Breakfast Stout sold out immediately and its also seasonal.

Si on the KBS. Most stores in Atlanta got a small amount but being that it's like 18-20 a 4 pack...most people aren't buying it. It's worth it. I went through one and got another to store for a year or so to compare with the next batch.

Sierra Nevada 30th anniversary is a great beer that got some wide distribution. The founders of Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada got together and made this wonderful, wonderful stout.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/sierra-nevada-30th-anniversary-fritz-ken-ale/117457/

I still haven't seen any Kentucky Breakfast Stout around, but I did recently try their Porter. It was, like everything else I've had from them, really good. Dark chocolate, roasted coffee and a hint of smoke. The best porter I have ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in gulf shores for the last two days and I went to The Crab Trab last night and Pappa Rocco's tonight and still no draft beer. Bud in a Bottle at Crab Trap and Bud in a Can at Poppa Roccos. The Pappa Roccos had a 2 man band playing dirty country while you ate pizza really cool place. I saw a poster for some TommyKnocker but that 8% alcohol would have been heavy with my meal.I'm going to lulu's tomorrow night, hope to have a good draft while on vacation. I know Bud isn't a gourmet beer, but I can't see paying the dollar more for Heineken or Corona, while Bud is the best of the mass produced crap.

To be honest, if you're drinking bud leaded, it's heavier than a lot of high gravity beers in terms of how it sits on your stomach during a meal.

Picked up some PBR tonight, haven't drank that in a very long time. Still one of the best of the macrobrews, not bad at 7 bucks a half case either.

Picked up some PBR tonight, haven't drank that in a very long time. Still one of the best of the macrobrews, not bad at 7 bucks a half case either.

One thing I'll say about PBR, it's actually good from a can. I'd rather have it in a can than a bottle, and unlike many beers (especially Newcastle), it's not considerably better on tap than in its packaged form.

I've heard that about PBR. In fact, the local "high end" beer store where I find most of the good brews carries PBR right next to all the expensive Belgian and German ales and such. So it's got a pretty good rep.

They've got a 2006 Gold Medal award for American Lager on the Box, like Sweetwater puts their 2002 medal on their packaging. It's kind of comical in a way that PBR is cheap and considered a good beer. Lots of Restaurants and Bars around Mobile has PBR specials like $1.50 a can. I would like to try some PBR light but I have never seen it around here.

They must have a good recipe. Or they buy better quality ingredients. Or they don't junk it up as much as Bud and the others do with so many cheap adjuncts like rice and corn.

Product Information

Pabst Blue Ribbon

American Style Premium Lager

Pabst Blue Ribbon is a premium lager brew crafted with a hefty infusion of 6-row barley in its ingredient package, a carefully balanced carbohydrate profile from corn syrup, and a unique combination of Pacific domestic hops blended with an imported Yugoslavian variety. Fermented with a pure culture of yeast and aged at high gravity, PBR is cellared and finished to the smooth, robust likeness of a fine Pilsner.

144 calories

http://pabstblueribbon.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/product-information/

I've always preferred Pabst over the other macro brands. Just tastes more like beer, unlike the other watered down junk.

Had a good spring/summer beer over the weekend:

Saison Dupont Vieille Provision - Saison or Belgium Farmhouse Ale. Very crisp with citrus and yeast notes. Slight bitter finish but does not linger. Pour gently or it will take about 10 minutes for the head to go down. Good beer.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a 6 pack of Sam Adams Summer Ale tonight. Says lemon zest and grains of paradise. Pretty good ale for the summer, will probably buy again.

I found a store here that has a very large selection of beers! Oh Happy Happy Joy JoY! :cheer: :cheer: I am used to having to wait for seasonal varieties of other beers (SA, Leinenkeugles(sp?)). Enough of my self indulgence, I pick up a six pack of Rogue Dead Guy Ale...VERY NICE! :big: I also picked up a conversation six pack, Monty Pythons Holy Grail Ale...haven't had one yet, just thought it was funny.

Archived