Belichick makes dumbest decision ever

TitanTiger

With about 2 mins to play, it's 4th and 2 and the Patriots have the ball on their own 28. They are up 34-28. Now, their defense is gassed from being on the field most of the 2nd half as Indy chipped away at the Pats lead. But instead of punting away and making Manning drive 70 yds, the Pats go for it. Faulk bobbles the catch and doesn't haul it in until he's been knocked back behind the first down marker. Colts ball on the Pats 29 1/2. Colts go down and score the game winning TD with 13 seconds left.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Way to go, Bill.

If an AU coach had done that ... could you imagine the backlash ...

Just made zero sense. Even if you think Peyton can go 70 yards, you have to give your D a chance.

If an AU coach had done that ... could you imagine the backlash ...

Just made zero sense. Even if you think Peyton can go 70 yards, you have to give your D a chance.

Rodney Harrison just said for all the great calls Belichick has made over the years, this one was just dumb. Rodney said that you've got to trust your players, so you punt, and go from there.

while faulk did bobble that ball on 4th down, he had possession of it right on top of the 30 yardline which was the line to gain. I'm surprised they didn't review that play. It should have been an automatic review. 4th down, line to gain in question, and game on the line? How do you NOT review that? Maybe its not reviewable by rule, I don't know. Not losing any sleep over it. I think the play call was stupid, but i also think the patriots got screwed. It should have been a first down for NE.

Oh, and I absolutely DETEST the colts and manning.

while faulk did bobble that ball on 4th down, he had possession of it right on top of the 30 yardline which was the line to gain. I'm surprised they didn't review that play. It should have been an automatic review. 4th down, line to gain in question, and game on the line? How do you NOT review that? Maybe its not reviewable by rule, I don't know. Not losing any sleep over it. I think the play call was stupid, but i also think the patriots got screwed. It should have been a first down for NE.

If the play had occurred after the 2 min warning, there would have been an automatic booth review. Evidently, the Patriots had no TOs, so Belichick could not challenge.

With about 2 mins to play, it's 4th and 2 and the Patriots have the ball on their own 28. They are up 34-28. Now, their defense is gassed from being on the field most of the 2nd half as Indy chipped away at the Pats lead. But instead of punting away and making Manning drive 70 yds, the Pats go for it. Faulk bobbles the catch and doesn't haul it in until he's been knocked back behind the first down marker. Colts ball on the Pats 29 1/2. Colts go down and score the game winning TD with 13 seconds left.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy. Way to go, Bill.

Heh. Belicheat did himself for a change. :rolleyes:

You don't know they got screwed. It looked to me like he didn't have full possession until he had been knocked back behind the first down line. And unfortunately the view that was probably the best wasn't right in line with the 30 yd line, it was behind it, which gives the perspective most likely to make Faulk look further forward. I certainly didn't see any angle that would have made me as an official change the ruling on the field. It wasn't even close to definitive.

But there should have been a mechanism for review there regardless. One reason the college review rules are better than the NFL's. Of course, the Pats screwed themselves on that one by burning their last two timeouts for no apparent reason.

You don't know they got screwed. It looked to me like he didn't have full possession until he had been knocked back behind the first down line. And unfortunately the view that was probably the best wasn't right in line with the 30 yd line, it was behind it, which gives the perspective most likely to make Faulk look further forward. I certainly didn't see any angle that would have made me as an official change the ruling on the field. It wasn't even close to definitive.

But there should have been a mechanism for review there regardless. One reason the college review rules are better than the NFL's. Of course, the Pats screwed themselves on that one by burning their last two timeouts for no apparent reason.

I'm pretty sure they burned them because they had every intention of getting a first down and closing out the game.

Man, no to the Saints, no to the Colts. Are there any NFL teams you do like? :poke:

I think he's a big Seminoles fan. ;) They're a professional team, right? :o

Their payroll is about on par with Oakland's, as are the results on the field.

I do believe you give your defense a chance to help seal the deal but I don't think it was as horrible of a call as most people think. Gruden on MNF even stated that he punted the ball to Peyton Manning with about 2:30 left in the game being up 35-14. Peyton and the Colts won the game in overtime.

Belichick gives a future hall of fame quarterback and great offense a chance to gain 2 yards to seal the deal. I bet that offense gets those 2 yards 8 out of 10 times.

Belicheck's decision was/is highly questionable, but Cincinnati coach Sam Wyche had one in 1987 against the 49ers that was completely and totally incomprehensible and indefensible.

Situation: Bengals are up 26-20, 0:06 to go in the game, 4th down, ball on about their own 30...you either (a) punt or (B) have the punter take the snap, run the opposite direction, kill the clock and take a safety.

Right?

Well, not Sam Wyche.

He calls a running play...the RB (I think it was James Brooks, actually) gets thrown for a loss before the clock runs out. Clock stopped on the change of possession and SF, with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice among others, has one shot at the end zone from around Cincinnati's 25.

One play later, TD pass from Montana to Rice...PAT gives the 49ers a 27-26 win.

This is still the single dumbest decision I've ever seen an NFL coach make.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, back on topic, ol' Hoodie had some 'splainin' to do...he basically threw his defense under the bus and said "I don't think y'all can stop him." Ouch.

Archived