SEC Holding Calls

autiger6

So Ingram's long screen play tonight has a hold and clear block in the back. I was reading that Alabama hasn't been called for holding since Oct 17th. Wow

Here is what I found

Considering that holding is one of the most damaging penalties in football, because it often negates a big play and/or backs a team up and stops a drive (can you say 2nd down and 20), we need to do whatever alabama is doing on their offensive line to make sure every block they make on almost EVERY PLAY is clean, legal and within the rules.

The alabama offensive line, despite having five guys going to war with defensive players on play after play, only held on one play in one game during their last six SEC games down the stretch of this season. You have to go back six SEC games, to the South Carolina game on Oct. 17, to find the last time they held against an SEC opponent. These guys are incredible!

What makes this even more impressive is that FIVE of those six SEC opponents during this time WERE CALLED FOR HOLDING while playing alabama.

alabama did not hold against Florida, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU or Tennessee. Apparently, in a momentary lapse in judgment, a bama player did grab a jersey on one play of the game against South Carolina. However, Florida, Auburn, MIssissippi State, Tennessee and South Carolina were all called for holding while playing alabama.

So Ingram's long screen play tonight has a hold and clear block in the back. I was reading that Alabama hasn't been called for holding since Oct 17th. Wow

Here is what I found

Considering that holding is one of the most damaging penalties in football, because it often negates a big play and/or backs a team up and stops a drive (can you say 2nd down and 20), we need to do whatever alabama is doing on their offensive line to make sure every block they make on almost EVERY PLAY is clean, legal and within the rules.

The alabama offensive line, despite having five guys going to war with defensive players on play after play, only held on one play in one game during their last six SEC games down the stretch of this season. You have to go back six SEC games, to the South Carolina game on Oct. 17, to find the last time they held against an SEC opponent. These guys are incredible!

What makes this even more impressive is that FIVE of those six SEC opponents during this time WERE CALLED FOR HOLDING while playing alabama.

alabama did not hold against Florida, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU or Tennessee. Apparently, in a momentary lapse in judgment, a bama player did grab a jersey on one play of the game against South Carolina. However, Florida, Auburn, MIssissippi State, Tennessee and South Carolina were all called for holding while playing alabama.

The holding call against Bama during their game against the Gamecocks was on a kick-return. That means 8 straight games without their OL being called on a holding penalty.

This means that Alabama has only been called for holding in one SEC game. Wow. That's an incredible statistic. Kudos to their offensive line coach and to the SEC office for arranging this scenario. If they happen to draw PAC-10 refs for the Championship game, they will not be called for holding in it either. PAC-10 never calls holding. It's one of the reasons their defenses get a bad rap.

It'd be cool if you point out how infrequently holding gets called against teams we play.

Florida got it called once on a WR who almost ripped the jersey off our DB which opened the edge. Other than that, nothing.

Hey BG this is all they have. They said we would never be anything in football again. They said Saban would bolt after a couple years and would do nothing. They made fun of the "process." They said they would beat us. They said we would get beat by other teams. They said we would never win with McElroy as QB. They say we cheated. They said the refs cheated for us. They said FLA would kill us. Now they will grasp at anything they can. YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Fact is that the ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE is the 2009 SEC CHAMPS and we have a RB that will win the Heisman. Give credit where it is due. :ua:

I am glad somebody else saw the holding and the block in the back on Ingram's long screen pass play.

Alabama beats Florida no matter what the refs call, but they lose two this year without their friends.

Hey BG this is all they have. They said we would never be anything in football again. They said Saban would bolt after a couple years and would do nothing. They made fun of the "process." They said they would beat us. They said we would get beat by other teams. They said we would never win with McElroy as QB. They say we cheated. They said the refs cheated for us. They said FLA would kill us. Now they will grasp at anything they can. YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Fact is that the ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE is the 2009 SEC CHAMPS and we have a RB that will win the Heisman. Give credit where it is due. :ua:

We've still got that you cheated, also.

I think Alabama is the best team in the country. I think their inability to be dominant every single week should have cost them two games this year. I think the refs helped keep that from happening. Same with Florida, except only one regular season game.

Thats awesome. I knew it was only a matter of time before the "Bama holds on every play" thread would get started.

You guys are way to predictable.

Its great to be a Tide fan.

Thats awesome. I knew it was only a matter of time before the "Bama holds on every play" thread would get started.

I'm glad that we are thought of so highly. You know where to come for the truth.

And the other fact is that you are the most arrogant, egotistical and obnoxious fan base in the entire country. Besides, we still know you cheat. It's what you have done for over 80 years as an INSTITUTION. Congrats on the sec title (while you have it), but it wouldn't surprise me at all for it to be taken away from you in 2-3 years. Are you really a REV? You sure are an arrogant and egotistical individual to have that title.

I love how, for years, you guys always said "complaining about the refs is something Bammers do"...

Now it's OK because YOU'RE doing it.

32-13: blame the refs.

Missed holding calls in any game irritate me to no end not just because Bama gets away with it.

I don't see you screaming about the 2 clips on Brandon James' big punt return.

Or LSU's awful hold on Cody on their last TD.

That's what y'all have been doing all year. Complain about some call we got, but ignore all the others the other teams got.

Missed holding calls in any game irritate me to no end not just because Bama gets away with it.

That's what y'all have been doing all year. Complain about some call we got, but ignore all the others the other teams got.

when did this "allegedly" happen?

Also, go back and watch the tape on the screen...

It's not blocking in the back if they engage in the front first. Vlachos did block Spikes in the back, but AFTER he engaged him up front first. Same for Peek on the sideline.

Also, go back and watch the tape on the screen...

It's not blocking in the back if they engage in the front first. Vlachos did block Spikes in the back, but AFTER he engaged him up front first. Same for Peek on the sideline.

very true, but they also have to maintain contact with the defender turning on them. If there is separation then a block from behind its illegal. I didn't see it or much of the game, so I have no idea what happened, just adding to the rule clarification.

Calm down rev... no one is taking anything away from your selfworth and Alabama winning the 2009 SECC. I have never made a post in regards to Bama not being a good team or that they are cheating. I simply responded to the initial poster that Alabama's OL has not been called for 1 single holding penalty in 8 consecutive games. The odds of that happening are slim to none whether you want to admit it or not. This is more of a reflection of poor officiating than the play of Alabama's football team this season.

Actually, it was the opposite...consternation at how in the world anyone goes 8 straight games without even ONE holding call.

Holding another bama tradishun. it goes way back including a bama player having an Auburn player in a bear hug (supported by film) as Stabler ran for a TD in the rain and bama beat us 7-3.

Uh why you jumping me BG? That post was my only comment on this thread so simmer down. I don't scream about any missed calls cause with SEC officals I would lose my voice by about the second series of the game.

Uh why you jumping me BG? That post was my only comment on this thread so simmer down. I don't scream about any missed calls cause with SEC officals I would lose my voice by about the second series of the game.

You have to understand the hypocritical bammers. Some have complained all year about how bad SEC officiating is.

Archived