Republicans cry about how much judicial experience matters...except for their candidates

"I mean, one reason I felt so strongly about Harriet Miers's qualifications is I thought she would fill some very important gaps in the Supreme Court. Because right now you have people who've been federal judges, circuit judges most of their lives, or academicians. And what you see is a lack of grounding in reality and common sense that I think would be very beneficial."

-- Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), quoted by Salon, on the lack of judicial experience of Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, October 27, 2005.

"Ms. Kagan is likewise a surprising choice because she lacks judicial experience. Most Americans believe that prior judicial experience is a necessary credential for a Supreme Court Justice."

-- Cornyn, earlier today on Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.

My link

"I mean, one reason I felt so strongly about Harriet Miers's qualifications is I thought she would fill some very important gaps in the Supreme Court. Because right now you have people who've been federal judges, circuit judges most of their lives, or academicians. And what you see is a lack of grounding in reality and common sense that I think would be very beneficial."

-- Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), quoted by Salon, on the lack of judicial experience of Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, October 27, 2005.

"Ms. Kagan is likewise a surprising choice because she lacks judicial experience. Most Americans believe that prior judicial experience is a necessary credential for a Supreme Court Justice."

-- Cornyn, earlier today on Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.

My link

Ms Kagan's life experience is not grounded in reality. Look at her.

Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning, quoted in the Cincinnati Enquirer on Oct. 20, 2005: "From her background, she looks like she's qualified to be a judge, but what does that tell me about her? It doesn't tell me anything."

South Dakota Sen. John Thune, in the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Argus Leader on Oct. 19, 2005: "'I want to know if she's someone who will be grounded, who will not be blown by the Washington culture,' said Thune, who also noted that he was not troubled by the fact that she does not have any judicial experience because she has extensive practical experience as a lawyer."

Ohio Sen. Mike DeWine (who's since retired, replaced by Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown), also in the Enquirer on Oct. 20, 2005: "I think the fact she doesn't have judicial experience will add to the diversity of the Supreme Court. There is no reason everyone has to have that same background."

My link

Once again we have the Dem. party supporting an unqualified candidate for one of the highest positions in the land.

• 3 weeks later...
Obama Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan has been criticized by some Republican senators for lacking judicial experience. But Justice Antonin Scalia, the High Court’s most outspoken conservative, said Wednesday that he likes that the former Harvard Law School dean and Solicitor General is not currently a judge.

“When I first came to the Supreme Court, three of my colleagues had never been a federal judge,” said Scalia who joined the Court in 1986 after being nominated by President Reagan. “William Rehnquist came to the Bench from the Office of Legal Counsel. Byron White was Deputy Attorney General. And Lewis Powell who was a private lawyer in Richmond and had been president of the American Bar Association.”

“Currently, there is nobody on the Court who has not served as a judge --indeed, as a federal judge -- all nine of us,” he continued. “. . . I am happy to see that this latest nominee is not a federal judge – and not a judge at all.”

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2010/05/justice-scalia-praises-elena-kagans-lack-of-judicial-experience.html

Being an objective judge is a man's job.

This is the real reason why Republicans don't want to confirm them, and it is a damn good reason.

Being an objective judge is a man's job.

This is the real reason why Republicans don't want to confirm them, and it is a damn good reason.

It(Obama's nominee) looks like more of a man than some men I've seen.

Once again we have the Dem. party supporting an unqualified candidate for one of the highest positions in the land.

You really don't think she is qualified? I'm not asking if you agree with here or not, but I don't see how you say she isn't qualified. Is it just because she isn't a judge?

You really don't think she is qualified? I'm not asking if you agree with here or not, but I don't see how you say she isn't qualified. Is it just because she isn't a judge?

Obama's other nominee was clearly not qualified even though she had been a judge before. Anybody that can make the ruling she did in the firefighters case is clearly not acting as a judge. And no its not because she didn't agree with me, it is because she wouldn't agree with herself if the races were switched.

We will only be able to judge this current nominee's qualifications after it serves a while.

Archived