Baseball attendance....

On AuburnUndercover Philip Marshall wrote a column on I think Friday or Saturday inquiring how AU can have like only 2500 fans for the UT series. I know school is not in session but I wonder that myself. Ole Miss will have 10,000 a game for Auburn next week and Auburn cannot generate even half that. I do not really understand that.

Oh before I get bashed I live in Huntsville but went to the entire UT series.

I went Friday night. I guess I didn't think it was bad attendance. The stadium seats 4000, and only 3200 of it is in the chairback seats. Friday was graduation and we're between semesters. I guess I just didn't see attendance in the 2600-3000 range as that bad all things considered. And I also disagree that the crowd was "closer to 2000" on Friday as PM said. It was sparse at the start, but kept filling in as the game went on. I think it was certainly at 2600 by midway through.

And I'll say this too: Ole Miss had 6800 at their last home game vs Arkansas. They were battling them for the SEC West lead. So I hardly think 10,000 at Ole Miss is a given. Not to mention, Ole Miss isn't coming off 6 straight years of missing the SEC tourney.

I also did a little checking on some other teams. Florida is a top 5 team this year. In their last three series, they've had attendance ranging from 2800 (Arkansas) to 4300 (Georgia). Their stadium holds 5500.

Tennessee had won 9 of their last 10 coming into the series against Auburn this weekend. Their last two home game attendance figures: 1800 and 1100. Capacity: 3712

Alabama has had pretty good success the last several years and has a stadium that holds 6500+. They hovered right around 4000 in attendance their last two series against top teams Ole Miss and Florida. And you know the Ole Miss games had more than a few Rebels who made the short trip over to Tuscaloosa.

I think Auburn can and will do better in baseball attendance, but it will have to build. It's not going to just appear after this many years of mediocrity.

One last point. Auburn is currently ranked #25 in the nation in baseball attendance for this season:

1. LSU - 10,661

2. Arkansas - 7455

3. Ole Miss - 6687

4. South Carolina - 6614

6. Miss. State - 6074

10. Alabama - 4103

15. Florida - 3284

22. Georgia - 2680

25. Auburn - 2433

29. Vandy - 2175

32. Kentucky - 1879

http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/news/2010/100503attendance.pdf

I think given that Auburn has been a program in disarray since 2003, we're doing pretty well. And if we sustain success for back to back seasons, you'll see those figures go up.

LSU is case in point. They are having a sub-par year (they might not even make the SEC tourney) but they are #1 in attendance after having many years of success.

Archived