louisville

georgia tech

Auburn Regional is as follows:

Auburn vs. Jacksonville State

Southern Miss vs. Clemson

Other SEC teams:

LSU goes to: Los Angeles vs. UC IRVINE.

UCLA matches up vs. Kent State

Ole Miss goes to Virginia, and faces st. john's in the opening game.

Vanderbilt gets Illinois state in the Louisville regional

uat goes to Atlanta regional vs. ElON first round.

Georgia tech vs. Mercer in that regional as well.

South Carolina vs. Bucknell

The Citadel Vs. Virginia tech

Arkansas vs. grambling

The schedule...

bracketwi.jpg

Friday

Game 1: 2:00 CT - Clemson vs. Southern Miss

Game 2: 6:00 CT - Auburn vs. Jacksonville State

Saturday

Game 4: 2:00 CT - Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser

Game 3: 6:00 CT - Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner

Sunday

Game 5: 1:00 CT - Game 3 Loser vs. Game 4 Winner

Game 6: 5:00 CT - Game 3 Winner vs. Game 5 Winner

Monday (if necessary)

Game 7: 6:00 CT - Game 6 Winner vs. Game 6 Loser

Complete NCAA Bracket

LSU, the SEC Tourney Champs, got hosed.

I really don't think so. They were rather weak all season and were the #8 and last seed in the SEC tournament. They did win three straight in the tournament, but that shouldn't make up for a whole season of mediocre play, IMHO.

anybody heard anything about tv for this one? I know ESPNU is airing regional games all day beginning at 11:00 CST on Friday and Saturday, but at last look they hadn't set the games they are gonna air. I'm guessing they will stick to airing the top 8 seeds games, but you never know.

LSU, the SEC Tourney Champs, got hosed.

I really don't think so. They were rather weak all season and were the #8 and last seed in the SEC tournament. They did win three straight in the tournament, but that shouldn't make up for a whole season of mediocre play, IMHO.

I understand but they get shipped to California in a pretty difficult regional. I would just think the SEC Tourney Champ (with a winning record) would get a little better draw.

I was glad to see FSU get the shaft as a #1 and having to go to UCONN.....nice!

I was glad to see FSU get the shaft as a #1 and having to go to UCONN.....nice!

As was I. They are gonna choke this year just like all the others anyway. It's about time the NCAA woke up and quit allowing them to host a regional every year. They sure have been a favorite of the NCAA when the tourney bids have come out over the years. Pretty pathetic for a team that never does anything and never lives up to the hype. Hope they go out in 2 games.

Interesting article on selections and funny business...

NCAA committee makes few puzzling decisions

By Kendall Rogers, Yahoo! Sports

May 31, 5:17 pm EDT

Printable View

Return to Original

Follow Kendall Rogers on Twitter at @ysportsncaabb | Connect to us on Facebook

It’s a strange year for the NCAA selection committee. There are only a few things to be critical about when it comes to this year’s NCAA tournament field.

That’s a good development.

Last year, the committee, specifically chairman Tim Weiser, was roasted over hot coals after giving the Big 12 a record number of bids, making Oklahoma a national seed and somehow finding a way to get Oklahoma State and Baylor in the postseason.

Much to our pleasing, there was no funny business when it comes to the Big 12 this year. The conference received only five bids and one national seed.

The power conferences as a whole, though, were big winners on Monday.

The SEC earned eight bids with Florida as a national seed, the ACC earned eight bids with Virginia and Georgia Tech earning national seeds and the Pac-10 earned eight bids with Arizona State and UCLA earning national seeds.

The committee also did an excellent job with the at-large bids, selecting 63 of 64 teams we had in our final NCAA projections. We opted to put Kentucky in our last field of 64. The committee, though, did not grant Kentucky an at-large bid. It did, however, give Arizona one.

Virginia was not pleased with its No. 5 seed, but the committee did a great job overall.

(Virginia)

That decision was one of few controversial questions posed on Monday.

The argument to exclude Arizona from the field was just as good as the one to include it in the field. Arizona finished the regular season with six straight series losses, including a horrendous home series loss to Cal State Bakersfield. Meanwhile, Kentucky finished the season with 16 wins against RPI top-50 teams. However, it failed to reach the SEC tournament and ended the regular season with a dismal series loss to Georgia.

“In Arizona’s case, I think there was some debate about the fact they took a series from Cal State Fullerton and swept Washington State,” Weiser said. “For me, how teams play down the stretch certainly matters. It’s an important piece, but it’s not the only piece.”

North Carolina’s making the field also was a hot topic.

The Tar Heels, like Kentucky, did not reach their conference tournament. However, they finished the season 7-3 in their last ten games, compiled an overall record of 36-20 and had an impressive RPI of 21. By comparison, UK entered Selection Monday with an RPI of 33 and an inferior record.

“We’ve not suggested that a team has to make its conference’s tournament [to earn a postseason berth]. Different conferences have different qualifications,” Weiser said. “As a committee, we really haven’t discussed that as a criteria for a team to make a regional. In the case of North Carolina, an argument could be made they had as good a season as one of the better 34 teams available to us.”

From an NCAA regional seeding standpoint, California was one of the biggest surprises. The Golden Bears, who enter the tournament with a 29-22 record, are the No. 2 seed in the Norman, Okla., Regional with Oklahoma, Oral Roberts and North Carolina.

Cal’s inclusion to the tournament was a surprise to some. The Golden Bears finished the season with an unimpressive overall record and lost two of their last three series in Pac-10 play. Cal did, however, take two of three from Oregon to end the regular season and swept a series from Arizona earlier this season. A huge strike against them was their 18-18 record against top-100 teams, but that figure didn’t seem to matter.

The Bears should’ve been a bubble team. Instead, they clearly were in the field.

“I would tell you that as much as anything else, Cal’s finish in the Pac-10 and the conference as a whole [helped its case],” Weiser said. “The Bears also had winning records against regional teams Oregon and Oregon State. Those things were factored in, and a majority of the committee agreed [with the decision].”

The race for national seeds also raised some eyebrows on Monday.

For the past few weeks, it seemed like a no-brainer that Arizona State, Texas and Virginia would earn the top three national seeds. The NCAA gave the top two national seeds to ASU and UT, but dropped the Cavaliers to the No. 5 slot behind No. 3 Florida and No. 4 Coastal Carolina.

That decision by the committee was puzzling. Florida being the better national seed at least makes some sense, considering the Gators won the regular-season title in the best RPI conference. However, Coastal had no business being a better seed than Virginia.

Not only did the Cavaliers beat the Chanticleers head-to-head this season but also they compiled a 13-5 record against RPI top-25 teams and a 20-8 record against RPI top-50 teams. By comparison, the Chants recorded just a 2-1 record against RPI top-25 teams and a 13-6 record against RPI top-50 teams.

“At this point things are decided on the field. It’s not to say we don’t care about where teams are as national seeds. But the more important topics are who will be the No. 2 or No. 3 seeds in regionals and who will be the final at-large teams,” Weiser said. “I don’t recall any of us having disagreements about the way the top few national seeds were ranked. I guess we’ll find out if we were right or wrong in the order we had them in, but 70 percent of the vote on national seeds went that way.”

Equally interesting as Virginia’s sudden drop were Georgia Tech’s inclusion as the No. 8 national seed and South Carolina’s omission from the national seeds.

Georgia Tech entered Selection Monday with a fantastic RPI, but that is where its advantages over South Carolina end. The Yellow Jackets compiled a 9-4 record against RPI top-25 teams and a 14-10 mark against RPI top-50 teams. By comparison, the Gamecocks, which also had a solid RPI, were 11-8 against RPI top-25 teams and 20-12 against RPI top-50 teams.

South Carolina’s 0-2 record at the SEC tournament certainly hurt them on Selection Monday, but it also must be noted the Gamecocks finished the regular season just a game back of No. 3 national seed Florida in the SEC standings.

“When you’re seeding the No. 7 and No. 8 national seeds, those historically are the toughest to seed because you usually have several teams vying for those spots,” Weiser said. “There are plenty of factors that went into the decision on Georgia Tech over South Carolina, including RPI, strength of schedule in and out of conference and the ability to compare common opponents.”

Though the committee did a few things we consider to be mistakes, they did a fantastic job overall and made no decisions leaving us scratching our heads.

For that, they deserve at least a grade of B+.

Odds and ends

Weiser said some committee members value the RPI and other factors more than their colleagues. He said it sometimes is difficult to balance everything once you put all the resumes together. … Weiser discussed Arkansas as a regional host. He said the Razorbacks’ RPI and overall body of work was a huge factor in their earning a host site and that there wasn’t much debate about Arkansas hosting. However, there was plenty of debate about Florida State or Connecticut hosting. Connecticut is hosting FSU, and Weiser said that when an opportunity presents itself from an RPI and resume standpoint, the committee would like to put a regional in the northern half of the country to generate interest and get some exposure in the region without sacrificing the integrity of the postseason selections. … Weiser discussed the possibility of TCU as a national seed. He said that TCU was in a different place than Georgia Tech and South Carolina because it had what the committee considered to be some very bad losses. Weiser obviously is referring to iffy play against Air Force a few weeks ago. The committee’s penalizing TCU for that series is no surprise. It’s something we predicted a long time ago. … Weiser said each year is different when it comes to teams from non-Big Six conferences having to win their conference tournaments after winning the regular-season title to make a postseason appearance. In the case of Texas State, the Bobcats went 4-2 in the SLC tournament but lacked impressive wins against RPI top-50 teams.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/news?slug=kr-selectionday053110

Obviously they are good or they wouldn't be in the tourney. But what do you guys know about Jacksonville State, Southern Miss & Clemson?

Jacksonville St. won the Ohio Valley Conference this past week or weekend.

Southern Miss started off the season really slow but really turned it on over the last 4 weeks of the season and won the CUSA Tourney Championship. They won 20 of their last 28 games and basically played their way into a regional. They have a stud pitcher, Scott Copeland, who is 11-0 this season and will likely pitch against Clemson. Their best player is B.A. Vollmuth...he is a really solid all around guy and has a lot of power. They are a solid team and are playing their best ball right now....ironically this team really mirrors last years team who caught fire at the end of the season and knocked of Ga Tech in the regional and then UF in the super regional to make it to Omaha for the first time in the schools history in 2009...Brett Favre visited the team at the beginning of their run and told them if they make it to Omaha he would play football again this season...I doubt them making it to Omaha decides his future...but they really have been playing like they want to get back there since he met with them. They will bring a good crowd over from Hattiesburg...

I would not be at all suprised to see them knock off Clemson in game 1. They are a good team but we have played several teams that are as good or better this season....

I just hope our bats come alive and we do what we have done all season! War Eagle!!!

anybody heard anything about tv for this one? I know ESPNU is airing regional games all day beginning at 11:00 CST on Friday and Saturday, but at last look they hadn't set the games they are gonna air. I'm guessing they will stick to airing the top 8 seeds games, but you never know.

I was ramped up to go home this evening and watch the AU game. . . NO TV! YIKES!

Are there any workarounds? Radio feeds, etc.?

It will be on 102.3 (Roanoke) and 97.7 (Auburn) but if you're more than a few miles away that won't help you. There is some way to get it over your computer but I think you have to sign up and pay.

Barring that, Gametracker may be your only hope.

SWEET!!!!! I saw tailgates being set up across the street from the PP as well! WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Let's get it goin'!

Is Auburn's game going to be on TV?

Nevermind, it's not going to be on TV.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060210aac.html

AUBURN TIGERS (40-19, 20-10 SEC)

at

THE 2010 NCAA AUBURN REGIONAL

Friday, June 4 vs. Jacksonville State (6pm)

Radio: Auburn Network

TV: None

Pitching Matchup: So. LHP Cory Luckie (6-4, 5.68) vs. Sr. RHP Austin Lucas (6-0, 4.97)

ok... Update on the coverage. I know there is no tv for tonight's game, but cbssports.com is airing ALL REGIONAL GAMES LIVE for FREE. AUDIO ONLY apparently, but better than nothing....

another update: Just pulled the feed back up, and I have a LIVE VIDEO feed of Clemson vs. USM. That leaves me hope that there will be a free video stream of the Auburn game tonight. Might want to tune in and see. I'll have it on while watching the FLYERS in the Stanley CUP finals.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=181860

Clemson leads USM 10-1 top 8th, but just went into a weather delay. Apparently there is a report that there is lightening in the area.

ok... Update on the coverage. I know there is no tv for tonight's game, but cbssports.com is airing ALL REGIONAL GAMES LIVE for FREE. AUDIO ONLY apparently, but better than nothing....

another update: Just pulled the feed back up, and I have a LIVE VIDEO feed of Clemson vs. USM. That leaves me hope that there will be a free video stream of the Auburn game tonight. Might want to tune in and see. I'll have it on while watching the FLYERS in the Stanley CUP finals.

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=181860

It is supposed to be a live video feed. I just posted a thread about a few minutes ago so that it could be more visible.

Archived