Number of SEC Championships

DCWarEagle

This just occurred to me and I thought it was interesting, so I figured I would share:

Auburn's football program is going for its seventh SEC Championship, while Gene Chizik is going for his first as a head coach.

Steve Spurrier is going for his seventh SEC Championship as a head coach, while South Carolina's football program is going for its first.

Thinking that Spurrier as a coach has as many championships as Auburn in its history really reminds me how dominant Spurrier and the Gators were in the 1990's. It also reminds me that there was some "fuzzy math" in the old days, when SEC teams would sometimes play different numbers of games in a season.

Hopefully we can pick one up on the OBC this weekend.

Yeah the Turds did that for years by playing Ole Miss. How else could the Turds have won the SEC in 1972 when they lost to Auburn and still won the SEC when both had 1 loss.

Yeah the Turds did that for years by playing Ole Miss. How else could the Turds have won the SEC in 1972 when they lost to Auburn and still won the SEC when both had 1 loss.

Vanderbilt was also UAT's schedule.

Championships in the SEC have a huge asterisk. For example we've ended up w/ the same conference record as Bama in a season when we beat them but they were awarded the SEC championship INSTEAD OF AUBURN because of being ranked higher. I believe '72 is an example of that.

We currently have 11 undefeated seasons & if we win the next 2 games we'll have the same number of undefeated seasons as Bama yet they have a kazillion SEC championships. blah, blah, blah.

Championships in the SEC have a huge asterisk. For example we've ended up w/ the same conference record as Bama in a season when we beat them but they were awarded the SEC championship INSTEAD OF AUBURN because of being ranked higher. I believe '72 is an example of that.

We currently have 11 undefeated seasons & if we win the next 2 games we'll have the same number of undefeated seasons as Bama yet they have a kazillion SEC championships. blah, blah, blah.

Did somebody some take from them? I thought they claimed had more. :moon:

What a bunch of garbage in the old days...kinda like the current BCS procedures.

Since there are more teams in the SEC than we can play in a season it means the schedules can be a bit lopsided at times, but at least these days we have two divisions and everyone plays the same number of games then goes on to the Championship Game in Atlanta if they win their division.

The only time it turns into a "beauty contest" is if seventh tiebreaker comes into play for who represents a division.

So we now have a much better system for determining the SEC champion...hopefully at some point the MNC will be fair also.

Here's what happened in 1972: Each team played a 10 game schedule. Each SEC team played a 6 game SEC schedule. Ole bahr chose to play an extra one....Ole Miss. LSU beat Auburn in Baton Rouge for our only loss. Auburn beat bama for their only loss. LSU had 2 losses. Auburn finished 5-1 in the SEC while bama finished 6-1. Thus, the SEC says bama was the league champ because they had a better record. Ironically, the SEC changed the rule a year or two later that said each SEC team could count only the 6 games the SEC dictated. Guess what? Ole bahr went back to playing 6 SEC games....my, what a coincidence. Sucks doesn't it. I think we should claim a championship for that year!!

Archived