Anyone ever visited Naples w/o a tour group?

Duder

The wife and I leave for Rome in two weeks and want to take a day and head to Naples, Pompeii and perhaps Capri. Our travel agent said it is horribly unsafe because of crime in Naples. Anyone here been and if so, what were your thoughts?

My business partner and I run a small travel and tour company. We do NOT take groups into Naples. My partner and I have stayed there briefly and for a savy traveler it is safe enough, particularly during the day, but it is not for novice travels and groups. Also, it looks like a third world country. The Napolitans have a zest for life, but cleanliness is not among the charms of Naples.

Pompeii is interesting and I would recommend it, along with rest of the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Capri, etc). Much more relaxed and friendly than Rome.

The wife and I leave for Rome in two weeks and want to take a day and head to Naples, Pompeii and perhaps Capri. Our travel agent said it is horribly unsafe because of crime in Naples. Anyone here been and if so, what were your thoughts?

Naples is more of a launching point. I kind of want to see the Bay of Naples and then zip over to Capri or out to Pompeii. I'm unaware of another way to get to Pompeii

Naples is more of a launching point. I kind of want to see the Bay of Naples and then zip over to Capri or out to Pompeii. I'm unaware of another way to get to Pompeii

Yes. If you travel by train, you can take a regional train (i.e. nicer) train from Rome to Naples. Then, don't leave the train station, but go downstairs and take a local train (i.e. not nice train) from Naples to Pompeii-Sorrento-Capri. Also, on clear days you have an amazing view of the Bay of Naples from the train. Have a great trip.

Archived