Focus on Derrick Lykes

StatTiger

Perhaps the biggest concern for the 2011 Auburn Tigers will be replacing three defensive tackles, including All-American, Nick Fairley. Jeffrey Whitaker and Kenneth Carter are the likely starters but veteran, Derrick Lykes will need to step up to provide quality depth in the interior line. The loss of Nick Fairley, Mike Blanc and Zach Clayton, meant the loss of 119 games of experience and 256 career tackles. Lykes enters his junior season with 16 games of experience and only 12 career tackles.

The play…

derricklykesrundefense.jpg

On this particular play, the Auburn offense is set up in a 4-WR set with the intent to run the wrap-around draw play. Because the defense is spread out, they must defend the play with only 6 in the box. At the snap, Derrick Lykes draws a double-team from Reese Dismukes and Tunde Fariyike. Lykes recognizes the draw play in progress and spins away to his left from the double team to close off the running lane.

The spin move puts him in the path of the running back (Davis Hooper), where Lykes ends up head-to-head with the back. Lykes wraps up Hooper in the backfield for a loss on the play. At 6-2, 286, Lykes lacks the size to be a dominant defensive tackle so he must rely on quickness, leverage and technique to be effective. The concern this upcoming season is the lack of experience at defensive tackle. Derrick Lykes is still developing despite the fact he is a red shirt junior.

On this play, Lykes showed great recognition of the developing play and reaction to the double-team. The key for Derrick Lykes and his fellow interior linemen will be the ability to make plays on a consistent basis. In Auburn’s 2-gap scheme, the tackles primary responsibility is to maintain control of the offensive line, freeing up the linebackers to make plays. Look for a drop in production in terms of tackles for loss by the defensive tackles but if they can at least maintain their gaps, Auburn should be okay with exceptional play by the linebackers.

In Auburn’s 2-gap scheme, the tackles primary responsibility is to maintain control of the offensive line, freeing up the linebackers to make plays. Look for a drop in production in terms of tackles for loss by the defensive tackles but if they can at least maintain their gaps, Auburn should be okay with exceptional play by the linebackers.

While I agree with the first sentence, I think you will see the exact opposite of the second. I can already hear the commentators

"..and he's no Nick Fairley"

"...the loss of Fairley has crippled.."

"...what can be done without big #90"

I think this is going to light a fire under Lykes and he will step up big and play with enough heart and drive to make up the 20 +/- pound weight differential.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

While I agree with the first sentence, I think you will see the exact opposite of the second. I can already hear the commentators

"..and he's no Nick Fairley"

"...the loss of Fairley has crippled.."

"...what can be done without big #90"

I think this is going to light a fire under Lykes and he will step up big and play with enough heart and drive to make up the 20 +/- pound weight differential.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

Over the past 15 seasons, Auburn's DT's have averaged 22.4 tackles for loss per season. Last season, AU had 37.5 tackles for loss by their DT's, which was the second most over the past 15 years. Odds are, we will see a drop off in 2011.

Archived