Pat Dye Field to be renovated

RunInRed

Pat Dye Field to be renovated with new sod, lowered four inches

Written by Jeremy Henderson

Picture-551-480x360.png

The turf at Pay Dye Field is in the process of being replaced in order to remove nearly a decade’s worth of drainage-impeding (not that you could tell) organic matter that has accumulated since it was laid in 2003.

The result? Auburn will play it’s 2011 home games slightly farther from God.

“What happens is that through the years as the grass matures, the field will actually rise over time,” said Eric Kleypas, Auburn’s manager of Turf and Landscape Services. “We’re taking out about five inches to make sure the four inches of organic matter below is removed.”

Kleypas said the process will take about a week.

“It will take about four days to remove the old soil and then laser grade the field to get the contours we want and then the laying of the sod will take about 24 to 48 hours.”

Read more: http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/05/pat-dye-field-to-be-renovated-with-new-sod-lowered-four-inches/

I bet they could sell the dirt and make a killing.

Someone could make a lot of money with it that is for sure.

Here is a guy who has made a lot money with dirt.

I bet they could sell the dirt and make a killing.

I'd buy some! Both the soil and the grass!

Not just because it came from JHS but because it has been meticulously maintained and fertilized. Unlike my yard which has about 12 species of grasses growing on it!

And it would just be cool!

There was once talk of lowering the field in order to add seating at the bottom (like they did at Ohio State). They decided though that it would cause the lower rows of the upper decks to not have full view of the field. I liked the idea because I have always wished that the stands were closer tothe field (my only criticism of JHS).

JHS will always remain an icon in my eyes. From the first time I laid eyes on that field in 1988 (we whipped Kansas 56-7) that place has been magical. I'd buy a piece of the turf if it was offered up, no doubt.

JHS will always remain an icon in my eyes. From the first time I laid eyes on that field in 1988 (we whipped Kansas 56-7) that place has been magical. I'd buy a piece of the turf if it was offered up, no doubt.

Let me test your knowledge of Auburn trivia. Do you remember the controversy from that game that earned a mention in Sports Illustrated?

Wasn't that the game the officials wouldn't stop the clock...sort of an on-field "slaughter rule"?

I remember my dad was laughing that even the refs couldn't stop Auburn that day.

Wasn't that the game the officials wouldn't stop the clock...sort of an on-field "slaughter rule"?

I remember my dad was laughing that even the refs couldn't stop Auburn that day.

CORRECT...The game kicked off at 6:00 and was over before 8:30. I was bummed because we had seats in the club deck and I was in no hurry to leave.

Another thing I remember about that game was that in those days, Auburn used its wideouts to bring in plays and would always break the huddle with more than 11 players (before it was illegal). Glenn Mason threw a bit fit over it.

First, laser grading..

2hgbcqv.jpg

And now, new turf has arrived...

Turf sod rolls weighing 1,800 pounds each and covering 160 square feet are currently being unloaded outside Jordan-Hare Stadium and will begin being laid this afternoon. The sod was produced by Bent Oak Farms, located in Foley.

Eric Kleypas, Auburn’s manager of Turf and Landscape Services, said the installation will take approximately 24 hours.

b9bxpu.jpg

wmayvc.jpg

2dhv2q1.jpg

2hrcu12.jpg

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2011/05/new-turf-sod-to-be-installed-today-on-pat-dye-field/

I was at the Auburn High Graduation last night at the new Area and I walked by the stadium and saw them trucking the turf down to the field. I had no idea that it was this extensive.

Archived