Don't count out Gene Chizik or Auburn in the fall

RunInRed

Any one else love that we're under the radar? We seem to thrive in that role...

Don't count out Gene Chizik or Auburn in the fall

By Mike Herndon, Press-Register

9580902-large.jpg

Gene Chizik opened his talk with the Mobile and Baldwin Auburn clubs Thursday with a joke about leaving University of Phoenix Stadium with his wife after the BCS national championship game. As with most good jokes, it carried a hint of truth.

"We're sitting on the front seat of the bus and it was kind of one of those special moments -- husband and wife," Chizik told the audience. "Our bus was really kind of calm. I think (the players) were tired and worn out. ...

We're driving away. I kind of slid my arm around my wife and it was kind of quiet.

"She didn't say much, and then she looked at me and said, 'Really? A field goal? You could have won by two or three touchdowns.'"

It was a break-the-ice story about what may be the greatest moment in Auburn football history. But it's also a nod to a new reality on the Plains: the bar has been raised.

Winning the Iron Bowl, as important as that is, isn't enough for either side now. Winning the SEC West, as tough as that may be, is no cause for celebration.

Even an SEC title only leads to the now-expected step to follow. For the last five years, the SEC champion has won the BCS national crown.

Once you win a crystal football, you want more and expect more. Alabama was 10-3 in 2010 and it was widely seen as a disappointment. Just because it'd been 53 years since the Tigers' last crown doesn't mean they're any less hungry for the next.

In this state, anything less than a national title is now not good enough.

But only six Tigers who started the BCS national championship game will be back for the 2011 opener. The offensive and defensive fronts must be rebuilt. The Heisman Trophy and Lombardi Award winners are now first-round NFL draft picks.

AU has more holes to fill than a New Orleans road crew. Saying the goals haven't changed is one thing. Living up to them is often another.

As Chizik noted Thursday, this is where the Tigers need the payoff from two straight years of top-five recruiting classes.

Neither Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley nor Kiehl Frazier will be another Cam Newton. There may never be another one. Yet Chizik and Gus Malzahn won eight games with Chris Todd.

Auburn may not meet the newly raised bar this year -- Chizik deserves a statue on every street corner in Lee County if they do -- but don't be surprised if it gets more wins out of this group than most of us expect.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/dont_count_out_gene_chizik_or.html

" Really? A field goal? You could have won by two or three touchdowns.'"

:roflol:

I have one and only one request for next year.......BEAT BAMA! I don't care if it's the only game we win! I just want to shut those necktards up once and for all. I mean in the past it was "The barn only beats us when we're down". Then last year "The barn wouldn't of beat us or anyone else without Cam Newton".

What are you gonna say this year bammzies????? Auburn wouldn't beat us if we'd a played at night.

I think we will be a lot better than folks are giving us credit for right now. I think the D will be a lot more improved and a lot more consistent. As good as last years D was in the 2nd half of games, I expect that the D this year will be more consistent the entire game. More playmakers and quality depth at the LB and DB position. My biggest concern is the DL, but we have some very good players coming in, who just have to get comfortable in their roles and limit the "rookie" mistakes. I for one think the O is going to be fine, obviously, lacking a game changer at QB, but we don't really know what Trotter is capable of, or how CGM is going to tailor the offense for him. I like the comparison to 2009 with Todd, where we still won 8 games, despite Todd being injured most of the year. IMO, Trotter is a lot better than Todd and we have playmakers ALL over the field in the skill positions, most of whom have been in CGM's system for the past 2 or 3 years!! If the OL gels quickly and solidifies the offense will be a force to reckon with. I expect to see Dyer and OMac with 1,000 yards EACH.

The early pre season polls has us at like 20 or 22. Um wasn't that our pre season rank last year. Another example of you never know in college football

Archived