2013 4* LB Trey Johnson (Ohio State signee)

RunInRed

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His status changed on Scout cause they show him scheduled for an Official Visit to Buckeyes on weekend of 11/24-

They normally don't change it just for an OV..

Historically that has been the precise reason Scout has done that.

His status changed on Scout cause they show him scheduled for an Official Visit to Buckeyes on weekend of 11/24-

My experience in following it is that it takes more than just an OV to do it. Most of these kids today will take all 5 of their OVs and you just don't see the status change unless its coupled with other info. For instance if Reuben goes to Washington St. on an OV, they aren't going to change him to a soft verbal just for that. I will admit that I don't follow more than 3 teams on recruiting, so I cant speak to what happens with the other 123 teams.

My experience in following it is that it takes more than just an OV to do it. Most of these kids today will take all 5 of their OVs and you just don't see the status change unless its coupled with other info. For instance if Reuben goes to Washington St. on an OV, they aren't going to change him to a soft verbal just for that. I will admit that I don't follow more than 3 teams on recruiting, so I cant speak to what happens with the other 123 teams.

You never know. Scout has been known to put players as soft verbals just for taking OVs when those players were not even close to being soft at all.

Coach Chizik will be at Trey's game Friday night October 5th to see Trey and Central Gwinnett play powerhouse Grayson. You can also watch the game here

Coach Chizik will be at Trey's game Friday night October 5th to see Trey and Central Gwinnett play powerhouse Grayson. You can also watch the game here

Glad to hear this E. After Trey announced his upcoming trips, it is good to have CGC show him some love. I think Trey will wear O&B next year for sure. He will be a good one. Frankly, we need both he and RF, along with our other LB commits. We need to hope that our freshman LB's start to catch on pretty quickly too.

Grayson? That team could beat many small to mid-level college programs.

Glad to hear this E. After Trey announced his upcoming trips, it is good to have CGC show him some love. I think Trey will wear O&B next year for sure. He will be a good one. Frankly, we need both he and RF, along with our other LB commits. We need to hope that our freshman LB's start to catch on pretty quickly too.

Agreed. He was a big, early commitment for us- at a position of need, as you say- and I think some of the subsequent, more high profile commitments have obscured the significance of that. We haven't forgotten about you, Trey. WDE

Let's also hope that Cass and Frost are ready to go by the end of the year so they can hit the ground running in '13.

Grayson? That team could beat many small to mid-level college programs.

Grayson has been great, but they actually have already lost a game this year to Parkview. Parkview had been a long time power in GA. Trey's team Central Gwinnett plays Grayson every year I beleive. They are both Gwinnett County teams.

@Niebuhr247

I'm told #Auburn LB commit Trey Johnson is now up to 229 pounds

I hope that hasn't slowed him down any. I'm not a fan of huge linebackers. Give me a 215 pound guy that can move. The two Williams guys from 2004 come to mind. Right now, Justin Garrett at 215 is playing while bigger guys are riding the bench.

Size isn't the end all to a good LB, but it helps. They need to be big enough to take on 230 lb RB that are a staple in the SEC. They need good ball instincts, tackling ability, and a fearless nature. If they have the last 3, being a little undersized won't be a huge detriment.

@Niebuhr247

I'm told #Auburn LB commit Trey Johnson is now up to 229 pounds

I hope that hasn't slowed him down any. I'm not a fan of huge linebackers. Give me a 215 pound guy that can move. The two Williams guys from 2004 come to mind. Right now, Justin Garrett at 215 is playing while bigger guys are riding the bench.

Yes, but his playing is due to our complete lack of talent at the LB position. I like Tall, Stout and fast LB's with God given ball instincts. Before you tell me to "get real", please note that our in-state competition has them. SO SHOULD WE!!!

And teams are running over us. I'd rather have a guy big and fast. small linebackers are why we are in trouble now

Holland weighs in at a little over 240. Evans is at 235 and Bates is up over 220. That's not small. If we had three really great guys that weighed in at 205 we'd be in a lot better shape at that position.

And teams are running over us. I'd rather have a guy big and fast. small linebackers are why we are in trouble now

Holland weighs in at a little over 240. Evans is at 235 and Bates is up over 220. That's not small. If we had three really great guys that weighed in at 205 we'd be in a lot better shape at that position.

If we had three really great guys that weighed in at 250 we'd be in a lot better shape, too. There are players that have both the size and speed that our current staff (CBVG) covet. IMO, 205# isn't big enough for this defense. Running around blocks isn't always the answer.

If we had three really great guys that weighed in at 250 we'd be in a lot better shape, too. There are players that have both the size and speed that our current staff (CBVG) covet. IMO, 205# isn't big enough for this defense. Running around blocks isn't always the answer.

Or tackling 230 lbs backs from LSU.

I don't necessarily care how big they are as much as whether they are mean and fast and can tackle in open space. Size brings the wood to be sure but at this point I'll be happy with a group of sure tacklers and the same backing them up. Our lack of LB depth is leaving our starters worn out.

Having said that, I'm still shocked 17 has seen the field at LB yet (at least that I'm aware of). I do like that package they're using for 10 where he kinda picks what he's going to do. The LO package. He brings some size when he's in that LB area.

I hope Reuben and Trey and Toney and Jarrad are ready because I bet at least 3 of these 4 if not all 4 see playing time next season.

Being too big and slow to get to the ball isn't the answer either. Everybody wants a 250 pound LB that runs a 4.3 forty. All you have to do is find one. In the meantime a quick guy that's a sure tackler beats putting somebody back there just because he's big.Our coaches must feel somewhat the same way. Javie Mitchell, 2012 LB recruit weighed in at 197 in high school. This year's commit, the Davis kid, is generously listed at 210. It appears there's room to try both ways.

Archived