2013 4* LB Trey Johnson (Ohio State signee)

RunInRed

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And teams are running over us. I'd rather have a guy big and fast. small linebackers are why we are in trouble now

Holland weighs in at a little over 240. Evans is at 235 and Bates is up over 220. That's not small. If we had three really great guys that weighed in at 205 we'd be in a lot better shape at that position.

Yeah quote those weights that people tell you. Just watch the games and you can see how everybody's hb's is as big as our linebackers. You saying Bates not small? And as far as what the coaches are getting doesn't mean that's what they want because we went after some of those big linebackers at other schools as well. To me the fact that we are going after Foster, Johnson, Toney shows that we are wanting some taller, bigger, faster linebackers.

And teams are running over us. I'd rather have a guy big and fast. small linebackers are why we are in trouble now

Holland weighs in at a little over 240. Evans is at 235 and Bates is up over 220. That's not small. If we had three really great guys that weighed in at 205 we'd be in a lot better shape at that position.

Yeah quote those weights that people tell you.

Since those guys don't check in at my house and weigh on my bathroom scale, I sort of go by what's published. Are you saying they weighed less when they stopped by your place this morning?

Pretty good attempt you were almost funny but yeah I'm saying that clearly they are smaller which isn't uncommon in football and basketball. Funny you want a bunch of 210 pound linebackers though.

Didn't y'all have this convo before ? What BVG is saying is that given 2 players of equal talent, if one is 6'1"-220 and the other is 6'3"- 245, he wants the bigger guy. Its not an either/ or situation on bigger guys. You can get bigger guys with equal to more talent than smaller guys and not have to sacrifice one for the other.

Being too big and slow to get to the ball isn't the answer either. Everybody wants a 250 pound LB that runs a 4.3 forty. All you have to do is find one. In the meantime a quick guy that's a sure tackler beats putting somebody back there just because he's big.Our coaches must feel somewhat the same way. Javie Mitchell, 2012 LB recruit weighed in at 197 in high school. This year's commit, the Davis kid, is generously listed at 210. It appears there's room to try both ways.

Being too light and having the mentality that you need to skirt a block can get you run out of the play. No one is saying let's just put a bunch of "big guys" out there for the sake of being a bigger defense. The implication that all small guys are quick and all big guys are slow is baseless. Bates is Auburn's lightest starting LB, but he isn't any quicker than the other two. Fact is CBVG has openly stated that he prefers bigger 'backers.

Since those guys don't check in at my house and weigh on my bathroom scale, I sort of go by what's published. Are you saying they weighed less when they stopped by your place this morning?

I don't want to get in a petty argument but just to clear this up so this thread can move to a better topic, Jake Holland does not weigh 240 lbs. If you would like to know why I am sure of this, feel free to PM me

Valley, Daren is much much much quicker than Holland or Evans. Much. I take your point that smaller doesn't always mean quicker and faster (and I'd add that bigger doesn't always mean stronger or more physical), but in this instance, Bates is by far the fastest and quickest LB in our rotation.

Valley, Daren is much much much quicker than Holland or Evans. Much. I take your point that smaller doesn't always mean quicker and faster (and I'd add that bigger doesn't always mean stronger or more physical), but in this instance, Bates is by far the fastest and quickest LB in our rotation.

Our most athletic LB doesn't even play. Kris Frost what's wrong?

Our most athletic LB doesn't even play. Kris Frost what's wrong?

The only possible explanation I could think of is he is not getting BVG's system.

Didn't y'all have this convo before ? What BVG is saying is that given 2 players of equal talent, if one is 6'1"-220 and the other is 6'3"- 245, he wants the bigger guy. Its not an either/ or situation on bigger guys. You can get bigger guys with equal to more talent than smaller guys and not have to sacrifice one for the other.

Thank you again IM70. It makes too much sense though for a few of us.

Or it's possible Kris isn't as good at football as people think. I have no idea. I'm just saying, no one expected Todd Gurley to be the second coming of Darren McFadden. You can have surprises positive and negative.

Let's not sell Gurley's hype short. Todd Gurley at the end of the recruiting cycle had a national composite ranking of 74 according to 247. Gurley was pretty much a consensus top 75 recruit

And now he's the consensus best running back in his class and, until Latt proves he's 100%, the best RB in the SEC. He's far better than anyone expected. Heck, he was seen as a complement to Marshall. Now Keith is looking at three years of being Felix Jones. He's never going to start until Gurley gets injured or goes pro.

The Auburn Tigers have a verbal commit from 4-star inside linebacker Trey Johnson out of Lawrenceville, Georgia, but just how strong will his commitment be once he starts taking official visits?

That's the question Auburn fans and coaches have to be asking themselves right now.

According to Kipp Adams of ESPN.com, Johnson will be taking official visits to Ohio State, USC and Florida State. He quotes Johnson's high school football coach, Todd Wofford, on the reasoning behind the visits:

"He loves
Gene Chizik
and he loves Brian VanGorder, but he just wants to cover his bases and he always said he was going to take visits, so he wants to check out schools that have big-time linebacker traditions," Wofford said. "He likes the kids that Auburn has committed right now, but at the same time other schools are kind of using Auburn’s season as a factor with him."

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million times more—nothing is official until National Signing Day. There is plenty of time for recruits to be swayed from their commitments.

Should Auburn be worried that the talented linebacker wants to check out other schools with "big-time linebacker traditions"?

hi-res-152590811_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=240&q=85 Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Frankly, they'd be naive not to be worried.

At the moment, Auburn has a whole lot going against them.

They are a far cry from the team led by Cam Newton that won the National Championship, and their 1-3 record (0-2 SEC) really hurts them from a recruiting standpoint. It's evident that other schools are using their woeful record against them, and it's bound to eventually lead to some trepidation.

hi-res-151712428_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=243&q=85 Butch Dill/Getty Images

Meanwhile, Ohio State, USC and Florida State—the three schools Johnson will be visiting—all have legitimate shots at making a national splash. OSU is hindered by a bowl ban, but they will be back on top of the Big Ten soon enough. That's something Auburn can't say about the SEC at the moment, and it's going to hurt them in the recruiting process.

Sure, Gene Chizik has a very solid 2013 class to lean on, which features three 5-star recruits. However, as much as recruiting is about hope for the future, it also can be impacted by the present.

Will Johnson stay commited to Auburn?

Yes No Submit Vote vote to see results

Will Johnson stay commited to Auburn?

• Yes
    46.3%

• No
    53.7%
    Total votes: 475

If Chizik can't sell Johnson on the fact that Auburn's future will be just as bright, if not brighter than the present at Ohio State, Florida State or even one-loss USC, then he'll risk losing some of his elite recruits.

He's going to have to operate under the assumption that those schools will be telling Johnson the opposite, and their current records may just speak a bit louder.

It seems as if Trey Johnson is at least open to seeing what other programs have to offer him, and right now that should be very concerning news for the Auburn Tigers.

Tray will not be an EE after all and will take all of his OVs. He will visit Ohio St. for the Michigan game and the rest of FSU, Penn St., and Auburn all in January. The good news is Auburn will get his last OV and he remains committed to Auburn.

Every one of these defensive recruits better thank their lucky stars they have been invited to be a part of this defensive class. I think for the most part they all are, Trey included. This defensive class is going to do damage.

These kids and YOU are smarter than all that A4E! They have heard it all. We have yet to see the best of a BVG defense. By the end of this season it will speak for itself, record aside, it will be something these kids want to be a part of. Trey will sign with us IMO. :jossun: There, that is my daily sunshine but I believe it to be solid.

Jonesy posted this a few hours ago on TD

I don't get he impression from Trey that he's going to flip. He was talking about OVs when he first committed.

Even though Trey is going to make other visits, I sure hope he sticks to his Auburn commitment.

I'm pretty sure he will stick with AU. You have to think like a recruit not a fan when thinking about why they take these visits if they are committed to a school already. I have the privilege of being around some big time recruits and they all do it because each OV is like a mini free vacation. How wouldn't want to hop on a plane, get pampered at an elite college, free food and gear and sent back home? Trey Johnson is the same, only downside is by taking these trips they can leave a lasting impression that may make the committed reconsider.

@ChadSimmons_

#Auburn commit Trey Johnson has set up his official visit to #USCfor the weekend of January 18.

January 18 is a weird date...Why wouldn't he schedule one for when they have a game?

His HS coach wants him to focus on his senior season.

@ChadSimmons_

#Auburn commit Trey Johnson has set up his official visit to #USCfor the weekend of January 18.

January 18 is a weird date...Why wouldn't he schedule one for when they have a game?

His HS coach wants him to focus on his senior season.

That and he has said he will take 4 OVs after the season.

Archived