2013 4* LB Trey Johnson (Ohio State signee)

RunInRed

I would love to get him, but I am telling you everyone is underestimating/overlooking Cameron Toney. The dude has been solid to AU the whole way through, and he DOES have the size and talent to be a starter. Also, don't forget Cassanova. That dude looked good against Vandy as a true freshman, he will only be better this season. Provided we get a coach who can coach lol.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, don't forget Cassanova. That dude looked good against Vandy as a true freshman, he will only be better this season.

That guy is really good. If he can wrap his head around the playbook then I think he will be a monster.

I'm not particularly worried about which guy we get, but we landing Trey or Reuben is pretty essential for depth next year. No matter what, we're short LBs. Cass McKinzy, Jake Holland, and Justin Garrett are the only guys with any collegiate experience on the roster. That's it. So no matter what, we're playing dudes that have never played before. You'd assume Kris Frost, Anthony Swain, and Javiere Mitchell have a leg up on cracking the rotation, but we will almost definitely need a true freshman (or two) to play this year.

My personal guess is that Garrett, Mitchell, Therezie, and Smith all get reps at the swing LB/S spot (based on size, speed, and willingness to hit), which could further diminish the already razor thin LB depth

Reuben and/or Trey, Cameron Toney, and Jarrad Davis will all get more than a fair shake at playing right away. I remain hopeful that Auburn University (which is a sell point), the new coaches, and potential for immediate impact will get at least one of these two guys back in the fold.

In Treys case, think of it from his standpoint........liked Roof, who we fired, and we worried he would decommit. Now we have fired EVERYONE he had relations with and outside the AU name, nothing is the same other than the coaches and relations at other schools recruiting him. Our new staff just needs a little time.

In Treys case, think of it from his standpoint........liked Roof, who we fired, and we worried he would decommit. Now we have fired EVERYONE he had relations with and outside the AU name, nothing is the same other than the coaches and relations at other schools recruiting him. Our new staff just needs a little time.

Maybe I am just a sunshine pumper, but I feel that this is true on many fronts with this class. I think some of the decommits are more over not knowing the staff well yet rather than really giving up on AU. I think there is a chance to get some if not most of them back (or to at least fill the gaps on the ones we do lose).

Maybe I am just a sunshine pumper, but I feel that this is true on many fronts with this class. I think some of the decommits are more over not knowing the staff well yet rather than really giving up on AU. I think there is a chance to get some if not most of them back (or to at least fill the gaps on the ones we do lose).

Outside of TN - no other school that is a legit threat to steal our recruits had the turnover we had. If I had grown up without diehard love for AU, I would be timid about staying committed to a school who just fired everyone I knew.

• 2 weeks later...

Coach Gardner will bring back a lot of kids who left. Do not be surprised to see CRG go after some of saban's commitments. He is going to give bammer fits in the not too distant future! I feel certain that he will bring things to grinding halt as far a bammer going after and stealing away our recruits! Boyz, we are in for some fun days ahead with this staff's recruiting skills!

Coach Gardner will bring back a lot of kids who left. Do not be surprised to see CRG go after some of saban's commitments. He is going to give bammer fits in the not too distant future! I feel certain that he will bring things to grinding halt as far a bammer going after and stealing away our recruits! Boyz, we are in for some fun days ahead with this staff's recruiting skills!

Hate to be the hearer of sobering reality on Bama stealing our recruits with Garner here. I am not saying it will be rampant but it has happened even this year at UGA. Bama stole Derrick Henry after being committed to UGA for a while. With that said Garner will put up a heck of a fight and recruit very well as he did at UGA.

Outside of TN - no other school that is a legit threat to steal our recruits had the turnover we had. If I had grown up without diehard love for AU, I would be timid about staying committed to a school who just fired everyone I knew.

You pretty much have it pegged.

As for schools "stealing" recruits...ya have to be realistic, Bama is the hot commodity now with two recent NCs and playing for another. It's hard for any other SEC school to hold onto a kid that Bama targets....that's just the fact of the matter.

AU, UGa, UF, and the rest are just going to have to learn to beat Bama with they players they can recruit and not worry about who Bama "steals". In reality, there is not that much difference betweem most of the 4* and 5* players except the hype the top guys get. The other teams have the talent as TAMU showed, and as some others showed, by pushing Bama to the limit this season. We should be there too.

Hate to be the hearer of sobering reality on Bama stealing our recruits with Garner here. I am not saying it will be rampant but it has happened even this year at UGA. Bama stole Derrick Henry after being committed to UGA for a while. With that said Garner will put up a heck of a fight and recruit very well as he did at UGA.

If the allegiance of the referenced "steals" were solely based upon the relationship with Garner, then the logic path my have some merits. However, I would suspect that other elements apart from Garner were in play with each of these recruits. Little doubt by anyone that Garner is a big league recruiter. That, coupled with the opportunity for early playing time on team at a historically strong program makes Auburn a very compelling destination for any recruit.

Blake Alderman@MistaAlderman

Trey Johnson says he spoke with #auburn today. Could possibly not announce at #UAGame this Friday. #vols #Buckeyes #Gators

Can't be bad for us that he wouldn't announce, but I'm not holding my breath. I think TJ will be an awesome player and hopes he keeps to his original commitment.

Blake Alderman@MistaAlderman

Trey Johnson says he spoke with #auburn today. Could possibly not announce at #UAGame this Friday. #vols #Buckeyes #Gators

This makes it sound like we might have a 0.1% chance now instead of no chance. Who knows, maybe we can get him back on board?

I work with his mom and she told me this morning that he will announce at UA game and the finalists are Florida, Tennessee and Ohio State. Gotta think he will follow Thigpen to TN.

Archived