2013 3* LB Jarrad Davis (Florida signee)

RunInRed

Jarrad Davis was a CVBG and CWM target early. He is a talented kid, just look at is stats this year. But both his lead recruiiters are gone; no surprise.

Glad to see you posting again Pops! Jarrad Davis is indeed a talented player and also a team leader and excellent student. The kind that makes a great Auburn man. I hate to see us lose him to the gators.

PS: Were Davis "just some 3*" as stated somewhere above we wouldn't have Muschamp jumping all on his case. There are dozens of 3* linebackers in Florida that would love to sign with the gators. Davis has special qualities and abilities that attracted UF.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to see us lose our 3rd LB commit... I thought he would be a nice fit at that Talon position in Ellis Johnson's defense. Not going to lie, I am little disappointed with the amount of kids we are losing. Before I get jumped for being a "chicken little" I am not saying all hope is lost. I think we might get Foster back, but I am saying it does stink to lose some of these young talented kids. It is obvious that Davis is not a 3 star talent and I bet we will see his name popup down the road at Florida. Wish him the best of luck though

Hate to see us lose our 3rd LB commit... I thought he would be a nice fit at that Talon position in Ellis Johnson's defense.

If you mean the safety/LB hybrid position, he was never, ever destined to play that position. Does not fill the bodytype of that position

Hate to see us lose our 3rd LB commit... I thought he would be a nice fit at that Talon position in Ellis Johnson's defense.

If you mean the safety/LB hybrid position, he was never, ever destined to play that position. Does not fill the bodytype of that position

According to Rivals Davis is 6' 3", 215 with 4.6 speed. Sounds perfect for the safety/LB hybrid. Do you want him taller, shorter, heavier, lighter, slower or faster?

Someone should've told Devonte Holloman he couldn't play the Spur position at USCe this year at 6-2 and 241 lbs.

Listed at 4.6 speed means he isn't close. Just like I know a bunch of buddies who claim they were safeties running 4.4s.

Someone should've told Devonte Holloman he couldn't play the Spur position at USCe this year at 6-2 and 241 lbs.

Before you think you are all clever with this comeback, Devonte Holloman started at the spur position under Lorenzo Ward as DC. While Ellis Johnson was defensive coordinator at USCe, Antonio Allen who has not gotten above 210 played the SPUR position.

The spur position is a hybrid safety for a reason. They are required to have extensive pass coverage skills that is top notch. That is why almost everyone, including Devonte Holloman are former safeties (Holloman is a 2 year strong safety starter at USCe). Unless they were very undersized LBs in HS, you are more than likely going to see hard hitting safeties in that position or guys like Justin Garrett who played safety in high school.

Somebody said it before but people wanted to blow everything up ( and it was likely necessary) but you can't break things without collateral damage. You can't have it both ways. It seems coach Johnson is hard at trying to salvage what he can. Be of good cheer.

The bad thing is that the ONE and ONLY thing about our program that WAS WORKING was RECRUITING. I hope we have not blown that up as well.

How well we recruit and and how soon we do it will determine how long it takes us to get back. If this class tanks and or we miss judge a few key signees, we will shift from a 4 year plan to a 5 year plan. All you guys who wanted massive change now better be prepared to be patient.

I know recruiting is not an end in and of itself. However, unless your recruit with GA, FLA, LSU, and UAT, you will not be able to compete with them. This idea that we can hire genius coaches and take less talent and win is crap.

While I do agree with you on this, I for 1 will allow Gus and staff to make the best decisions they see that fit what they are looking. for. I am not saying any decommittred recruits would not be good for AU, and coaching staff, but they are the coaches and will get paid and graded on all their decisions.

Also agree with many posters that the negative news has been going on since beginning of September, and would love to begin to see some positive news!

WDE, and go Falcons at 1:00!

I agree with you, I trust CGM and whatever he thinks is right for AU, I support. I was just saying that he must find a way to get the kind of players that the other top tier SEC schools are getting or we will not be able to compete with them and Gus will not last.

I don't care if it is the same players recruited by the other staff or different ones, but he must recruit close to LSU and UAT if we are going to compete with them year in and year out.

For those that want to believe that the rating system is not valid and the three star players are overall just as good as the ones rated 5 stars, more power to you. If you want to think our coaches are so great that they can consistently coach 3 star players up to the level of the kind of classes LSU and UAT are getiing, more power to you on that one as well.

It is not that 3 stars are or supposed to be just as good as 5 stars, statistically that is incorrect. The point being made is that finding the right fit and finding guys that for whatever reason flew under the radar is more important than stars by their name. For instance, going after a guy who is perfect for our system but ranked 250 is better than going after a guy who plays the same position but not perfect for our system ranked 25

It has more to do with the faith people put in recruiting services. People just don't realize that stars does not equal success and even with a good staff stars can be busts. They also do not realize that lower rated guys can easily be top tier talents and just aren't recognized.

Quote: " They also do not realize that lower rated guys can easily be top tier talents and just aren't recognized." I agree wholeheartedly. That's why us losing the subject of this thread, Jarrad Davis, to Florida is so sad. Obviously an under the radar guy who we, and now Florida, recognize as a top-tier talent.

This just furthers solidifies my belief, and fear, that while recruiting was extremely fun under the last staff, they weren't building a solid foundation. They were selling these kids on relationships, and not the school or the opportunity.

This just furthers solidifies my belief, and fear, that while recruiting was extremely fun under the last staff, they weren't building a solid foundation. They were selling these kids on relationships, and not the school or the opportunity.

The reality is most staffs do that.

This is the recruiting forum -- we're not interested in reality ;)

Well that stuff sells the best to an 18 year old kid. You sell them on the things that will get them to come

Well that stuff sells the best to an 18 year old kid. You sell them on the things that will get them to come

Yes, that is what you have to do

Listed at 4.6 speed means he isn't close. Just like I know a bunch of buddies who claim they were safeties running 4.4s.

Before you think you are all clever with this comeback, Devonte Holloman started at the spur position under Lorenzo Ward as DC. While Ellis Johnson was defensive coordinator at USCe, Antonio Allen who has not gotten above 210 played the SPUR position.

The spur position is a hybrid safety for a reason. They are required to have extensive pass coverage skills that is top notch. That is why almost everyone, including Devonte Holloman are former safeties (Holloman is a 2 year strong safety starter at USCe). Unless they were very undersized LBs in HS, you are more than likely going to see hard hitting safeties in that position or guys like Justin Garrett who played safety in high school.

Before being a smart alec, maybe you should proofread your posts. What is a hybrid safety? Hmm, ever think my point was that the Spur position could be played by a multitude of body types or a single player? Sure Allen played Spur, but he split time with the bulkier Damario Jeffery. Difference being that Holloman had both attributes, a true hybrid.

People get too caught up in this player is too heavy, too light, too slow, or too short. Rob Pate wasn't a physical specimen and he was pretty damn serviceable.

Not to pile on but I don't think it would've been out of the realm of possibility for him to fit in there. If I recall Johnson has used a wide range of guys at that position. But whether he would've played there or not I think we lost a very good football player to another SEC team

The point I have been making is that it takes a certain type of player to play that spur position due to the extensive coverage needs. If you can show me a player that has the ability to move his hips in coverage like a corner who weighs 250 pounds, I'll take him. Also, former defensive backs have the background in pass coverage to help them in those duties. Moving players from pure LB to essentially a safety position is a difficult transition to learn

I am not knocking the kid, I liked Jarrad Davis and thought he would make a good/great RS So/JR LB with real potential. Just from watching his game film and reading evaluations on the guy, he does not have the quickness that Ellis Johnson seems to look for in the spur position

The point I have been making is that it takes a certain type of player to play that spur position due to the extensive coverage needs. If you can show me a player that has the ability to move his hips in coverage like a corner who weighs 250 pounds -you're over exaggerating, I'll take him. Also, former defensive backs have the background in pass coverage to help them in those duties. Moving players from pure LB to essentially a safety position is a difficult transition to learn

I am not knocking the kid, I liked Jarrad Davis and thought he would make a good/great RS So/JR LB with real potential. Just from watching his game film and reading evaluations on the guy, he does not have the quickness that Ellis Johnson seems to look for in the spur position -you're still not listening, CEJ has a history of using more than two players, with different skill sets, to man the Spur position based on down and distance and the opposing offense. His defense is still very similar to a 4-3.

Archived