2013 3* LB Jarrad Davis (Florida signee)

RunInRed

This is a pretty ignorant statement. How many times have you ever heard of a kid having his scholarship pulled mid college career? Doesn't matter how big of a bust the player is, there is no difference between one year and four year scholarships. It would killl in the PR and recruiting departments if you pulled kids scholarships.

I hear about it every July and August in Tuscaloosa when Saban has to cut 8 - 12 guys to get his roster down to 85.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. The only difference between 1 and 4 year scholarships is in name/PR

Exactly. There are more escape clauses in that four-year deal than holes in Swiss cheese. We can process 'em just as easily with a 4 as 1 year scholly. I don't think coaches even think about it when recruiting, unless they can use it as a selling point.

This is a pretty ignorant statement. How many times have you ever heard of a kid having his scholarship pulled mid college career? Doesn't matter how big of a bust the player is, there is no difference between one year and four year scholarships. It would killl in the PR and recruiting departments if you pulled kids scholarships.

I hear about it every July and August in Tuscaloosa when Saban has to cut 8 - 12 guys to get his roster down to 85.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You believe the exaggerations of people on this board. First, Saban doesn't cut 8-12 guys, it is a lot less. Next when he does it, he doesn't just "pull" scholarships. He puts kids on medical hardship, encourages them to transfer or encourages to go to the draft. The exact same things WE ARE ABLE TO DO WITH 4 YEAR SCHOLARSHIPS to get people off the roster.

I would hate to lose him as well. I guess that is the downside to 4 year schollies. When the coaching staff is on the fence, they may be more willing to take a chance on a 1 year scholly and see how it works out with a particular kid. With a 4 year scholly, if the coaches make a mistake it's a bigger mistake, so they are more careful.

Even if players got guaranteed 4 year scholarships and the coaching staff didn't want them around they would still process them, pressure to transfer elsewhere, medical hardship waivers, graduate early (if they were redshirted). The only difference between 1 and 4 year scholarships is in name/PR

What seems to be your major malfunction ? Do you see the word "may" ? I offered my opinion on a possible reason why they might have backed off a particular recruit. Grow up and keep your name calling to yourself.

There ya go and it happens every year up there.

Not a single guy I have ever talked to who has been recruited has had a coach say "You will have a one year scholarship conditional on your performance and/or development and if it doesn't work out you lose it" which is the implication of what you are saying. Coaches do not offer scholarships like that/take a chance on a project expecting him to be gone in a year or two if it doesn't work out. The "guaranteed" scholarships was for PR after the processing news stories came out, not to actually change something that was in place.

If a player doesn't work out development/performance wise, most schools, just like Auburn (DaDa Phillips for example and RIP), will encourage them to transfer, take medical hardship or give up football if it comes near a number crunch. This is something that they are still able to do even if they offered a four year scholarship.

Also, the "processing" that Bama does is like I have stated (as in exactly as we do it but more efficient). They do not straight process and kick kids out of their program yanking their scholarship from their pockets as the door hits them in the ass on the way out like some of you think. Stop trying to make it seem that way because it makes our fanbase look like ignorant crying sisters in the state and quite frankly it is embarrassing.

There is no disputing the fact that Saban has "processed" or medically hardshipped more players than any other D1 school by a large number. I personally know one who was processed out of football before his redshirt junior year. He was able to finish his degree under an medical hardship scholarship. That is exactly the reason that the SEC has taken the step to require conference approval before a medical hardship scholly can be offered by a school. Saban and uat are the reason for the rule.

I have yet to argue that Saban "processes" players at a higher rate with medical hardships and methods such as that. I completely agree. I am only pointing out that his methods of doing so are things that we are able to do with "4 year scholarships." Nothing would stop him from doing those things if he offered "4 year scholarships" is the point that I am making

Well, that irks me, but it seems he was/is lower on the list cause I personally have not heard of any of the coaches visiting him like they have Foster/Johnson (who are not even committed anymore), and I have heard about Gus calling Toney, as well as our d-line recruits.

Our once certain to be #1 linebacker class has bit the dust. Unless we can get these guys back we're in a world of hurt. LB depth was horrible last year and we needed Davis, Johnson, Foster and Toney to even begin to get back to SEC level with linebackers.

So far I'm very disappointed with our recruiting results. When Chizik was hired, every guy we really wanted from Tuberville's recruits was retained. Now they are falling like flies.

PS: Don't start with the "Davis not wanted" stuff. Did Florida offer him a scholarship because he'd a dud?

IDK I don't think its time to jump off of the clif. We have basically taken one LB position out and put in SOME LB players who were too light to get much if any PT and SOME heavier Safeties who may or may have not had as much PT. Which means we are in much better shape that we think. I mean we have Nova, Frost, Toney (cause we know he is committed), Jake Holland, and Justin Garrett, we also have a shot at Foster whether most believe it or not, as well as the OLB from Pinson Clay, as well as any other recruits we have time to find. That is possibly 7 or more LBs to fill in 2 and one half positions. I feel fairly good, especially since we have walk-ons in case something crazy happens like 5 of them are all hurt at once.

Our once certain to be #1 linebacker class has bit the dust. Unless we can get these guys back we're in a world of hurt. LB depth was horrible last year and we needed Davis, Johnson, Foster and Toney to even begin to get back to SEC level with linebackers.

So far I'm very disappointed with our recruiting results. When Chizik was hired, every guy we really wanted from Tuberville's recruits was retained. Now they are falling like flies.

PS: Don't start with the "Davis not wanted" stuff. Did Florida offer him a scholarship because he'd a dud?

It's not February yet. Let's wait and see what happens.

Watching this recruiting class is like watching the movie Groundhog Day. :dead:

Yep. Like watching an ice cream cone melt away on a hot July afternoon. Gone before you got the good out of it. I'm very surprised, I thought once coaches were in place guys would be coming back in the fold. Instead, more are leaving. Bummer.

Normally I'd agree, but old Mr. Momentum seems to be steamrolling us. Great students and team leaders like Lemond Johnson and Jarrad Davis, guys that seemed to really like Auburn, jumping ship can't be called a good thing.

Normally I'd agree, but old Mr. Momentum seems to be steamrolling us. Great students and team leaders like Lemond Johnson and Jarrad Davis, guys that seemed to really like Auburn, jumping ship can't be called a good thing.

Guys that really liked Auburn, AND the old Football Staff. Give the new staff a chance, they are not in place yet. ALSO, I'd say that our best bet ATM is to get guys who love AUBURN for AUBURN because all the stars we have on the team did not do so great. So, lets focus on getting the right staff in place so that we can develope the talent that is already on our sidlines, THEN worry about filling in the weak spots.

Quote: " So, lets focus on getting the right staff in place so that we can develope the talent that is already on our sidlines, THEN worry about filling in the weak spots."

Problem with that is there is not very much LB talent on our sidelines. Linebacker is already a weak spot. We needed a top LB class to have some talent. Now we're seeing that talented class, which was committed to come here, drizzle away.

I just am waiting for someone to comment on if Davis fit the type of LB that EJ is looking for. Especially with the 4-2-5, we need specific players for the LB role and some may just not fit what we need.

If we pulling Cameron Toney, Reuben Foster and Zach Cunningham, I feel like they will be able to easily fill the two traditional LB roles and finding an oversized safety from my understanding is what we need for the S/LB hybrid

Well, that irks me, but it seems he was/is lower on the list cause I personally have not heard of any of the coaches visiting him like they have Foster/Johnson (who are not even committed anymore), and I have heard about Gus calling Toney, as well as our d-line recruits.

Plus we have offered 3 new LBs the past week.

It's not that we lack LB talent on the roster. The guys we have may well be fantastic players, but we definitely and quantifiably lack the numbers necessary at LB. Even if every guy on the roster turned into a stud, we'd still be razor thin and thus weak at the position.

Scholarship players on the roster: Jake Holland, Cassanova McKinzy, Justin Garrett (the only guys with playing time under their belts), Kris Frost, Javiere Mitchell, and Anthony Swain. That's the whole list. We're talking about being multiple and playing odd man fronts?? That requires a minimum of 3 LBs and a swing LB/S on the field. We just don't have bodies. THAT is why we can't afford to lose Davis, Johnson, and Foster. Those guys were/are highly sought because of their quality, but Auburn is in dire need of both quality and quantity.

yep count me in the disappointed crowd. It is said repeatedly that recruiting is about relationships. We have a basically January - 4 weeks - to build those relationships. I am not optimistic.

I completely agree with you Mikey, this is getting disheartening. We should be trying to hold onto these guys not completely overhaul a recruiting class with basically a month to go. Whether these guys are the best fit possible (as far as body type or scheme) shouldn't be THE determining factor, at this point.

Archived