Story that was emailed to me about Michael Dyer

AUSportTalk

Michael Dyer moved over to Little Rock Christian Academy from the North Little Rock school district in the 4th grade. Michael comes from a messy parental situation (drugs, jail, etc.) and at that time, the only family that cared and stepped up was his uncle, a NLR policeman. He had been expelled from NLR public schools for various reasons and had run out of options for schooling. By chance (or by divine intervention), while playing in a summer basketball league, he landed on a team with a kid who attends our school. Michael's uncle confided in the kid's dad (RC) about the problems he had with Michael and the schooling dilemma. RC offered to sponser Michael into LRCA and he moved over. His poor attitude and bad behavior over those first few years lead to his name coming up more than once for expulsion... but, for grace, he was allowed to remain. He became a believer and leader, his attitude changed, and culminated at the conclusion of his sophomore year (National Football Sophomore of the Year) when he took the podium at War Memorial Stadium in LR and spoke at the statewide FCA rally. No one would have ever believed this kid would have turned out this way... not athletically or spiritually. These days, Michael has plenty of family and friends.

And here in Arkansas, when public schools complain about how the private schools recruit their players, Michael Dyer's name often comes up and how LRCA must have shelled out to get him... they fail to mention that they had him and threw him away.

I looked at his picture on this site... what a difference from a few years ago. That scowl has been replaced by a smile... and a soul that is at peace. I'm not saying that he'll never mess up. Life is not about 'not messing up'... but rather what you do about your mess-ups.

Even if we dont get him you have to respect a kid that can make those kinds of life changes! He would make a great addition to any football team. If he never touches the ball at Auburn I would still love to have that kind of kid in our program. Remember that these players that we are all drooling over will be the same guys that our kids look up to. I for one would be proud to see my son in a Dyer jersey!

Archived