What about Tubby Smith?

TigerProwl24

For one, he has an NCAA Championship on his resume. He has extensive SEC coaching experience at UGA and UK. He also has alot of recruiting connections and contacts around the southeast because he has recruited the area for a long time. He would not only bring in good talent but good kids that would be role models to our youth. His players paly and study hard and would graduate. He expects the most of his players, on and off the court. The kids he would bring in would represent Auburn University very well. He has done pretty well at Minnesota. I don't know anything about his contract or if he would leave Minnesota but you would think at least the weather would be better and i imagine there is more talent down here to recruit from. Maybe he would want to return to the SEC to coach and retire down here, i don't know.

Why would anyone want a head coach who has failed at Kentucky? Do people realize how easy it is to win there? He inherited a great program and won at the beginning and then went down hill. He is essentially the Les Miles of College Basketball. And what has he done at Minnesota? Minnesota is essentially the Auburn of Big 10 basketball, if not "better." He can't even make that a big program either. Definitely not what Auburn needs to take a chance on. Not that I expect to get a big time hire, but guys like him and Mike Davis are the furthest from what I would want. Anyone who gets fired from a big time program won't do much at a smaller program. When you inherit talent and lose, do you think that person will be able to recruit at a lesser school and suddenly become a better X's and O's coach?

For one, i'm not saying that is who i want as our next head coach, i was just throwing his name out there as a possible candidate. He is a Hall of Fame coach and we opening a new arena. Secondly, it is kinda hard not to look at his resume and not be impressed. 

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubby_Smith">

I guess i disagree with you on some things. Before Calipari, alot of people were wishing they had kept Tubby. Tubby Smith didn't come close to "failing" at UK. The basketball fans at UK are extremely hard to please, just ask Billy Gillespie who was fired after two seasons, especially being Tubby who was having to follow a coach like Rick Pitino. You have to make final fours every year just to keep your job. Winning the SEC every year doesn't cut it, like Tubby Smith did. Comparing Les Miles to Tubby Smith is laughable. Tubby Smith is a hall of fame basketball coach and Les Miles... is Les Miles. LSU football and UK basketball are worlds apart. Tubby has won at least 20 games each year he has been at Minnesota. If Lebo would have done that, he would still be our coach. Minnesota was in the NCAA tourney as recently as last year. Cliff Ellis was the coach the last time Auburn went to the NCAA tourney. Just look at Tubby's bio on wikipedia to see his success. All i know is, Minnesota is playing for a shot at the Big Ten Championship today and we are at home.

We could do a lot worse than Tubby Smith imo, although I wouldn't consider him a HOF coach by any stretch. Just because you win 1 championship doesn't put you in the Hall. That being said, I wouldn't mind Tubby, always liked him.

Sweet 16 - 5 times

Elite 8 - 3 times

NCAA Champions - Once

been in the tournament 15 of the last 16 Years.

What has Auburn done the last 16 years?  yea, we could do alot worse.  I for one would be happy to have him.  Come on guys, lets get realistic with our expectations, we are not going to get the next Calipari to come to Auburn.  I think Tubby would bring excitement about the program, at least every one knows him and what he is capable of.  You can't say he doesn't know BBall.  I don't watch basketball, but I would have to tune in if we got a proven coach like him.

I didn't think when i brought up his name earlier, that Minnesota would put a beatdown on Purdue like they have, but they sure are. It just shows you what kind of coach Tubby Smith is. While he is coaching Minnesota into the NCAAs again, we are looking for a coach. I am not calling Tubby Smith a Hall of Fame coach because of his one NC but because of his full body of work, just read his bio. I'm being realistic in the fact that we aren't going to bring a Pitino or Calipari to Auburn because we aren't exactly the mecca of college basketball, but neither is Minnesota. When i brought him up, i didn't think anyone would say it would be a bad hire but could we get him or not, that is the question. I agree, he would bring instant excitement and credibility to the program. He is only one of five coaches to lead four different schools into the NCAA tourney. He has won twenty games a year, 16 out of 18 years. Could we steal him away and offer him a chance to come back down south where he has always been and retire here? I believe that Jay Jacobs is gonna have a certain criteria when he hires a new coach and it is gonna be similiar to the criteria he had in our football search. Someone with SEC ties who knows the landscape and can recruit down here. I think he would be a great hire. I am making my wish list as we speak.

I take back what I said, and this is not because of the Purdue score. Purdue is without one of the best players in the country and scored only 11 points in the first half.

I will admit, I didn't look at his resume, I just recall many 10+ loss seasons. But it wasn't as bad as I thought.

What has Barbee done?  Lebo had a better resume than Barbee when he was hired.  Maybe the excitement for Barbee is that he is a good "basketball guy", but the same was said of Lebo.  I would like to see a proven winner hired. 

I understand 23. I don't believe UK treated Tubby exactly right but i bet no one is complaining now, UK looks ready to make a serious run at the title. I will be in Vegas again this year for the NCAAs and i would say, UK in the final four is about as much as a lock as there is. Purdue looks like a totally different team without Hummel but with any Tubby Smith coached team, Minnesota had a suffocating defense today. That is his claim to fame. Looks like they might play their way into the tourney again this year. I just wished we would get our stuff together.

What has Barbee done?  Lebo had a better resume than Barbee when he was hired.  Maybe the excitement for Barbee is that he is a good "basketball guy", but the same was said of Lebo.  I would like to see a proven winner hired. 

hes the next john calipari. he can recruit very well. his team also won the C-USA regular season title this year. In his 4th year with the program and will be a top 6 seed  in the NCAA tourney

I have heard that Depaul is looking for a new coach and they intend on going after him. Do you think he would rather be the man at Depaul or for us, 92? I'm not sure about him but i would rather coach in Auburn than Chicago any day but i imagine that is a great location to recruit. If Jacobs went after him, we would most likely be in a bidding war with them, if he decided to leave UTEP. I like Barbee alot too. He seems to be a very logical choice.

From what I have read about DePaul, they are in much worse shape than we are in. The fans don't give a rip about DePaul. Our fans are not that bad, plus, we are getting brand spanking new facilities. Auburn would be a better choice. 

I have heard that Depaul is looking for a new coach and they intend on going after him. Do you think he would rather be the man at Depaul or for us, 92? I'm not sure about him but i would rather coach in Auburn than Chicago any day but i imagine that is a great location to recruit. If Jacobs went after him, we would most likely be in a bidding war with them, if he decided to leave UTEP. I like Barbee alot too. He seems to be a very logical choice.

ya Depaul fired there coach also, St Johns will probably do the same so thats two programs we will be battling for a coach. but the good thing for us is that were not in the Big East ( the hardest conference in college bball) and those programs would be very difficult to succeed at. We have brand new facilities and will more than likely be willing to pay a good coach to come and also play in the sec west so I think we could get barbee over any of those two schools

That is what i was thinking too. The only difference is Depaul is in Chicago and St Johns is in NY, and those are very fertile recruiting grounds in basketball, so that has to be attractive for an up and coming coach. At the same time, i really think Barbee would be a good fit for us. I'm doing a little research, to make my wish list and there is alot to like about Barbee.

Everybody says he didnt do anything at Kentucky but he won it all and thats one more time than we have. I would rather have a guy who has put more teams in the ncaa tournmant than auburn has done all together.

Everybody says he didnt do anything at Kentucky but he won it all and thats one more time than we have. I would rather have a guy who has put more teams in the ncaa tournmant than auburn has done all together.

he wont a nat'l championship his first year with petinos players

Seriously, you should read his bio on wikipedia. I linked it on one of my earlier posts in this topic. We would be lucky to get him.

Archived