EXPECTATIONS

5A-au-tiger85

WILL BARBEE GET AU 2 THE TOURNEY IN ATLEAST 3 YEARS  

100 members have voted

1. 1. WILL BARBEE GET AU 2 THE TOURNEY IN ATLEAST 3 YEARS

• YES
    • NO

WITH THE SEC BEING AS WEAK AS ITS BEEN THE LAST FEW YEARS, I THINK YES HE COULD SLIP IN THERE WITHIN 2 OR 3 YEARS EASILEY !!!!!!

WDE

This year the SEC put 4 teams in the tourny.  Last year they put in 3.  You have to expect Kentucky to make a constant appearance in the tourny so there's one of you spots.  Tennessee is usually a pretty good team.  If Auburn can beat Florida, Vandy, and Ole Miss then you're looking at an extremely solid chance to play in the tourny. Lately weve had no trouble with Miss State, LSU, Arkansas, Georgia, and (somewhat) Bama.  That leaves South Carolina as a big game, and they are losing most of their team in Devin Downy.

So I voted yes

Definitely YES..... heck, even Bama might get in if they expand to 96 teams..... MIGHT I said....  :)

I think expansion is a huge mistake, but  money controls everything, so we'll see.

Hopefully, not only will be going to the Big Dance, but we can make some noise as well. These days, it seems like most competitive teams make the NCAA's and all will if they expand like they want to. It won't be near as big a deal just making the dance with expansion, teams will have to win as well or be considered failures. I fully believe, for a variety of reasons, Barbee has us dancing sooner than later.

"Within three years" is a very modest goal. Even with the current 65 teams in the tournament, a school like Auburn, in a major conference, should be there more or less routinely. With the 96 team format we should expect to be a shoo-in every year.

The lone exception might be next season. The cupboard is very bare in the talent dept in signees and returning players. Most of the outstanding BB prospects sign in the early period (last November) so that's already done. Auburn has ZERO slots anyway, but that could change if some current players and signees are released.

The problem with releasing them is that at this time of year there just aren't many suitable replacement players out there and there won't be any until next November, too late to help the '10/'11 team.

I mean with 96 teams u can go .500 and make the tourney... Probably the dumbest idea I've seen in awhile... I think our goal should be winning the SEC since theres really not any prestige in making a tourney that basically any ok teams can make now...

With the Tournament expanding to 96 teams, I think we will be in.  Now it will be a question of how far you make it into the NCAAs.  I think it's a mistake.  It's like teams making bowl games with 6-5 records.  The whole early rounds will be horrible games with teams not fit to be there.  Good bye RPI meaning anything.  Good bye to any real interest in the regular season, (like in the NBA). 

We will make it in.  Probably 3 years before we are a force to be reckoned with.

:wedance:

It's a business decision by the NCAA and University Presidents.  These extra games will be money makers.  It takes money away from the NIT.  None of that NIT money has gone to the NCAA in the past.  I am curious to see how the bracket works out.  I don't know if they will use the same format and add two regions or expand the regions.  They may possibly take the top 32 and give them a first round bye and let the other 64 play to get it down to 64 as it is now.  I don't think the quality of the early games will be much different than they are now. 

I hope we're able to win at least 20 next year and have a good showing in the SEC tournament and we beat bammer each time we play them.

It's a business decision by the NCAA and University Presidents.  These extra games will be money makers.  It takes money away from the NIT.   None of that NIT money has gone to the NCAA in the past.  I am curious to see how the bracket works out.  I don't know if they will use the same format and add two regions or expand the regions.  They may possibly take the top 32 and give them a first round bye and let the other 64 play to get it down to 64 as it is now.   I don't think the quality of the early games will be much different than they are now.   

It will be the top 32 teams with a bye, and the others playing to play them.  I just think it waters down the meaning of going to the tourny.  They are going to make money and destroy a great thing.  Remember when going to a bowl game meant that you had a great season?  Now it means you had a winning season.

>:(

If the tourney expands we have a very good chance. If we do not, it may take more than three years? Why? Well, as someone said, this is a weak conference. We did not get in last year after winning 24 games which included wins over Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Mississippi State. Unless the tourney expands we are going to have to seriously upgrade the non-conference schedule and beat some of those teams. Can it be done? Yes. I am tempering my expectations for a number of reasons. One of them being that we do not have a whole lot of talent returning. We do not have a big man (Maybe Kemp fills that role). I'm excited about this new coach. At the same time, this new coach does not equal instant success.

"Within three years" is a very modest goal. Even with the current 65 teams in the tournament, a school like Auburn, in a major conference, should be there more or less routinely. With the 96 team format we should expect to be a shoo-in every year.

The lone exception might be next season. The cupboard is very bare in the talent dept in signees and returning players. Most of the outstanding BB prospects sign in the early period (last November) so that's already done. Auburn has ZERO slots anyway, but that could change if some current players and signees are released.

The problem with releasing them is that at this time of year there just aren't many suitable replacement players out there and there won't be any until next November, too late to help the '10/'11 team.

Also the basketball landscape can change in one year.  He'll be in next year IMO.  Especially with the way he is grabbing the tiger by the tail.

Archived