Steele Wants Release

Auhsv

I'm listening to WJOX and they said some kid had talked to Barbee and wanted released from his scholly.  I didn't heear who it was.  Anybody hear it or got an idea?

I think they might have been talking about Jalen Steele. Any of the basketball people know much about this kid? I heard he was AA player of the year at Fulton County averged 24 points a game and was like 6'3. They did say his release is pending but I can't imagine Auburn would make him stay when he doesn't want to be here. Is this a big lose or just an opening for a Barbee recruit??

I dont think it's Steele, I know Anthony Salter, a JUCO point guard wants out of his scholly because of some kind of trouble he is having with a class in JUCO or something of that nature. Not necessarilly anything to do with Barbee. That is the only person I've heard of wanting out so far.

It is Steele.

He met with Barbee already and wants to consider other schools. Not much to worry about as Barbee is a recrutiing nut who will go after his style of player.

Not worried at all because Barbee's rep is very very good. And when he announces his staff next week, it'll be much clearer.

See other posts about new recruits

I dont think it's Steele, I know Anthony Salter, a JUCO point guard wants out of his scholly because of some kind of trouble he is having with a class in JUCO or something of that nature. Not necessarilly anything to do with Barbee. That is the only person I've heard of wanting out so far.

Steele`s coach says he is or has requested a release. he wants to look around some more and is not necessarily closing the door on Auburn but just wants the opportunity to look. Who knows where he might end up.

If he doesn't want to be at Auburn.  Then give him release with the stipulation that he has to go to a school outside of the SEC.

:wareagle:

If he doesn't want to be at Auburn.  Then give him release with the stipulation that he has to go to a school outside of the SEC.

:wareagle:

I agree, let him go but not to another SEC school. If he doesn't want to be here fine, but don't let him help anyone we compete against. That's fair to both sides. Too bad it can't work out, he is going to be a good one.

The more people that leave, the more spots Coach Barbee has to bring in his own guys. Personally, I really like the sound of that. If you don't want to hop on the train, then get off the tracks fast!

I can't believe that I agree with every posts.  I want players who want to play at AU.  Coach Barbee needs to have room to recruit some next year.  With no seniors on the squad and being very close to the maximum of 13 schollys available in bball, Coach was left in a tight spot and requires tough decisions.  I have 100% confidence that he will make the right ones.  I would give Steele his decision after April 14th (I think that's the next signing day).

I agree. Release them conditionally, so they cannot go to any other SEC school, unless he wants to sit out a year.

No let him go where he wants. I want him to see what he left every year when we beat him.

Haha, yeah seems like I was a little behind on the info curve, no worries though, like everybody else I think Barbee can bring in his guys that are going to be great "replacements" lol

I know if I had the chance to play for Barbee I would take the oppurtunity. Maybe he thinks with all the talent we're going to bring in next year, he won't see much time. I have a great feeling that the classes we bring in this year/next year will be top recruiting classes. WDE

The more people that leave, the more spots Coach Barbee has to bring in his own guys. Personally, I really like the sound of that. If you don't want to hop on the train, then get off the tracks fast!

Except that most good prospects already signed last November, in the early signing period. The loss of two point guards, Steele and Salter, hits us at a position where we are really weak.

Only the coach that sits down across the table and discusses this with them can make the call on whether to release or not. Maybe he knows of a suitable replacement that's available, maybe not. I suppose if they really want to go, you can give them a conditional release and not help the SEC opponents.

I do maintain that it's not good news for us to lose two promising guard prospects when we don't have a single scholarship point guard returning to the team.

Archived