Beard-Eaves Coliseium

aupops2

With the new indoor practice facility now approved, and now that we can see how it fits into our new athletic complex, the obvious question is:  What happens to Beard-Eaves?  The name itself reminds one that to demolish that magnificent structure will take some soul-searching.  There's an awful lot of history in that building, not only because of the name, but because of the many, many memories that we all hold.  Great basketball games, men and women, concerts, graduations , ad infinitum.  However, if you look at an aerial view of the coliseium, the footprint that that structure commands within the athletic complex is massive.  We now know where the Arena is, where the new practice facility is, and right in the middle is this huge space.  What the campus planners and the athletic department decide to do with that space is a huge, huge decision.  I would guess that all bets are off on old plans that have been done over the past years.  One thing is for sure, the building has to be demolished.  When it does, a part of all our lives will go with it; at least mine will.

Great post pops. I have lots of memories from watching games in that building and I really wish that they wouldn't tear it down. It'll be sad to see it go but the memories that we've taken from Beard-Eaves will be with us forever. War Eagle Beard-Eaves Memorial Colesium and thank you for the memories!!

I believe that after BEMC is demolished they are going to build a parking deck there and they will also be building the new student recreation center near the same spot.

"With the opening of the Auburn Arena, the trustees were also told of a preliminary plan to demolish Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum and build a parking garage its place.

Auburn approved Inifinity Architecture of Montgomery as the design consultants and Robins and Morton Construction of Birmingham as the construction manager.

A $72 million student wellness center was also approved. It will be located near Beard-Eaves and the Auburn Arena. Construction will likely begin in a year with an opening two years later."

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/06/auburn_approves_construction_o.html

Ok people, let's go with memories !!  Mine was having a son, daughter, daughter-in-law, graduate from there.  Then, I saw one of the best performances I've ever seen from an entertainer;  Tina Turner!!  All in that great building!!  C'mon people, I know you've got some memories you can share

I was at the first game and saw Wally Tinker make the first basket in BEMC and I was there at the last game and saw Tink make the same shot after that last game was over.

In between I saw Henry Harris, Auburn's first black athlete and John Mengelt, still the best basketball player ever at Auburn.

Auburn's Larry Hill beating previously undefeated bammer John Hannah in a heavyweight wrestling match in which Auburn absolutely killed 'em. Auburn won every match that night. Swede Umbach could coach some wrestling.

Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley being the guards on the Sewell Hall intramural basketball team. That outfit could have beaten some SEC clubs. Had Sullivan grown up in Kentucky, he'd have been an AA basketball player instead of a Heisman winner.

Bob Hope show, a son graduating, and Joe Champi's amazing women's teams of the late '80's and early 90's.

On the staff in '71, in there for some forgotten reason about ten o'clock one night and heard this pit-pat, pit pat, getting faster and nearer, spooky in the semi-dark. Then Terry Beasley turned the corner going faster than a human should be able to run. Around and around he went. I left after several minutes and Beasley was still running the concourse. Crazy...

If they tear it down, I want a brick!

I was at the first game and saw Wally Tinker make the first basket in BEMC and I was there at the last game and saw Tink make the same shot after that last game was over.

In between I saw Henry Harris, Auburn's first black athlete and John Mengelt, still the best basketball player ever at Auburn.

Auburn's Larry Hill beating previously undefeated bammer John Hannah in a heavyweight wrestling match in which Auburn absolutely killed 'em. Auburn won every match that night. Swede Umbach could coach some wrestling.

Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley being the guards on the Sewell Hall intramural basketball team. That outfit could have beaten some SEC clubs. Had Sullivan grown up in Kentucky, he'd have been an AA basketball player instead of a Heisman winner.

Bob Hope show, a son graduating, and Joe Champi's amazing women's teams of the late '80's and early 90's.

On the staff in '71, in there for some forgotten reason about ten o'clock one night and heard this pit-pat, pit pat, getting faster and nearer, spooky in the semi-dark. Then Terry Beasley turned the corner going faster than a human should be able to run. Around and around he went. I left after several minutes and Beasley was still running the concourse. Crazy...

If they tear it down, I want a brick!

I saw my first Auburn vs Alabama basketball game there back when Chris Porter, Doc Robinson and company had just clinched the western division outright... we beat bama that day like 104-62 or something along those lines... it was an awesome sight.

I was a youngster back then and was just getting serious about Auburn basketball... memory is a little vague... but I certainly remember having such a great first game memory.

I think Beard Eaves could be used as a great recruiting factor with some upgrades... would hate to see it torn down.

I know that these new upgrades are supposed to help with recruiting... but I would like to see Beard Eaves stick around for other reasons.

Concert Hall, people exercise there and its a great place to go when its Raining or Freezing out.

Historic Value... great place to hang around when tailgating for football... Air Conditioned... cant tell you how many times I have hung out there listening to Jim Fyffe in the past.

Charles Barkely and other Auburn greats have played there for goodness sakes.

Anyway... sorry to rant... but I would rather keep that awesome place around.

The Auburn-Bama 102-61 beatdown in like 99 and the 98-40 win in 98 against the Tide. Chris Porter's dunk against LSU and the victory over Alabama last year! Along with the women's victory over Pat Summit's team year before last. I was lucky enough to see all of them and I won't ever forget 'em. And chillin in there on gamedays before the game and taking a nap! << this was AUsome!

The Auburn-Bama 102-61 beatdown in like 99 and the 98-40 win in 98 against the Tide. Chris Porter's dunk against LSU and the victory over Alabama last year! Along with the women's victory over Pat Summit's team year before last. I was lucky enough to see all of them and I won't ever forget 'em. And chillin in there on gamedays before the game and taking a nap! << this was AUsome!

Nuff Said ^^^ pwease dont tear it down!

There are a lot of great memories in BEMC for sure, but I think it simply takes up too much room for any purpose that it could now be used for. Unfortunately, with progress comes change. I myself have had many great times over the years there but any way ya look at it, BEMC is sitting on some prime property and could be used more effectively. Maybe AU could throw a big party for it and send it off in style! WDE.

There are a lot of great memories in BEMC for sure, but I think it simply takes up too much room for any purpose that it could now be used for. Unfortunately, with progress comes change. I myself have had many great times over the years there but any way ya look at it, BEMC is sitting on some prime property and could be used more effectively. Maybe AU could throw a big party for it and send it off in style! WDE.

I completely agree. There are SOOOO many wonderful moments and memories had in BEMC and it will be a sad day when they tear it down. But, like you said, it's on some prime property so I don't think the powers-that-be will have any problem tearing it down.

People, it's going to be demolished!! Will you please share some memories with us?

I saw many concerts there as a student, Graduated in there, and saw the best win Auburn lady tigers ever had in 2009 (Over the Lady Vols - Packed house)  and every day for 4 years  I ran around the inside loop of the Coliseum, however I believe it needs to be torn down.  It's an eye sore

Archived