Dion Lewis-Pittsburg RB

aupops2

I put this under "Auburn Recruiting" for a reason.  We have had a lot of threads recently about our current RB recruiting status, and this kid's history is , IMO, very relevant for two reasons.  First, he was not that highly recruited, with offers from the likes of Tulane, Rutgers, Cincinnati, and others. ( I know Cincinnati could be considered big, but you get my drift). Secondly, he is 5'8", 195#(sound like anyone else you know?).  When Dyer was signed, I compared him to Dion Lewis as early as last February.  I know MD WAS highly recruited, so the comparison is not good there, but there is where the differences end.  Dion carried the ball 325 times for almost 1800 yards last year as a freshman, carrying 47 times against Cincinnati!!!  There are many running backs out there, incoming high school seniors, that could be the next Dion Lewis.  And I think that at least three or four are not only on our radar, but are the center of our RB focus.  I would put Carson, Buie, and Bray in that group, as not that highly ranked, but compact (like Dion), and potential workhorses.  Add to that the presence of a least two "hosses" , Allen and Coe, who are the size that CGM wants to add to his offense.  This year, we will have a hoss" (Mario), and we will have a workhorse(MD).  Next year, after these high school kids get that senior year under their belts,  we will have a bevy of new backs that we all can be proud of.  Further, I believe our staff knows who they are.

Dion Lewis was the heart of Pittsburgh's offense last year. Their production depended on him. He would have about 40 carries a game. I agree with you aupops!

That is exactly what I've been thinking. Dion was a top 5 RB in college football last year, and he was a lightly recruited 3*. This shows you dont always need to be a 5* stud RB to be successful. Great post.

P.S. Bray is not a great comparison, because he is very very highly recruited. He's a top 20 player on ESPN

I erronously did not include Blakeley and Hart, both of which are built like Dion Lewis , but are highly recruited.  I do believe we have a good shot at one of them, which adds more hope and promise to this year's RB class.  Personally, I feel we have a better chance with Hart, because RichRod and UM are going to blow up like a bomb.

I wish some of you would get over the stars already. Daren Bates was a 2 star, remember. Dion Lewis is another perfect example.

I have more faith in Chiz, Lupe, Troop, and the rest of the guys rather than ESPN, rivals or scout.

Good post Pops.

I wish some of you would get over the stars already. Daren Bates was a 2 star, remember. Dion Lewis is another perfect example.

I have more faith in Chiz, Lupe, Troop, and the rest of the guys rather than ESPN, rivals or scout.

Good post Pops.

Many people, including me, are going to pay attention to stars no matter how many examples of "diamonds in the rough" others give, because there are many more All-Americans who were highly recruited than those who were lightly recruited. There's a reason players are so highly rated, it's because more than likely they'll succeed. Florida and Alabama arent so deep and talented and successful because they found alot of "diamonds in the rough", it's because they've gotten more highly touted players than almost every other school the past 5 years

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/pitt-m-footbl-sched.html

put a few SEC defenses on there and he'll look a tad less super human.  I'm not trying to take away from what you're saying.  The kid is not only very talented, but a special football player.  He did more than just carry that team last year.

Good post Pops.

Many people, including me, are going to pay attention to stars no matter how many examples of "diamonds in the rough" others give, because there are many more All-Americans who were highly recruited than those who were lightly recruited. There's a reason players are so highly rated, it's because more than likely they'll succeed. Florida and Alabama arent so deep and talented and successful because they found alot of "diamonds in the rough", it's because they've gotten more highly touted players than almost every other school the past 5 years

^^^this^^^    I couldn't agree more.

Good post Pops.

i agree with what you said... if a team signs 25 players and 17 of them are  4 star prospects...Theres a good chances that most of them are going to be great football players.

Out of 17 4 star prospects... what would you say... um maybe 3-4 of them dont pan out talent wise... which means you have 13 that are going to live up to the hype.

I would much rather take my chances on 4 and 5 star prospects than dig up the Diamonds in the rough.4

There is nothing wrong with taking a few jewels here and there... but I would not bank an entire class on them.

I put this under "Auburn Recruiting" for a reason.  We have had a lot of threads recently about our current RB recruiting status, and this kid's history is , IMO, very relevant for two reasons.  First, he was not that highly recruited, with offers from the likes of Tulane, Rutgers, Cincinnati, and others. ( I know Cincinnati could be considered big, but you get my drift). Secondly, he is 5'8", 195#(sound like anyone else you know?).  When Dyer was signed, I compared him to Dion Lewis as early as last February.  I know MD WAS highly recruited, so the comparison is not good there, but there is where the differences end.  Dion carried the ball 325 times for almost 1800 yards last year as a freshman, carrying 47 times against Cincinnati!!!   There are many running backs out there, incoming high school seniors, that could be the next Dion Lewis.  And I think that at least three or four are not only on our radar, but are the center of our RB focus.  I would put Carson, Buie, and Bray in that group, as not that highly ranked, but compact (like Dion), and potential workhorses.  Add to that the presence of a least two "hosses" , Allen and Coe, who are the size that CGM wants to add to his offense.  This year, we will have a hoss" (Mario), and we will have a workhorse(MD).  Next year, after these high school kids get that senior year under their belts,  we will have a bevy of new backs that we all can be proud of.  Further, I believe our staff knows who they are.

Uh, Pops, while I don't disagree with your point at all, Buie is 88th in the country per rivals, and Bray is 112th. Both are rated 4 stars...that's not exactly rated low. Compared to the guys we were courting last year, sure, but nevertheless, very good players.

I put this under "Auburn Recruiting" for a reason.  We have had a lot of threads recently about our current RB recruiting status, and this kid's history is , IMO, very relevant for two reasons.  First, he was not that highly recruited, with offers from the likes of Tulane, Rutgers, Cincinnati, and others. ( I know Cincinnati could be considered big, but you get my drift). Secondly, he is 5'8", 195#(sound like anyone else you know?).  When Dyer was signed, I compared him to Dion Lewis as early as last February.  I know MD WAS highly recruited, so the comparison is not good there, but there is where the differences end.  Dion carried the ball 325 times for almost 1800 yards last year as a freshman, carrying 47 times against Cincinnati!!!   There are many running backs out there, incoming high school seniors, that could be the next Dion Lewis.  And I think that at least three or four are not only on our radar, but are the center of our RB focus.  I would put Carson, Buie, and Bray in that group, as not that highly ranked, but compact (like Dion), and potential workhorses.  Add to that the presence of a least two "hosses" , Allen and Coe, who are the size that CGM wants to add to his offense.  This year, we will have a hoss" (Mario), and we will have a workhorse(MD).  Next year, after these high school kids get that senior year under their belts,  we will have a bevy of new backs that we all can be proud of.  Further, I believe our staff knows who they are.

Uh, Pops, while I don't disagree with your point at all, but Buie is 88th in the country per rivals, and Bray is 112th. Both are rated 4 stars...that's not exactly rated low. Compared to the guys we were courting last year, sure, but nevertheless, very good players.

Yeah, but they are beasts! :cool:

Good post Pops.  I love it when we get a 2 star recruit who turns into a 5 star player.  With that said, I still like piling up the 4 and 5 star kids because the odds of them making it are better in most cases.  It's easier to find a diamond in the fairway than in the rough.

Get the best (4-5 stars) & coach up the rest...

Most championship teams are made up of both....

Archived