The High Road

WarEagle231

I am a fairly new Auburn Football Fan as I have only been following them for about 7 years.  Like most Auburn fans I have relatives that are Alabama fans.  I love the rivalry.  We are very fortunate to have the best rivalry in all of football. 

However, I hate the name calling and derogatory stereotyping of Alabama fans and coaches. When Auburn fans resort to that it tarnishes our image not theirs.  We don't need to slander UA to build up Auburn. 

Alabama is a great team to play against (And Beat). They have a great football program, a very talented coach, and maybe the best legacy in college football.  The same can be said about Auburn.  One of the things that attracted me to becoming an Auburn fan is the classy fans. 

If some Alabama fans want to act like idiots, that's fine.  There is a bias in the  state of Alabama toward UA and that may never change.  I guess what I am trying to say is that we win and Auburn wins when fans take the high road.

First off welcome to the family... While I can understand where you are coming from, there is nothing to love about East Mississippi Junior College. The day bammer fans stop being obnoxious and rubbing every gas station national championship trophy in our faces, is the day I might have something nice to say about that school, or it's fans. Ask some of the older AU fans on this page how well bammer fans treated them in the 60's and 70's during their heyday. You say you have been an Auburn fan for 7 years now, but really you have only experienced 2 maybe 3 years of bammer being a good team. I can promise you now that as long as they are winning, they are only going to get worse.

I hope in time you will learn to hate all things bammer like the rest of us. :laugh::wareagle:

First off welcome to the family... While I can understand where you are coming from, there is nothing to love about East Mississippi Junior College. The day bammer fans stop being obnoxious and rubbing every gas station national championship trophy in our faces, is the day I might have something nice to say about that school, or it's fans. Ask some of the older AU fans on this page how well bammer fans treated them in the 60's and 70's during their heyday. You say you have been an Auburn fan for 7 years now, but really you have only experienced 2 maybe 3 years of bammer being a good team. I can promise you now that as long as they are winning, they are only going to get worse.

I hope in time you will learn to hate all things bammer like the rest of us. :laugh::wareagle:

I can back that statement up.

After listening to my father and grandmother talk about the Barfield years and what it was like to be a real Auburn fan back in the day, I am afraid I will never have any respect for anything bammer. The last 7 years have been relatively blissful compared to the previous decades and should only get better from here. Enjoy the ride as things continue to get better and better, but don't forget about how tough it was to get there. War Eagle!

I know what we can expect of some Alabama fans...but I know we can expect more from Auburn fans.

There is always going to be smack talking in a heated rivalry.  Just because some Alabama fans go over the line doesn't mean we should.  There have been some great men that have played and coached at UA.  Shaun Alexander comes to mind.  He isn't a turd.  I'm a big enough man that I can acknowledge my competition.  

Now, I think Auburn is going to embarrass Alabama in the 2010 Iron Bowl.  

Anyway, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers...

WDE!

After listening to my father and grandmother talk about the Barfield years and what it was like to be a real Auburn fan back in the day, I am afraid I will never have any respect for anything bammer. The last 7 years have been relatively blissful compared to the previous decades and should only get better from here. Enjoy the ride as things continue to get better and better, but don't forget about how tough it was to get there. War Eagle!

Oh those were the dark days especially on defense

I know what we can expect of some Alabama fans...but I know we can expect more from Auburn fans.

There is always going to be smack talking in a heated rivalry.  Just because some Alabama fans go over the line doesn't mean we should.  There have been some great men that have played and coached at UA.  Shaun Alexander comes to mind.  He isn't a turd.  I'm a big enough man that I can acknowledge my competition.  

WDE!

I'm good,thanks.

WDE!

No worries, you aren't ruffling any feathers. I think because you are relatively new to the rivalry, you may see it as just your typical OSU vs Michigan or what ever rivalry... Here how ever it's different. It's nasty, it's cut throat, its 365 days a year, 24/7. Also remember that in those 7 years bammer has been down for almost 5 of them. What you are hearing now is just the tip of trash talking iceberg from bammer fans.. I promise you, give them 5 more years of winning like they are now, and you will hate them as much as we do.

If I were to become a new Georgia fan, I wouldn't be able to understand the hate between Georgia and Georgia Tech because I didn't get brought up in the rivalry, so I can see how you could say this. But growing up being called a second class citizen all your life by inbred fair-weather bammer fans and having to experience the arrogance from people who really don't know anything about football, I think most of us are justified in our disdain for the turds.  I have some friends who are bammers, but we simply just have enough respect for each other to stay away from certain subjects. Welcome to the family by the way. WDE!!!!!!!

I am a fairly new Auburn Football Fan as I have only been following them for about 7 years.  Like most Auburn fans I have relatives that are Alabama fans.  I love the rivalry.  We are very fortunate to have the best rivalry in all of football. 

However, I hate the name calling and derogatory stereotyping of Alabama fans and coaches. When Auburn fans resort to that it tarnishes our image not theirs.  We don't need to slander UA to build up Auburn. 

Alabama is a great team to play against (And Beat). They have a great football program, a very talented coach, and maybe the best legacy in college football.  The same can be said about Auburn.  One of the things that attracted me to becoming an Auburn fan is the classy fans. 

If some Alabama fans want to act like idiots, that's fine.  There is a bias in the  state of Alabama toward UA and that may never change.  I guess what I am trying to say is that we win and Auburn wins when fans take the high road.

I agree with all you are saying. The better they look, the better we look, when we stomp that ... rear. :zapbama:

I absolutely, positively loathe and hate everything about that team, university ,town and the fans!!!!!!! And I make no apoligies for it!!!!!!!! Now where's the dang spell check!!!!

:we:

Me too! Like Pat Dye said, Bammer fans don't think Auburn fans deserve to walk on the same street!

Oh and i forgot to mention their d**n coach too!!!!! And that stupid looking packaderm on their sidelines. By the way, what is a crimson tide?  :dunno:

It's a wave of large crimson-shirted football players headed down the field towards their opponent. It's supposed to be intimidating....like a tidal wave or something.  :rolleyes:

I don't think Coach Chiz and the guys are even remotely intimidated, especially after IB 2009. I think it's actually the other way around. ;D

I dont smack talk about AU/bammer football.Its just a game to me,something I enjoy a lot,but its not worth ruining my witness over a football team/game.

Now I do talk about AU football and bammer football with my close AU freinds(Aeagle ;)) and family(my whole blood related family is all AU),and we enjoy talking about bammer,but I dont talk smack to othe bammer fans.

I just dont think its worth it to hurt some one else over a football team/game.People and their,lets say eternal home,is more important to me than football,whether they are AU or bammers.I dont want to be one of those preachers that talks smack to a bammer fan,and then expect him to listen to what I have to say about eternal matters.

Lets put it this way,how many of you go to church with bammer fans who may be deacons or preachers,or regular church goers and all they do is talk about bama football and talk smack about AU football?Well,I dont want to be one of those fans,so I just tell folks I root for AU and take the guff that comes with it.I dont want to be like them.I just turn the other cheek. ;) Now I realize this isnt for all of you,Im not saying its for everyone, its just how I have chosen to be. Really,its just football to me,there are other more important things to worry about.

I'll stick to the tried and true "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all". Sometimes I fail but I am only human. I refuse to heap praise on anyone who resorted to cheating to get everything they ever had. The only thing I have ever seen that was great about that place was its desperation for relevance. Once you get to year 37 of this rivalry see if your opinion of them changes. I know mine has.  :wareagle:

Guest gkc81

Having grown up outside of Alabama, but as a lifelong AU fan, I used to think similar thoughts.  The turd fans cured me of that.  They do not win with dignity, they do not lose with dignity.  On my best days, I couldn't care less about bammer; on my worst I hope they lose every game they play in every sport and it rains/hails/snows during every practice at their fields.

I remember I was all set to watch the Iron Bowl one year, (it was being played in Auburn at night) and, as ESPN broke away from the previous game, they showed a great shot of JHS.  Then they just slowly panned over the entire crowd and not one of the announcers said a word.  All you could hear was insanity...it was SO loud!  After about 30 seconds of letting the TV audience soak up the manic aura, Lee Corso, (I think), simply said, "Welcome to the middle east of college football."

I have lately come to feel that we AU fans are the underground resistance in an occupied territory.  We wear our AU stuff and keep our mouths shut because we know our time is coming.  

We say "War Eagle" to each other and notice that Bama fans don't say anything to each other.  That's because we are all members of the same family.  Bama doesn't have that feeling so they never acknowledge each other like we do.  

Our day is coming and no amount of bama bragging, trash-talking or history can stop it.  We will win and they will trash talk and make excuses.  We will simply say, "War Eagle" and move on.

Mixed feelings here, so I guess I'll ramble.  I didn't have the pleasure of attending Auburn, but I grew up an Auburn fan through the end of the Jordan era and the Barfield days.  So I come by it honestly.

1. Auburn and Alabama are different schools.  Honestly, I'd be disappointed if my child chose Alabama for an undergraduate degree.  It's not that they're academically inferior -- they're decent and improving -- it's that the feel of the place is so socially competitive, etc. 

Auburn, OTOH, breeds a community.  That's an overgeneralization, but there's something to it.  I have the War Eagle experience all the time and all over the world.

2. I can respect Alabama football.  As a kid I went to Bama home games and rooted for them.  Those late 70s teams were incredibly good.  I don't have a problem with their kids, and I wish them -- the kids -- the best.

OTOH, Bama fans are hard to like.  They sit around at games waiting to be pleased.  When the team is good, nothing actually excites them.  Honestly, I don't think they have that much fun.  Unfortunately, Auburn's had some periods where the fans have been a little complacent too.  But it's not the norm.

3. Some Bama fans are fine, and some are obnoxious.  What's obnoxious is exactly what several have said.  They're only about insults.  When Bama is down, they can't take even the slightest dig.  They have no humor.  There are Bama fans you can't even watch a game with; they're that bad.  That's why you get the hate on the board.

I like the high road, too.  But you have to know why Bama fans have earned their reputation.

I dont smack talk about AU/bammer football.Its just a game to me,something I enjoy a lot,but its not worth ruining my witness over a football team/game.

Now I do talk about AU football and bammer football with my close AU freinds(Aeagle ;)) and family(my whole blood related family is all AU),and we enjoy talking about bammer,but I dont talk smack to othe bammer fans.

I just dont think its worth it to hurt some one else over a football team/game.People and their,lets say eternal home,is more important to me than football,whether they are AU or bammers.I dont want to be one of those preachers that talks smack to a bammer fan,and then expect him to listen to what I have to say about eternal matters.

Lets put it this way,how many of you go to church with bammer fans who may be deacons or preachers,or regular church goers and all they do is talk about bama football and talk smack about AU football?Well,I dont want to be one of those fans,so I just tell folks I root for AU and take the guff that comes with it.I dont want to be like them.I just turn the other cheek. ;) Now I realize this isnt for all of you,Im not saying its for everyone, its just how I have chosen to be. Really,its just football to me,there are other more important things to worry about.

Couldn't agree more BroJM, I have to keep my mouth shut alot for this reason and sometimes I want to explode but keep it close to the vest. I am a Youth Minister and some of my students know I'm an Auburn fan. Have you ever had a teenaged bama fan get on you? There better be some special awards for us up there! HaHa  :thumbsup:

I hate to say it, but the 'High Road' is for those who have not grown up around Alabama fans.  I agree that it's the right thing to do, but it's near impossible when every custodian that you see has a UA shirt on.  Seriously, i know some cool Bama fans, but they are rare.

One of MANY arrogant encounters with Turd fans:  Back in 2006, when we last played South Carolina,  it was a Thursday night game and was by all accounts a very ugly win for Auburn.  At the time, Auburn was ranked in the Top 7 or 8 and Alabama was in midst of the Shula era.  I took the Friday off of work to party late and just came back in on Monday.  When I came in, I had 2 turds WAITING to harass me about how TERRIBLE Auburn looked in that WIN.  What was more telling about this was that during that weekend Alabama barely (and I mean BARELY) managed to hold off the dreaded Duke Blue Devils at home.  Only a TURD would even bring up football to a rival fan after that kind of nailbiter.

I wait until I am provoked and then I attack. I have no love for anything uat. Whether its football, baseball, basketball, cricket, or checkers, I hope they lose every game they ever play and the the entire institution that is uat collapses upon itself.

Archived