Unleashing the Defense

DyeHardAllTheWay

Last year, our defense was one of the least talented, least experienced, and most depth-less defensive units in Auburn history. As a result, our defense statistically was the worst defense in Auburn history. And when you add in injuries, it's a recipe for disaster. Because of this, some of the most conservative play calling was a result. This year, we return almost all of our defensive players and we add one of the most talented recruiting classes ever to that depth chart. That means Ted Roof will probably get to go back to being the creative blitzer he became famous for. Our defense will improve guaranteed, but our offense's tempo of course might hinder a top 10 or even top 25 defense, no matter what. Still, I think it's going to be a special season if we have the right mix of leadership and those willing to learn. War Eagle!!!!

I just want to see our defense play like an angry hornets nest.

Everybody attacking the football. I won't mind if the first person can not bring the ball carrier down, as long as there is help coming!

Last year, our defense was one of the least talented, least experienced, and most depth-less defensive units in Auburn history. As a result, our defense statistically was the worst defense in Auburn history. And when you add in injuries, it's a recipe for disaster. Because of this, some of the most conservative play calling was a result. This year, we return almost all of our defensive players and we add one of the most talented recruiting classes ever to that depth chart. That means Ted Roof will probably get to go back to being the creative blitzer he became famous for. Our defense will improve guaranteed, but our offense's tempo of course might hinder a top 10 or even top 25 defense, no matter what. Still, I think it's going to be a special season if we have the right mix of leadership and those willing to learn. War Eagle!!!!

This is my 25th year as an Auburn fan and I am pretty sure that last year was the worst D I have ever seen.

:believe:

Everybody attacking the football. I won't mind if the first person can not bring the ball carrier down, as long as there is help coming!

I think I've read where Chizik teaches the first defender to go for a home run hit instead of wrapping up and I believe this is a technique that didn't work for a tired and depth depleted defense.  I think if the players had been taught to wrap up and then allow help to bring the ball carrier down it would have made for just as hard hitting and more tackles on first contact.  I was always taught to stand the ball carrier up so one of my fellow defenders could lay a hard hit on him  :dunno:.  It was quite effective IMO.

I think I've read where Chizik teaches the first defender to go for a home run hit instead of wrapping up and I believe this is a technique that didn't work for a tired and depth depleted defense.  I think if the players had been taught to wrap up and then allow help to bring the ball carrier down it would have made for just as hard hitting and more tackles on first contact.  I was always taught to stand the ball carrier up so one of my fellow defenders could lay a hard hit on him  :dunno:.  It was quite effective IMO.

The theory is that the first player going for the big hit will force more turnovers. If the first attacker wraps up, the ball carrier has time to secure the ball in time for the next hit.

I'm not sold on the practice (especially with a thin defense) but it worked well for Chizik and Boom at AU and UT. The problem is when the defense gets tired and is no longer able to lay the wood on the initial hit and they aren't used to wrapping up.

No, the problem is what we saw last year...our guys went for the big first hit and all too often, we MISSED.  As much as Bates was fun to watch when lighting people up, we gave up way too many yards going for the kill instead of containing our opponents.

I remember watching the 2009 opener against ULM...our defense looked awesome and extremely dominant...

But we all know the rest of the story for that season concerning our offensive, internal problems...

Last year the O showed up = 180 degree turn around, but D was undermanned...

This year = hopefully we can put both O & D together again...I'm confident this will happen sooner or later

Chizik = D guru with a proven track record of excellence on the D side of the ball...

These incoming players are freshmen. That means they have never played a down of college football. It is going to be a growing process. I hope we keep that in mind.

These incoming players are freshmen. That means they have never played a down of college football. It is going to be a growing process. I hope we keep that in mind.

+1

I wish AU had the advantage of redshirting these incoming players - unfortunately they'll be asked to contribute early on in their AU careers.  And, regardless of the star-talent that's coming in, they will be green. 

Archived