Ward Transferring per Bryan Matthews

1TexasTiger

It doesn't say "to Auburn".... yet... just that he's leaving Texas.

Auburn is a very likely landing spot though....

Texas' Rivals site is reporting Ward to AU.

This is correct. He's transferring to AU, but tore his quad tendon Tuesday. He'll have surgery this weekend I think is what I was told and then rehab for a year. He'd have to sit out anyway, so it was good timing if you have to have an injury. On the medical hardship deal, I doubt he gets one since he's transferring and would have to sit out anyway.

He's a very good player and a nice pick-up assuming he can come back from his injury. Very good all-around guard.

This kid has had a hard time staying healthy. That's 3 injuries in 3 years that pretty much ended his season. I would love to have him he's a baller(and from my alma mater) but I hope he can stay healthy and have a productive season.

This is correct. He's transferring to AU, but tore his quad tendon Tuesday. He'll have surgery this weekend I think is what I was told and then rehab for a year. He'd have to sit out anyway, so it was good timing if you have to have an injury. On the medical hardship deal, I doubt he gets one since he's transferring and would have to sit out anyway.

He's a very good player and a nice pick-up assuming he can come back from his injury. Very good all-around guard.

So you are saying he reinjured his knee this week?  Can you confirm that?  Thanks.

So you are saying he reinjured his knee this week?  Can you confirm that?  Thanks.

With the exact same injury that ended his season last year... that he's been rehabbing since December?

In a recent tweet, Ward said that his knee might not be exactly 100% by the start of the season, but he was working to get there.

According to what I've read on AuburnUndercover Ward expects to be able to get a waiver to play this season. It doesn't say anything about any new injuries though.

With the exact same injury that ended his season last year... that he's been rehabbing since December?

In a recent tweet, Ward said that his knee might not be exactly 100% by the start of the season, but he was working to get there.

Sorry about that. I've been away from the board. The above poster is right, I was wrong. I thought he had reinjured it again, but that was a false report or a signal that got crossed somewhere. Again, sorry about the confusion.

Sorry about that. I've been away from the board. The above poster is right, I was wrong. I thought he had reinjured it again, but that was a false report or a signal that got crossed somewhere. Again, sorry about the confusion.

It's all good, MoC. 

This is great news for our team, I think.  TB is really laying some groundwork to get us up to the top.

:wedance:

No problem.  Just glad we have the guy.

wow, so he didn't reinjure it? I was talking to my buddy yesterday and was sad when I started telling him that he got hurt again.

Ward did NOT re-injure himself! He has been rehabbing after having surgery after a "freak" injury to his quad that ended his season during a lay-up drill last year!

His mother, Sharon, has a heart condition, and Ward wants to live closer to her. He has supposedly applied for a family hardship waiver, which would allow him to be eligible to play at AU this season.

Oh, and contrary to some rumors, Ward is a VERY big pickup for the Tigers! He was supposed to play a VALUABLE role for Texas this year! He was expected to start, and his former teammate and Longhorn great Damion James was quoted in THIS ESPN ARTICLE by Andy Katz as saying THIS vvv about Varez's role with the 2010-11 Longhorns...

"People don't know how much of an impact player he was for our team, how much of a leader,'' said James, who was going through a pre-draft workout with Notre Dame's Luke Harangody on Tuesday at the 360 Athletic Club in advance of heading to Chicago for the NBA's pre-draft combine this week.

"Maybe it didn't show, but with the freshmen struggling early it was overshadowed,'' James said. "We needed him. He was our extra lift.''

James said the 2010-11 Longhorns will be defined by Ward.

They'll have a good season with Jordan and Gary, but Varez was our best on-ball defender. He can pass the ball. He's a true point guard. He can get dudes the ball when they need it. He makes smart decisions. We had too many crucial turnovers.

"He's going to be the face of that team next year,'' James said of Ward. "No doubt. I know -- I hang around those guys. He works hard all the time and this is his time to shine and make a name for himself.''

Read more reaction from the Texas fanbase about Ward's transfer HERE.

This from the statesman.com...

Varez Ward, a guard on the Longhorn basketball team, will transfer to another school, a source familiar with his situation said.

Ward, a sophomore, is looking at several schools, but there have been rumors about him transferring to Auburn. The campus is a 35-minute drive from his family home in Montgomery, Ala.

Ward's decision was at least partially influenced by a desire to be closer to his mother, Sharon, who has a heart condition, sources in Alabama said.

Ward missed all but the first three games of his sophomore year last season after tearing his right quadriceps tendon during warm-ups before a game against Pittsburgh in Kansas City.

He had started all three games and was averaging 6.7 points. Ward was regarded as one of the better defensive players on the team

so is he actually going to be able to play this season or will he have to sit out?

I don't think we'll know until practice starts for the season. 

Archived