Bo, Barkley, and The Big Hurt on SEC Channel

cptau

If you can, make sure you watch. Lots of new interviews and details on 3 great Auburn players. On right now.

Excellent on so many levels.

Among the notable quotes ...

"I'll be honest: Me swinging an aluminum bat in college was very dangerous." -- Frank Thomas

"When I walked on the field, I was going to be the baddest ... fastest ... hardest hitting SOB out there" -- Bo Jackson

"We're forever family. And you're part of the family until you die."

Great feature! Im actually DVRing the replay later tonight.

Following them around during the last Iron Bowl was great. Bo was so stunned by that kick 6 run back he turned around and looked like he was directing the band standing on that bench.

I really enjoyed hearing the old stories told again. It was like being at a family reunion and hearing a good old story again, just told a little different.

Barkley's comment on only playing football for one day was hilarious, "You could get hurt out there!!!"

Coach Dye keeping Frank on a football scholarship so he could just play baseball....

It was pretty funny watching Bo recount the kick six... How dejected he was because he thought Griffith made it, then the visual of him turning back around toward the field in awe. I also like how he says Alabama like its two words. Al-Abama.

It was pretty funny watching Bo recount the kick six... How dejected he was because he thought Griffith made it, then the visual of him turning back around toward the field in awe. I also like how he says Alabama like its two words. Al-Abama.

I'm not positive but I think he forces himself to draw that out because of his stuttering issue.

Barkley saying he tried football once and his description of football & the guys willing to do it as "crazy" had me rolling.

All the stories over all the years about Bo, I'm still waiting for somebody to report the one my room mate & I saw against Georgia. He hit a homerun that hit the outfield lights, sending a shower of sparks a la "The Natural"...a few years before that movie came out.

That was fun to watch. Brought back a lot of memories. I was a tutor in the athletic department for a while in '82. I was in a study hall with Frank Thomas, though I never worked with him personally.

Scarbo has an interesting column up arguing that while Bo, Barkley, and Thomas were the best overall athletes to come out of Auburn, Cam, Chuck Person, and Tim Hudson probably had the greatest individual seasons at AU:

Just for fun, let's try a different exercise that leads to a different conclusion. Name the Auburn football, basketball and baseball players who enjoyed the single greatest season in a Tiger uniform.

Anyone else answer Cam Newton, Chuck Person and Tim Hudson?

Think about it. Like Jackson, Newton won the Heisman Trophy, but the force of nature at quarterback also led Auburn to an undefeated season in 2010 and the BCS national championship.

After Barkley left after his junior year for the NBA, his teammate Person stayed and lifted Auburn basketball to even greater heights the next two seasons. As a senior in 1986, Person was an All-American who led the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight, which remains the greatest postseason run in school history.

Almost a decade after Thomas, Hudson put together one of the greatest seasons in SEC history in 1997 as an outfielder who hit .396 with 18 homers and 95 RBIs and a pitcher who went 15-2 to lead the nation in wins. He was SEC and national player of the year, and he led the Tigers to the College World Series for just the third time in school history.

They haven't been back since.

So enjoy "Bo, Barkley and the Big Hurt." They were special and unforgettable for the entirety of their careers, but when it comes to one memorable season without compare, not even they can top Newton, Person and Hudson.

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere in his mom's basement some bammer was pouring over the NCAA rule book online while pausing his bama dynasty on NCAA Football for PS3 (where he has won 28 consecutive national titles), trying to find out if Coach Dye keeping Frank on football scholarship was against the rules so he can report Auburn for a violation...

That was fun to watch. Brought back a lot of memories. I was a tutor in the athletic department for a while in '82. I was in a study hall with Frank Thomas, though I never worked with him personally.

Scarbo has an interesting column up arguing that while Bo, Barkley, and Thomas were the best overall athletes to come out of Auburn, Cam, Chuck Person, and Tim Hudson probably had the greatest individual seasons at AU:

Just for fun, let's try a different exercise that leads to a different conclusion. Name the Auburn football, basketball and baseball players who enjoyed the single greatest season in a Tiger uniform.

Think about it. Like Jackson, Newton won the Heisman Trophy, but the force of nature at quarterback also led Auburn to an undefeated season in 2010 and the BCS national championship.

After Barkley left after his junior year for the NBA, his teammate Person stayed and lifted Auburn basketball to even greater heights the next two seasons. As a senior in 1986, Person was an All-American who led the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight, which remains the greatest postseason run in school history.

Almost a decade after Thomas, Hudson put together one of the greatest seasons in SEC history in 1997 as an outfielder who hit .396 with 18 homers and 95 RBIs and a pitcher who went 15-2 to lead the nation in wins. He was SEC and national player of the year, and he led the Tigers to the College World Series for just the third time in school history.

So enjoy "Bo, Barkley and the Big Hurt." They were special and unforgettable for the entirety of their careers, but when it comes to one memorable season without compare, not even they can top Newton, Person and Hudson.

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

Person's MO was hitting shots from what would have been 3 point range, except there were no 3 point field shots in college when he played, so his college point totals would have been even more off the charts.

Remember Auburn baseball phenom and future MLB all star Gabe Gross actually starting at QB for us as a true frosh during that horrendous 1998 season when we had injuries across the board (including Leard) that make the 2013 Gators look healthy?

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

Person's MO was hitting shots from what would have been 3 point range, except there were no 3 point field shots in college when he played, so his college point totals would have been even more off the charts.

Remember Auburn baseball phenom and future MLB all star Gabe Gross actually starting at QB for us as a true frosh during that horrendous 1998 season when we had injuries across the board (including Leard) that make the 2013 Gators look healthy?

I was two years ahead of Gabe at the rival high school in Dothan and knew him through another friend. I was also in school at Auburn when he was QB that year and he spent most of it on his back. When he saw him after the UT game where he was beaten up pretty bad we joked with him that we didn't recognize him without turf stuck to his face...he turned out to be a great baseball player for us though and had a nice cup of coffee in the MLB.

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

I actually thing Trey's season last year was a greater one season performance than Cam's. The man was was a giant among boys!

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

I was two years ahead of Gabe at the rival high school in Dothan and knew him through another friend. I was also in school at Auburn when he was QB that year and he spent most of it on his back. When he saw him after the UT game where he was beaten up pretty bad we joked with him that we didn't recognize him without turf stuck to his face...he turned out to be a great baseball player for us though and had a nice cup of coffee in the MLB.

Didnt Gross pay some of the games with a cast on his non-throwing arm? I mean a QB with a cast on his arm, even non-throwing, craziness. If I recall our go to "play" was Gross rolling out of the pocket then right before a defender got to him, launching the ball that eventually landed at the feet of a receiver.

Not trying to slight Gross, great baseball player, and was really doing AU a service by playing QB for us. Who knows what 3rd stringer we had? Markeith Cooper at QB? :muscles:

Does anyone have a good reason why the midget had to have an interview during this special. Don't really know what he said and don't care. What purpose did it serve to have him on an ALL AU special. He didn't even know or was ever even close to being around these guys. Just a way for espn to give a bammer a little face time?

Archived