Bo, Barkley, and The Big Hurt on SEC Channel

cptau

Great show. Loved the Barkley is the best athlete jabs between Charles and Bo. I know this has been going on for years but I'm glad they included it. Must also say that Nick Saban's comments were quite complementary and his agreeing to be a part of the show showed alot of class.

That was fun to watch. Brought back a lot of memories. I was a tutor in the athletic department for a while in '82. I was in a study hall with Frank Thomas, though I never worked with him personally.

Scarbo has an interesting column up arguing that while Bo, Barkley, and Thomas were the best overall athletes to come out of Auburn, Cam, Chuck Person, and Tim Hudson probably had the greatest individual seasons at AU:

Just for fun, let's try a different exercise that leads to a different conclusion. Name the Auburn football, basketball and baseball players who enjoyed the single greatest season in a Tiger uniform.

Anyone else answer Cam Newton, Chuck Person and Tim Hudson?

Think about it. Like Jackson, Newton won the Heisman Trophy, but the force of nature at quarterback also led Auburn to an undefeated season in 2010 and the BCS national championship.

After Barkley left after his junior year for the NBA, his teammate Person stayed and lifted Auburn basketball to even greater heights the next two seasons. As a senior in 1986, Person was an All-American who led the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight, which remains the greatest postseason run in school history.

Almost a decade after Thomas, Hudson put together one of the greatest seasons in SEC history in 1997 as an outfielder who hit .396 with 18 homers and 95 RBIs and a pitcher who went 15-2 to lead the nation in wins. He was SEC and national player of the year, and he led the Tigers to the College World Series for just the third time in school history.

They haven't been back since.

So enjoy "Bo, Barkley and the Big Hurt." They were special and unforgettable for the entirety of their careers, but when it comes to one memorable season without compare, not even they can top Newton, Person and Hudson.

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

I actually thing Trey's season last year was a greater one season performance than Cam's. The man was was a giant among boys!

No way! Maybe Michael Dyer, but one run will let u know that cam was a man among boys. It was a run against Arkansas, Where he just trucks that linebacker that filled the hole, I never seen a run like that!

Does anyone have a good reason why the midget had to have an interview during this special. Don't really know what he said and don't care. What purpose did it serve to have him on an ALL AU special. He didn't even know or was ever even close to being around these guys. Just a way for espn to give a bammer a little face time?

Fineboob served no purpose either. He just had to throw "red headed stepchild" and his love for bammer in. Pointless. Other than that, I really enjoyed the show.

It was pretty funny watching Bo recount the kick six... How dejected he was because he thought Griffith made it, then the visual of him turning back around toward the field in awe. I also like how he says Alabama like its two words. Al-Abama.

I'm not positive but I think he forces himself to draw that out because of his stuttering issue.

Ahh. Didn't mean to make light of it in that case.

Does anyone have a good reason why the midget had to have an interview during this special. Don't really know what he said and don't care. What purpose did it serve to have him on an ALL AU special. He didn't even know or was ever even close to being around these guys. Just a way for espn to give a bammer a little face time?

Saban's comments were actually very classy and complimentary. He wasn't part of the actual documentary, but had a brief comment at the end. Had you taken the time to actually listen, you would see that your hate is unfounded in this instance.

Fineboob served no purpose either. He just had to throw "red headed stepchild" and his love for bammer in. Pointless. Other than that, I really enjoyed the show.

His comments added nearly as much as Phillip Marshall's did.

Auburn finally gets some very good play on the "bama network", and people still gripe.

By the way, this SEC Storied has been in the works for well over a year. It is one of the more well done of the series I have seen. It was held up and hyped as one of the premier programs of the first two weeks of the SEC Network's launch. Uh oh.....that doesn't fit the narrative of ESPN and SEC Network hating Auburn.

Some Auburn fans just look for any possible negative that can be found. When there isn't a negative, one is fabricated. It is so frustrating.

Saban's comments were actually very classy and complimentary. He wasn't part of the actual documentary, but had a brief comment at the end. Had you taken the time to actually listen, you would see that your hate is unfounded in this instance.

I did go back and listen. I still don't see ANY reason why he had to have any face time versus any other coach that actually knew or coached against the trio. ALSO, my hate for the midget and the bammers IS founded in every instance.

I agree that Saban added absolutely no value to the show. Why they felt the need for him to chime in is beyond me. It would be different if he were a rival coach that had actually coached against any of them. Call me a Bammer hater but I thought it was just another way or get Saban on air on an Auburn show no less!

I can't think of a single reason for having Saben comment on Auburn players from the 80"s. Were did this come from? Is he an expert on everything? Get somebody relevant from that era. It does not even have to be a football coach. Just a renowned sports figure.

That was fun to watch. Brought back a lot of memories. I was a tutor in the athletic department for a while in '82. I was in a study hall with Frank Thomas, though I never worked with him personally.

Scarbo has an interesting column up arguing that while Bo, Barkley, and Thomas were the best overall athletes to come out of Auburn, Cam, Chuck Person, and Tim Hudson probably had the greatest individual seasons at AU:

Just for fun, let's try a different exercise that leads to a different conclusion. Name the Auburn football, basketball and baseball players who enjoyed the single greatest season in a Tiger uniform.

Anyone else answer Cam Newton, Chuck Person and Tim Hudson?

Think about it. Like Jackson, Newton won the Heisman Trophy, but the force of nature at quarterback also led Auburn to an undefeated season in 2010 and the BCS national championship.

After Barkley left after his junior year for the NBA, his teammate Person stayed and lifted Auburn basketball to even greater heights the next two seasons. As a senior in 1986, Person was an All-American who led the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight, which remains the greatest postseason run in school history.

Almost a decade after Thomas, Hudson put together one of the greatest seasons in SEC history in 1997 as an outfielder who hit .396 with 18 homers and 95 RBIs and a pitcher who went 15-2 to lead the nation in wins. He was SEC and national player of the year, and he led the Tigers to the College World Series for just the third time in school history.

They haven't been back since.

So enjoy "Bo, Barkley and the Big Hurt." They were special and unforgettable for the entirety of their careers, but when it comes to one memorable season without compare, not even they can top Newton, Person and Hudson.

Sounds like a sequel.

I'd watch that sequel.

I actually thing Trey's season last year was a greater one season performance than Cam's. The man was was a giant among boys!

*scratches head* huh?

Man when Bo told the story about a representative from bama talking to him and him saying he would've been at bama *shivers* If it were not for pat dye saying he would do everything in his ability for bo to start he would've been at bama, Thank you Pat Dye

Man when Bo told the story about a representative from bama talking to him and him saying he would've been at bama *shivers* If it were not for pat dye saying he would do everything in his ability for bo to start he would've been at bama, Thank you Pat Dye

And thank you, Bear Bryant, for Bama arrogance.

Having graduated Auburn in 88 I had the pleasure of seeing all these greats, I don't think all of the big 3 sports have been as successful at the same time since they left. Also, Coach Dye had a lot to do with that since he was AD at the time.

Archived