AU/UA women. Worst college game of the century?

Mikey

This game was for the cellar in the SEC and we won the cellar! AU had something like 28 turnovers and at least seven of them were shot clock violations. On several other occasions AU had to just throw the ball at the basket at the shot-buzzer. That went on all night. When we got the ball trailing by one point with 12.5 seconds left my thought was "we'll never get a shot off", and we didn't.

I'll leave all the horrible passing and never running a play (that caused a lot of the shot clock problem) for someone else to comment on. Also, Muhammed's lack of discipline cost us our best player. I'd expect more from a senior.

In short, long years ago in a previous life I coached girls high school basketball. If a team of mine had performed that poorly we'd have waited for the crowd to clear out and have an hour or two more practice tonight.

Had we been playing a good team we'd have lost by 40 points or more.

This game was for the cellar in the SEC and we won the cellar! AU had something like 28 turnovers and at least seven of them were shot clock violations. On several other occasions AU had to just throw the ball at the basket at the shot-buzzer. That went on all night. When we got the ball trailing by one point with 12.5 seconds left my thought was "we'll never get a shot off", and we didn't.

I'll leave all the horrible passing and never running a play (that caused a lot of the shot clock problem) for someone else to comment on. Also, Muhammed's lack of discipline cost us our best player. I'd expect more from a senior.

In short, long years ago in a previous life I coached girls high school basketball. If a team of mine had performed that poorly we'd have waited for the crowd to clear out and have an hour or two more practice tonight.

Had we been playing a good team we'd have lost by 40 points or more.

Yes she had a lack of discipline, but she did get the crap slapped out of her by a punk taking a cheap shot. This loss is not on her back. We should be much much much better than we are. Honestly, our bench should be able to handle bama. They play in an old piece of s*** gym for an Athletic Department that treats their program as an afterthought. This is year 3 for our coaching staff and our best players remain two that were recruited by Nell Fortner and her staff. I will always appreciate what Nell accomplished and respect her for wanting to step aside when she thought that the program needed fresh energy

I have grown to like Coach Flo, but something has to change. First, she needs to hire a new recruiting coordinator. We did bring in a 5 star this year that has promise, but we have to improve our talent lever to be able to compete in the SEC. We may realistically go winless in the SEC this year. As a season ticket holder and alum that loves Auburn, I will not accept that and neither will many others.

I really don't fault muhammad in that situation. Obviously she could have handled it differently but at the same time, its human reaction to not back down when you are punched in the face. In the heat of the battle there aren't many that wouldn't try to retaliate. It's just human nature. It was a cowardly thing to do by the uat player. She literally threw the puinch and ran away. The SEC needs to hand down a serious punishment to #5 for uat. It needs to be multiple games (if not the rest of the season, imo). Not sure who it was for Auburn, but she tried to get to Muhammad and prevent anything further, she just couldn't get there in time. It's unfortunate that we lost her for the rest of the game, but losing her is not why we lost that game. This team has been very disorganized in most games I've watched this year. There's no excuse to get the ball with 12.6 seconds to play close to the division line even and have a few open looks at the basket and not even shoot the ball. It's like they had no concept at all of what the game situation was. I am less than pleased about year 3 so far. I expected better. I expected improvement from year 1 to 2 and year 2 to 3. I haven't seen any at all. NONE. 29 turnovers in one game is abysmal.

I really don't fault muhammad in that situation. Obviously she could have handled it differently but at the same time, its human reaction to not back down when you are punched in the face. In the heat of the battle there aren't many that wouldn't try to retaliate. It's just human nature. It was a cowardly thing to do by the uat player. She literally threw the puinch and ran away. The SEC needs to hand down a serious punishment to #5 for uat. It needs to be multiple games (if not the rest of the season, imo). Not sure who it was for Auburn, but she tried to get to Muhammad and prevent anything further, she just couldn't get there in time. It's unfortunate that we lost her for the rest of the game, but losing her is not why we lost that game. This team has been very disorganized in most games I've watched this year. There's no excuse to get the ball with 12.6 seconds to play close to the division line even and have a few open looks at the basket and not even shoot the ball. It's like they had no concept at all of what the game situation was. I am less than pleased about year 3 so far. I expected better. I expected improvement from year 1 to 2 and year 2 to 3. I haven't seen any at all. NONE. 29 turnovers in one game is abysmal.

Just my perception perhaps but in that last possession it appeared that no one wanted the shot....ball passed in and back out a couple times if I recall correctly, when all one of the ladies needed to do was turn, drive and put up a shot to draw a foul....but they just passed it around and nobody seriously looked to score...and then the clock had run out with the ball 20 feet from the basket.

When I coached youth basketball they often looked this disorganized but there was never a reluctance to take a shot. Has Flo made them gun shy?

Looks like Flo has lost control over this team and season. I , too, was extremely pleased with her hire and thought by year 3 she would have us in the big dance, but to be 0-6 in the SEC is totally unacceptable.

Just curious, but is Coach Flo safe for another year? Or is this her final shot?

Don't know, but you don't get to keep your job when your performance is damaging the company. Her work this year is damaging Auburn and she should, just like any person in the real world, get fired if things don't drastically improve.

With all the excitement surrounding Bruce and the obvious potential for future success that he is generally believed to be bringing, Coach Flo and the ladies are in a position to really be left behind and not thought about which would be unfortunate. Hopefully she can turn this around and not be relegated to an afterthought.

I know this, if my most hated rival took a cheap shot at me, I would most certainly punch them in the face too. Never back down from them. Ever. Period. Glad our girl decked that Turd. She deserved that and more.

With all the excitement surrounding Bruce and the obvious potential for future success that he is generally believed to be bringing, Coach Flo and the ladies are in a position to really be left behind and not thought about which would be unfortunate. Hopefully she can turn this around and not be relegated to an afterthought.

Probably going to happen...when the men were so bad last season, fans turned to the ladies who were playing pretty well and we had some good crowds. Lady Tigers are gonna be back to +/-1000 sized crowds if things don't start looking better.

On HM - look at the action on the release of the free throw - the girls will tangled and it looked HM's arm was around the Alabama players neck and slinging her. So much so, the ref was already blowing his whistle and running in before the bama girl threw the first punch. Would have been a foul on HM, then bama took it to next level and then HM responded. Bama girl should not have thrown the punch, but it wasn't like HM was not playing tough and just standing there.

I have been a fan of the ladies' game for a few years and was glad to see them in NIT last year. This year is a regression from last year. I think Coach Flo gets one more year and we need serious improvement.

Was that Alabama's basketball arena or a repurposed munitions storage faciliy from the Cold War?

Edit: I just found out it was built by unemployed workers during the depression in 1939 and was the site of George Wallace's "schoolhouse stand." Turd awfulness FTW.

I know this, if my most hated rival took a cheap shot at me, I would most certainly punch them in the face too. Never back down from them. Ever. Period. Glad our girl decked that Turd. She deserved that and more.

Keeping your cool and not getting ejected is not backing down, it's being smarter than the rival. In this case we were were dumber. A pretty good argument can be made that Muhammad was worth more than the two more points that would have made us the winner instead of the loser. She took the bait, returned the punch and as a result we lost the game. I expect a senior to be smarter than that.

Keeping your cool and not getting ejected is not backing down, it's being smarter than the rival. In this case we were were dumber. A pretty good argument can be made that Muhammad was worth more than the two more points that would have made us the winner instead of the loser. She took the bait, returned the punch and as a result we lost the game. I expect a senior to be smarter than that.

Considering how the game ended with M in the game, our players would not have been tossing the ball around wondering who should try that final shot.....but that's life. Lack of poise which happens when a team is feeling the pressure.

"ISIS's Hasina Muhammad declared holy Jihaad on Alabama last night. Obama urges tolerance and understanding" - Al.com

I am not a BB expert but from what I have seen this team has clearly regressed. My wife and I drove down from Bham last year for a couple of games but I do not have much interest this year from what I have seen. They just don't appear well prepared. Tend to beat themselves with errors/turnovers. I would think that at this point the coach would have some players in place to run her "system".

Just my perception perhaps but in that last possession it appeared that no one wanted the shot....ball passed in and back out a couple times if I recall correctly, when all one of the ladies needed to do was turn, drive and put up a shot to draw a foul....but they just passed it around and nobody seriously looked to score...and then the clock had run out with the ball 20 feet from the basket.

When I coached youth basketball they often looked this disorganized but there was never a reluctance to take a shot. Has Flo made them gun shy?

I absolutely agree. It was very odd and something I've really never seen in a game before. Just the overall approach and the vibe I was getting from that possession was they didn't have even the slightest clue as to what the situation was. Very unprepared for sure.

We showed complete unawareness of the shot clock all night. A large number of our 29 turnovers were shot clock violations. There was no way we were going to get a shot off in those final 12 seconds. Had Muhammad been in the game she'd probably have taken the shot, but that's conjecture.

And all this is from Poor coaching. I think three years is enough. Too many BB coaches given way to long. Sloppy play poor ball handling and these are the best players we can get? We need Bruce to give her some pointers and make practice.

And all this is from Poor coaching. I think three years is enough. Too many BB coaches given way to long. Sloppy play poor ball handling and these are the best players we can get? We need Bruce to give her some pointers and make practice.

Just 3 years ago, Flo was consider a major catch for AU...came very well recommended and had a good record. Granted, she was at a smaller school in a smaller conference but coaching is coaching....and this team surely looks lost and has no floor leadership. So what has happened?

Just 3 years ago, Flo was consider a major catch for AU...came very well recommended and had a good record. Granted, she was at a smaller school in a smaller conference but coaching is coaching....and this team surely looks lost and has no floor leadership. So what has happened?

I think that's what's puzzling. We can all see our players aren't as talented, top to bottom, as some of the competition. However, that doesn't explain lob passes, careless ball handling, not running any plays and failure to even act like there is a shot clock. We are certainly more talented than UAT. So there's the question; What Happened???

I think it is the simple explanation ... Inept coaching. The multiple shot clock violations is an easy indicator. Heck have an assistant on the bench count down the last 8seconds or something. A dang backwards shot would be better than none. These kids have dealt with a shot clock since high school. That can't be an excuse this many times.

It looked like the coach was lost and the players followed her lead. I think she is simply out of her league on the bigger stage. She seemed like a great hire. She simply turned out not to be.

Archived