We're going to have a good class no matter what!

autigeremt

But the potential is there for a great class. A lot of programs out there wish they could say the same thing. Enjoy the drama.

This is what I am talking about!

I agree somewhat. If our biggest rivals and competitors for the SEC championship have better classes than us then that will be a problem. Should we finish as a consensus top ten in the recruiting rankings then we will have recruiting enough talent to compete. After that it is all on coaching. The only caveat to that is if that top 10 finish is due to us loading up on O skill players, which with this O is to be expected. To miss on OL and DL would be a bad thing. It is about filling needs with 4-5 star talent (with a few 3 stars with potential thrown in) at positions of need. This why Cowart is our most important recruit in this class.

wde

I agree somewhat. If our biggest rivals and competitors for the SEC championship have better classes than us then that will be a problem. Should we finish as a consensus top ten in the recruiting rankings then we will have recruiting enough talent to compete. After that it is all on coaching. The only caveat to that is if that top 10 finish is due to us loading up on O skill players, which with this O is to be expected. To miss on OL and DL would be a bad thing. It is about filling needs with 4-5 star talent (with a few 3 stars with potential thrown in) at positions of need. This why Cowart is our most important recruit in this class.

wde

Our rivals having better classes has never stopped us before.

wde

Explain. We were definitely stopped this year. We have two SEC titles in the past ten years. uga has owned us on the field since 2005, spuat has 3 BCS titles and three SEC championships to our 1 and 2 respectively along with winning at least 10 games a year since 2008.. It is important to have good classes and good coaching on both sides of the ball. Gus largely addressed our weakness on the coaching staff this off season.

wde

wde

Would be bad to miss on O and D lines. But not much chance of missing on O line in this class. Even without Ivey, this O line class is good.

wde

Would be bad to miss on O and D lines. But not much chance of missing on O line in this class. Even without Ivey, this O line class is good.

I agree.

wde

wde

Good point. Given the nature of of the process, you can argue that the relative potential of any given class in the top ten depends on coaching and intangibles rather than talent.

wde

Good point. Given the nature of of the process, you can argue that the relative potential of any given class in the top ten depends on coaching and intangibles rather than talent.

BOOM!

I LOVE the kids who are committed thus far. Anyone else who joins in is a great bonus! Thanks to the guys who have committed and have stayed firm in their commitments. That is quite unusual in the current recruiting process. Not that I don't want to flip anyone, but I don't want ours to flip ;)

If we were to "just" land Jeff Holland and Carlton Davis this would be good class, but we will get more than that. The buzz created on defense in the last month has been impressive. Can you imagine what this staff is going to do with a year to work on the next class ?

wde

Explain. We were definitely stopped this year. We have two SEC titles in the past ten years. uga has owned us on the field since 2005, spuat has 3 BCS titles and three SEC championships to our 1 and 2 respectively along with winning at least 10 games a year since 2008.. It is important to have good classes and good coaching on both sides of the ball. Gus largely addressed our weakness on the coaching staff this off season.

wde

I see what you're saying, and for the most part I agree, but you're stats are a bit wonky. The 2004 team won the SEC and had a very strong argument for a share* of the MNC. Then we won both again in 2010. Then in 2013 we won a third SEC title and came with 13 seconds of wining a third* national championship. That's three SEC titles, and as close as you can get to the three national championships without actually winning them. If the discussion is about championships over the last decade, there is almost no difference in what the turds accomplished and what we've accomplished.

WDE!

I LOVE the kids who are committed thus far. Anyone else who joins in is a great bonus! Thanks to the guys who have committed and have stayed firm in their commitments. That is quite unusual in the current recruiting process. Not that I don't want to flip anyone, but I don't want ours to flip ;)

Absolutely agree.

WDE!

It seems like with the increased emphasis on recruiting in the last decade or so, many have forgotten that it is nothing more than a piece of the puzzle, rather than an end-all-be-all. With good discipline, a solid coaching staff, and player development, any school that consistently recruits in the top 10, probably 15 is in the playoff mix.

wde

wde

I see what you're saying, and for the most part I agree, but you're stats are a bit wonky. The 2004 team won the SEC and had a very strong argument for a share* of the MNC. Then we won both again in 2010. Then in 2013 we won a third SEC title and came with 13 seconds of wining a third* national championship. That's three SEC titles, and as close as you can get to the three national championships without actually winning them. If the discussion is about championships over the last decade, there is almost no difference in what the turds accomplished and what we've accomplished.

WDE!

Yes there is. We SHOULD of been named at least co-champions in 2004, then when the NCAA retroactively stripped USC from their 2004 championship, we SHOULD of been named champions, BUT WE WEREN'T. We did win in 2010, but the 13 seconds from last season are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if we lost with 1 second left, or we lost 235-0. The simple fact is we lost.

We weren't champions in 04

We weren't champions in 13 (regardless of leading with 14 seconds left, we lost.)

Not to mention, we have finished with a losing record twice since 2008.

You really should take off the Orange and Blue glasses.

Back on topic, we will have a good class no matter what, but that will feel like a kick in the groin if we miss on some of the big fish, because with them, we have a great class.

wde

wde

WDE!

Yes there is. We SHOULD of been named at least co-champions in 2004, then when the NCAA retroactively stripped USC from their 2004 championship, we SHOULD of been named champions, BUT WE WEREN'T. We did win in 2010, but the 13 seconds from last season are irrelevant. It doesn't matter if we lost with 1 second left, or we lost 235-0. The simple fact is we lost.

We weren't champions in 13 (regardless of leading with 14 seconds left, we lost.)

Back on topic, we will have a good class no matter what, but that will feel like a kick in the groin if we miss on some of the big fish, because with them, we have a great class.

We already have a great class.

wde

wde

WDE!

That's pretty much exactly what I said. Seems to me the only points on which we disagree are the number of SEC title we've won in the last ten years and the overall quality of the class we have committed.

WDE!

There has been some articles on AL.com lately about where elite recruits are later in their career. It seems like more elite recruits don't turn out anywhere near the level of the star rating given at recruitment time. I also think I heard there were no 5 stars in Super Bowl, or very few. My point is we need to trust our coaches when they go after some of these lower rated players, and also trust they are able to coach them to a high level of play in college. I think the coaching puzzle is now complete and they will get the most out of the talent we are getting in this "great class" that isn't even done yet!!! So let's relax and enjoy the next few years of championship football at AU baby!! All that said I still love to see the 5*s sign with the good guys.

There has been some articles on AL.com lately about where elite recruits are later in their career. It seems like more elite recruits don't turn out anywhere near the level of the star rating given at recruitment time. I also think I heard there were no 5 stars in Super Bowl, or very few.

The CFB playoffs are a more important measurement, and 3 of the 4 teams who participated had rosters comprised of 50% or better 4* and 5* players. Oregon was the odd team out, but they were at just below 50%. Elite recruits do matter. But...

My point is we need to trust our coaches when they go after some of these lower rated players, and also trust they are able to coach them to a high level of play in college.

I completely agree with that.

This class is outstanding, no doubt, but the 2 biggest issues we have on defense are no push upfront and we could not cover anyone. Corners and Defensive line (DEs and DLs) are of the utmost importance to Auburn at this point. Muschamp is great and will mold the players we have into a solid unit but he needs the game changes. That is why players like Carlton and Cowart are so very important.

If we get 10 to 15 impact players from the 25 or so signees we will have signed a good class.

wde

wde

WDE!

That's pretty much exactly what I said. Seems to me the only points on which we disagree are the number of SEC title we've won in the last ten years and the overall quality of the class we have committed.

WDE!

SEC titles over the last 10 aren't up for debate. There have been SEC Championship games for more than 10 years. Whoever won those is the SEC Champion.

My disagreement was more about the statement that we are up there with Bama over MNCs. We just arent. We have played in 2 of the last 50 or so. They have won 3 in the last 10. Now I know that a lot of their championships are bogus. Without a doubt they would of claimed 2004 and 1993.

The overall class is looking good. It will be elite if we can pull the big fish left on our board. But we are top 15 so thats ok... I guess...

wde

wde

WDE!

WDE!

SEC titles over the last 10 aren't up for debate. There have been SEC Championship games for more than 10 years. Whoever won those is the SEC Champion.

My disagreement was more about the statement that we are up there with Bama over MNCs. We just arent. We have played in 2 of the last 50 or so. They have won 3 in the last 10. Now I know that a lot of their championships are bogus. Without a doubt they would of claimed 2004 and 1993.

The overall class is looking good. It will be elite if we can pull the big fish left on our board. But we are top 15 so thats ok... I guess...

I know SEC title aren't up for debate. I'm correcting your stats. Sincerely, I'm not trying to be a D about it, but it's one of the cruces of your argument, and it's incorrect.

My issue concerning national championships is as follows: I believe very strongly that a team that won one outright, should have a share of another, and came oh-so-close to a third isn't all that far off of the team that won three, especially when in one of those years the the latter team didn't even win the division. (It's a significant note because we lost a popularity contest and missed the big game; they won a popularity contest and got a second chance against a then divided team starting their backup QB.)

Let me phrase it another way: If we're tallying these accomplishments and judging them as bodies of work, we are right on their heels and likely closer than anybody in the country. I suppose UF, and maybe Oregon and LSU are bunched up there too. That's rare company.

And I'm not disagreeing with the overall point you're trying to make about recruiting classes, coaching and results. For the most part I'm just trying to help you tighten up your argument.

Regarding the current class. Absolutely. Adding a few guys on NSD will take this class from great to elite. But if we go 0-for-7, I'll be more embarrassed than worried about our future.

WDE!

Love the optimism. With McGriff's decommit/qualifying issues, we NEED 3 receivers while only having one likely in Slayton. We NEED 2-3 DEs while biting nails over the decisions of Cowart et al, after plan B Arden's news. Terrific signings across the board & filling needs is what makes great classes. We could ultimately be top 5 if our wish list is met. If not, we could be star top heavy in some areas and not filling urgent needs in others. That UCLA article posted here a few weeks ago showed our average recruiting classes and final poll spots over the last decade both around13. Without some hopes swinging our way, most not tomorrow, a 13th ranked class (5th or 6th in the SEC) is likely. Come on down Cowart, Ivey, Godwin, Holland, Beckner & anybody named Davis!

fwiw, IMO UF is poised to make the biggest pre-signing week jump up the rankings in recent memory.

Archived