Players leaving

bmartin3228

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason Roc didn't play as much this year was due to being banged up, wasn't it?

I thought, when healthy, the coaches had him out there

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLoofus, I had the same reaction. It's not a close comparison. For one, we were much better in 2003 than we were this year. I'm in my 30s, and this is one of 7 teams to win six games or less in my life. Jason had his struggles in 2003, but it was only against the best competition. Against everyone else, he was lights out. The leap he made from Year 4 to 5 was in raising his game against elite teams. Jeremy is a great kid (and I love the attitude), but he has to improve in every phase of the game as a QB.

Roc has been healthy the last few weeks. I thought it was odd that he didn't find his way back on the field.

McLoofus, I had the same reaction. It's not a close comparison. For one, we were much better in 2003 than we were this year. I'm in my 30s, and this is one of 7 teams to win six games or less in my life. Jason had his struggles in 2003, but it was only against the best competition. Against everyone else, he was lights out. The leap he made from Year 4 to 5 was in raising his game against elite teams. Jeremy is a great kid (and I love the attitude), but he has to improve in every phase of the game as a QB.

Roc has been healthy the last few weeks. I thought it was odd that he didn't find his way back on the field.

i wanted to see him more too. Part of the problem was third down, not keeping the offense on the field enough. The opportunity was limited. But roc is more talented than barber. I would have preferred roc/jovon more.

The difference between Campbell and Johnson is Campbell had a lot more playing experience before his senior year, and was redshirted. Johnson has very little experience going into next year. That was the one thing I was worried about when white took over. He was losing a lot of valuable playing time if white didn't pan out.

This^^ and the fact that Campbell had Coach Borges come in for his senior year and Borges is very good at developing QBs into more than capable QBs. I am not convinced yet that Coach Malzahn and Coach Lashlee are developing the QBs. Throwing techniques and ability to read a defense are seriously lacking in Johnson and somewhat in White although I don't think we have seen enough of him to determine this yet.

The difference between Campbell and Johnson is Campbell had a lot more playing experience before his senior year, and was redshirted. Johnson has very little experience going into next year. That was the one thing I was worried about when white took over. He was losing a lot of valuable playing time if white didn't pan out.

Campbell was a talented and naturally poised qb he just needed an offensive system to produce. Jj is talented but not instinctive at all. I think he is lights out with a practice, no contact jersey. He is just not a play maker. I hate it because he is a superb human being. I doubt any amount of experience would help. He actually had two starts and extensive pt in a couple other games. He wasn't totally green to begin the season.

And he was far, far worse than Jason Campbell ever was. I'm sorry to pile on, I guess I'm just defending JC more than anything.

Jason was a victim of the Nallsminger experiment.

While Roc may be more talented than Barber, Roc tended to leave the ball on the ground too often. This season would have been a complete meltdown without PB early in the season. In the JSU & SJSU games, he took the team on his back and carried us to a W. Lack of ball security gets an RB in the doghouse and he has to work his way out. I hope Roc sticks around for next year. I feel like it could be one of those magical years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason Roc didn't play as much this year was due to being banged up, wasn't it?

I thought, when healthy, the coaches had him out there

You're not wrong for part of the season. The issue was, by the time he got healthy, the coaches were sold out to the power run game, which isn't his strength (obviously, since he got hurt every game he tried to be a power runner). He was relegated to sharing carries with several others who could run speed sweeps and the like, and didn't have the extra advantage of being a receiver (from a deception standpoint... he has good hands) so he didn't see much of the field.

I have no idea and it's too early to say...but I think they all stay. The defense showed improvement and players like Casanova McKenzie can be used as a poster child for what happens when a really good defensive staff puts you in the right place to make plays and help you earn a shot on draft day.

If I were to cast my possibilities it would be Avery Young (I think he needs another year) and JJ after spring camp. Oh, and Roc because of the JSU connection and his desires to be the man.

This Roc Thomas stuff just blind-sided me. He's a great athlete and as Stat pointed, up there with our leaders in explosive plays. I get why he's upset, but he's just going to leave? Just like that?

This Roc Thomas stuff just blind-sided me. He's a great athlete and as Stat pointed, up there with our leaders in explosive plays. I get why he's upset, but he's just going to leave? Just like that?

Roc should have been running the speed sweeps vs. Ricardo.

Can't believe he didn't get touches on the sweeps since he is faster and more of a natural running back and when he is healthy one of our most explosive players. I can't blame him one bit for being pissed after the IB.

Can't believe he didn't get touches on the sweeps since he is faster and more of a natural running back and when he is healthy one of our most explosive players. I can't blame him one bit for being pissed after the IB.

Like Maverick, i saw a lot of potential with Roc in the passing game. Any time in open space, he is a home run threat really.

Like Maverick, i saw a lot of potential with Roc in the passing game. Any time in open space, he is a home run threat really.

I can't either; it's like Gus has no idea how to handle good backs all the sudden. I hope he stays and maybe Gus can actively search for ways to put him on the field...

Sorry, are there any links to the 'Roc is leaving' story? Not doubting, just would like to read more, if it's available.

I think there might be links to rumors. Would that help?

Sorry, are there any links to the 'Roc is leaving' story? Not doubting, just would like to read more, if it's available.

Links are you crazy need to wait till Xmas for that

What you said... Ricardo is fast, but he corners like a 63 Oldsmobile, I often wondered why the coaches could not see that the guy does not know how to plant his foot in the ground and make a cut.

Think he's mentioned a couple times on Snapchat that he was planning on leaving.

I think there might be links to rumors. Would that help?

Yes, please.

Think he's mentioned a couple times on Snapchat that he was planning on leaving.

I recall that from a while back. But that was, well, a while back. Anything recent?

What you said... Ricardo is fast, but he corners like a 63 Oldsmobile, I often wondered why the coaches could not see that the guy does not know how to plant his foot in the ground and make a cut.

yes he needs a clear opening. If you line roc up wide they will key on the sweep to the opposite side. You must have him run routs and catch passes for him to be used extensively on jet sweeps. Same with Jonathan Wallace he was used as a blocking wr and never got a pass that I remember. We didn't set up the offense very well.

Right. This whole thread has been a crapshoot with posters taking a wild guess at which players will leave. Only person that has provided any kind of knowledge was Maverick when he echoed that Ryan Black thinks it would be logical for Roc to go to JSU should he decide to transfer. Ive had that hunch for awhile as well and that was what brought that up.

Archived