Players leaving

bmartin3228

one of the jobs of a good QB is to move the chains. Sometimes, that means you gotta take one for the team. I didn't see this from JJ at all this season.

90% of college and pro coaches, if not more, tell their quarterback the exact opposite thing.

I'm not advocating JJ taking the "Cam Newton Trucks a LB" approach, but just fall forward instead of crumpling up like a Japanese sedan in a frontal collision. Falling forward, JJ would have gotten at least 3-4 more first downs for us this season, and maybe that could have been the difference in the game.

I guess I can't really argue. You very well may be right. I just hate calling out the man's courage.

Same here. That's why I said maybe scared wasn't the best word. I truly believe JJ to be an Auburn Man. I also believe he has all the tools and athleticism it takes to be a great QB. I think he was just not "coached up" properly, which is not his fault. Couple this with the contact issue, and he was set up to fail from the beginning. I guess I am most disappointed with our coaching staff, who spent the entire Spring/Summer/Fall talking about how JJ was going to set the conference on fire, and that JJ would have started on almost all of the other SEC teams last year, but chose to wait his turn at Auburn. Coach-speak is one thing, but this just didn't set well with me. I know they weren't going to trash the guy, but when our coaches help fuel the fire of expectations, then we come out and look completely lost on offense from day 1, and have no back up plan in place, it just becomes frustrating.

We all were taking jabs at bammer and Coker at the beginning of the year, yet Coker now has bammer in another SECCG.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't forget all of the wr running routes 1 yard short of the marker....happened two or three times bammer game. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen at least once every game

one of the jobs of a good QB is to move the chains. Sometimes, that means you gotta take one for the team. I didn't see this from JJ at all this season.

90% of college and pro coaches, if not more, tell their quarterback the exact opposite thing.

I'm not advocating JJ taking the "Cam Newton Trucks a LB" approach, but just fall forward instead of crumpling up like a Japanese sedan in a frontal collision. Falling forward, JJ would have gotten at least 3-4 more first downs for us this season, and maybe that could have been the difference in the game.

I guess I can't really argue. You very well may be right. I just hate calling out the man's courage.

Same here. That's why I said maybe scared wasn't the best word. I truly believe JJ to be an Auburn Man. I also believe he has all the tools and athleticism it takes to be a great QB. I think he was just not "coached up" properly, which is not his fault. Couple this with the contact issue, and he was set up to fail from the beginning. I guess I am most disappointed with our coaching staff, who spent the entire Spring/Summer/Fall talking about how JJ was going to set the conference on fire, and that JJ would have started on almost all of the other SEC teams last year, but chose to wait his turn at Auburn. Coach-speak is one thing, but this just didn't set well with me. I know they weren't going to trash the guy, but when our coaches help fuel the fire of expectations, then we come out and look completely lost on offense from day 1, and have no back up plan in place, it just becomes frustrating.

We all were taking jabs at bammer and Coker at the beginning of the year, yet Coker now has bammer in another SECCG.

I'd give Coker credit for two maybe three wins

Can't forget all of the wr running routes 1 yard short of the marker....happened two or three times bammer game. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen at least once every game

That. Freaking. Killed me.

Amen.....two were on consecutive series if I remember correctly...and wide open...and this from 3rd year player. But there he was again later in the game....and dropping a couple critical passes. He's a good guy I expect, but I just wonder why he was still playing after a couple serious fundamental mistakes earlier in the game.

A RB fumbles the ball and he's likely on the bench for the rest of the game....but WRs making mistakes all over the place and nothing happens. :dunno:

Amen.....two were on consecutive series if I remember correctly...and wide open...and this from 3rd year player. But there he was again later in the game....and dropping a couple critical passes. He's a good guy I expect, but I just wonder why he was still playing after a couple serious fundamental mistakes earlier in the game.

A RB fumbles the ball and he's likely on the bench for the rest of the game....but WRs making mistakes all over the place and nothing happens. :dunno:/>

We have zilch WR depth so how are we going to take out the WR's?! RB is helluva a lot different of a story.

Because blocking is more important than being a good receiver to this staff. Smith should have had so many more snaps, of course, when you have numerous slot receivers on your roster and never run routes that help slot receivers, watch New England, I guess why would you. Bubble screen 2 receivers blocking or run straight down the field. Never see dragging across the middle, quick hitting slants to slow LB's, etc. When you don't evolve your offense, it makes it easier for defenses to shut it down. If as fans we can guess 3 out of 4 plays by formation, just think how easy it is for guys being paid millions to do it.

A RB fumbles the ball and he's likely on the bench for the rest of the game....but WRs making mistakes all over the place and nothing happens. :dunno:/>

We have zilch WR depth so how are we going to take out the WR's?! RB is helluva a lot different of a story.

You are probably correct....which might be one reason we get the WR performance we have now.....just saying that somewhere along the line there s should be a penalty to pay. We have something like 14 WRs on the roster and about 5 of them see playing time on offense. Maybe 4 or 5 are over 6'-0 or weigh over 200 pounds......that's bad recruiting.....and /or bad player development.

But the blocking wasn't that great either imo...getting those third downs would help everybody out as well. Help the defense get rest, o line get a groove, hb's and qb get rhythm, and qb gain some confidence. Also bammer defense lose theirs as far as thinking they are dominant. Like au64 said they were wide open

If I was Lawson I would go pro. I hate it for us but if he comes back he is really taking a big chance. If he comes back and gets hurt again his NFL chances are not good. I guess if his evaluation say's 4th or 5th round it might be a tough call.

But the blocking wasn't that great either imo...getting those third downs would help everybody out as well. Help the defense get rest, o line get a groove, hb's and qb get rhythm, and qb gain some confidence. Also bammer defense lose theirs as far as thinking they are dominant. Like au64 said they were wide open

The blocking was a nightmare for the first half of the season. It got better, but it was still nowhere near what it was in our best years. T-Zac, Kodi, Trovon, Sammie, Quan... those guys had a lot to do with our success in the perimeter run game. Haven't had it since '13, but we had the OL, QB and pass catching ability to make up for it last year.

I agree 100% and I'll admit I had written t Zach off because it took him a while and he turned out to be soooo good. He's actually one of the first players I think about when I don't just give up on a guy so quickly now

I agree 100% and I'll admit I had written t Zach off because it took him a while and he turned out to be soooo good. He's actually one of the first players I think about when I don't just give up on a guy so quickly now

That's good food for thought.

If all of this NFL talent is only getting us 8-5 and 7-6 at best, what does this say about our coaches? What does this say about next year?

If all of this NFL talent is only getting us 8-5 and 7-6 at best, what does this say about our coaches? What does this say about next year?

JMO but we have pretty modest NFL talent at the moment....about in line with the performance of the team. There is talk about this player or that leaving for the NFL ...but as for guys with realistic chance of sticking in the NFL....that's a different story....and fewer players.

Certainly no surprise. An outstanding Auburn man but I already had him penciled in to move on. I'm sure many of you also have a pretty good list of who you expect to leave (one way or another). So it's really important for Seniors and others who are won't be back to have a good Bowl experience and leave with a big win.

Certainly no surprise. An outstanding Auburn man but I already had him penciled in to move on. I'm sure many of you also have a pretty good list of who you expect to leave (one way or another). So it's really important for Seniors and others who are won't be back to have a good Bowl experience and leave with a big win.

Just curious, why did you have him penciled in to move on? Just a good player that you didn't see getting on the field for us? Hate to lose quality depth, but I agree with you, just got to wish a good guy the best and respect his decision to do what's best for him.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I expect Jeremy Johnson will stay at least through Spring since he's allegedly on track to graduate in May.

Looks like every team in the country wants to hire our coaches away. That probably means we win 10+ next year.

Archived