Players leaving

bmartin3228

That'd be great for Coleman if he's a first round pick this year. However, for AU having to break in a new LT with a QB who will have had 4 games or less experience will be tough.

Hopefully that will be somewhat mitigated by recruits- Calvin Ashley, in particular- noticing our coach and his offense producing a 2nd consecutive 1st rounder at LT.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller places Shon Coleman at #23 to the NY Jets in his new mock draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2596163-2015-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-updated-projections/page/24

Love him being on the cusp of such success.

It really is an awesome story.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller places Shon Coleman at #23 to the NY Jets in his new mock draft:

http://bleacherrepor...ections/page/24

Love him being on the cusp of such success.

It really is an awesome story.

Hopefully one that will be repeated with Tashawn Manning

I think the whole Shon Coleman story could be a huge help to recruiting. A lot of schools would have said tough break after the cancer diagnosis but we stuck with him and it's paid off for everyone. Hopefully the recruit we just had diagnosed will have a similar path as Shon.

A lot of schools would have said tough break after the cancer diagnosis

No, they absolutely wouldn't have. Shon was placed on medical scholarship after his diagnosis, which means that he wasn't even taking up a football scholarship until he actually officially rejoined the team. There is no penalty for putting a player on medical scholarship, in fact a large part of the Bama "processing" story involves them supposedly exaggerating injury issues so that they can place failing players on medical scholarship in order to take back the actual football scholarship.

Its a great story, but don't be naive in thinking that we did anything "special" here. There isn't a school in the country that would tell a kid with cancer "tough break".

I do think there are a lot of schools that wouldn't have cleared him after multiple years. It was a real gamble for us to take him off medical hardship and give him a scholarship without any guarantee that he'd be able to regain the weight and timing needed to play the position. Seeing Shon on the field was never just a matter of time. Auburn shouldered the risk, not by giving him a scholarship at the start but by giving him a countable scholarship after chemo.

And, no, I don't think every school would've done that.

http://bleacherrepor...ections/page/24

That's great news!

Coaches rankings for 1st and 2nd team ALL SEC came out today. We had 1 player make 1st team ALL SEC (Daniel Carlson) and 1 player make 2nd team ALL SEC (Coleman.) So glad to see Shon do well.

A lot of schools would have said tough break after the cancer diagnosis

No, they absolutely wouldn't have. Shon was placed on medical scholarship after his diagnosis, which means that he wasn't even taking up a football scholarship until he actually officially rejoined the team. There is no penalty for putting a player on medical scholarship, in fact a large part of the Bama "processing" story involves them supposedly exaggerating injury issues so that they can place failing players on medical scholarship in order to take back the actual football scholarship.

Its a great story, but don't be naive in thinking that we did anything "special" here. There isn't a school in the country that would tell a kid with cancer "tough break".

Chizik said he would go to auburn and graduate even if he never played football and he would pay for it himself if needed. while most other schools would have done the same chizik would have burned a scholly if he had to.

I think that Coleman is much like Lawson in regard to being Auburn Men. I think they will stay. I do think that Cowart will stay as well. Avery will leave. Let's start a contest of sorts to see who will stay or go. Not sure on Monty though.

I think that Coleman is much like Lawson in regard to being Auburn Men. I think they will stay. I do think that Cowart will stay as well. Avery will leave. Let's start a contest of sorts to see who will stay or go. Not sure on Monty though.

If they're projected in the early rounds, they should go. Of course I won't want them to, but sometimes you have to follow the money.

I believe Coleman has graduated and is working on a Master's.

He'd be crazy to stay if he is projected in the first two rounds.

Barber carried this team for the first half of the season and was definitely the MVP of the offense. That being said I think Roc may have the most shear talent of any back we have. He reminds me of a Cadillac type back to Jovon's Ronnie B bruiser back. If he added 10-20lbs during the off season he could be a playmaker.

I like the Jovon/Ronnie comparison much better than the Roc/Cadillac one. The game was never too big for Cadillac. Furthermore, he was an emotional leader and complete back. I just don't see those qualities from Roc yet.

Fantastic ball carrier in space. Even started playing more physically this year. Started the season listed at RB1. But a coach who's coached a lot of very good running backs and who was desperate for answers went another direction more often than not. Occam's Razor tells us that Roc was not as dependable as the other guys this season. Simple as that.

Edit: I do realize that Roc is young and maybe just hasn't had a chance yet to really flourish in a leadership role. But that certainly hasn't hampered true FR Kerryon Johnson.

Occam's Razor! Love it!

Barber carried this team for the first half of the season and was definitely the MVP of the offense. That being said I think Roc may have the most

shear talent of any back we have. He reminds me of a Cadillac type back to Jovon's Ronnie B bruiser back. If he added 10-20lbs during the off

season he could be a playmaker.

I like the Jovon/Ronnie comparison much better than the Roc/Cadillac one. The game was never too big for Cadillac. Furthermore, he was an

emotional leader and complete back. I just don't see those qualities from Roc yet.

Fantastic ball carrier in space. Even started playing more physically this

year. Started the season listed at RB1. But a coach who's coached a lot of very good running backs and who was desperate for answers went another direction more often than not. Occam's Razor tells us that Roc was

not as dependable as the other guys this season. Simple as that.

Edit: I do realize that Roc is young and maybe just hasn't had a chance yet to really flourish in a leadership role. But that certainly hasn't hampered true FR Kerryon Johnson

Occam's Razor! Love it!

Hell of a coach and pretty good player in his day.

Don't see him going too early maybe late 2 or early 3. In any event I think he goes and should. Lots can happen in a year.

would be surprised if he is not a first rounder, the improvement each year is astounding, especially when considering his battle with cancer and having to not play the game for basically 3 years and face SEC competition where every D-End is going to the NFL

Barber carried this team for the first half of the season and was definitely the MVP of the offense. That being said I think Roc may have the most

shear talent of any back we have. He reminds me of a Cadillac type back to Jovon's Ronnie B bruiser back. If he added 10-20lbs during the off

season he could be a playmaker.

I like the Jovon/Ronnie comparison much better than the Roc/Cadillac one. The game was never too big for Cadillac. Furthermore, he was an

emotional leader and complete back. I just don't see those qualities from Roc yet.

Fantastic ball carrier in space. Even started playing more physically this

year. Started the season listed at RB1. But a coach who's coached a lot of very good running backs and who was desperate for answers went another direction more often than not. Occam's Razor tells us that Roc was

not as dependable as the other guys this season. Simple as that.

Edit: I do realize that Roc is young and maybe just hasn't had a chance yet to really flourish in a leadership role. But that certainly hasn't hampered true FR Kerryon Johnson

Occam's Razor! Love it!

Hell of a coach and pretty good player in his day.

Occam and Spikes - - best combo ever!

Posted by Roc around 7 pm

@xRoct9: I can't even post on ig.. I gotta delete it 30 mins later. oh how we love to assume

Good to hear. He is our second best RB IMO.

In regards to Cowart it would be no benefit to him to transfer. He already said he would leave after 3 years and had each school plan for it academically. He played a good bit as a freshman at a D 1 school. He won't choose to sit out a year anywhere if he transferred which means he would have to lower divisions. So might as well stay.

@xRoct9: I can't even post on ig.. I gotta delete it 30 mins later. oh how we love to assume

I think Roc starts the spring off as the 4th string RB unless somebody gets hurt. He may be #2 or #3 in potential, but he's clearly #4 in terms of what he's contributed on the field. Barber, Robinson, Johnson all did more for the team this season.

I think Roc starts the spring off as the 4th string RB unless somebody gets hurt. He may be #2 or #3 in potential, but he's clearly #4 in terms of what he's contributed on the field. Barber, Robinson, Johnson all did more for the team this season.

Move him to slot.

Move him to slot.

Slot is probably where he has the best chance to succeed. He doesn't seem able to take the licks at RB without getting injured.

Archived