Players leaving

bmartin3228

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No not the same guy who everybody said was a bust because of the Texas a&m game last year....it was a joke to think he'd play in the NFL...

I'm reading this thread and looking at our anticipated 2016 O line signing class. uh oh.

Difficult days ahead?

The cupboard is pretty stocked, actually. And the interior of our line is in pretty good shape, even with Danzey leaving. Smith, Golson and Kozan will be fine if they stay healthy.

If that Horton kid is as good as they said, he'll probably have some growing pains but he should be good. Last linemen I heard them brag about like that was Greg Robinson

And that kid from Texas is pretty good

Leff, Adams, Kim, Sharp, Mix, Harrell... they're not all Shon Colemans, but it's not a position of need in this cycle. And if we hold onto Calvin Ashley in '17, word is he might be good enough to start as a true FR.

Leff, Adams, Kim, Sharp, Mix, Harrell... they're not all Shon Colemans, but it's not a position of need in this cycle. And if we hold onto Calvin Ashley in '17, word is he might be good enough to start as a true FR.

Yep, from what I hear this kid is a beast.

CA is very good

The more kids we can put in the NFL the better our recruiting will go. LSU and Bama are having 4-5 kids drafted ever year. I was watching the cardinal Bengal game the other night and LSU had at least 4 starters play. If we have kids that will get drafted 1-3 rounds then more power to them.

I hope Shon stays for his senior season. I think this would be the best for him in many ways.

Another year at Auburn so that his health can improve to the point he can stay healthy for the long term. I am not sure that he has totally got his health to the point to deal with the rigors that he will face in the NFL from day one.

If his doctors think he is healthy enough to go pro, then I wish the absolute best for Shon and hope he makes us proud. He has been such a blessing to watch and grow into a very good OL. His positive attitude is one that we all should follow.

I think it would be crazy for Roc to leave. Maybe he should be given a shot at DB or WR. The kid has so much potential that I feel has yet to be tapped. I hope Gus will do whatever is necessary to take care of Roc and put him in the position to excel on the football field and not throw him in here and there. Gus should rotate Jovon, Peyton, and Roc into the rotation so that each back can have at least 10-15 or more Carries per game.

Note this article on JJ6 ... we'll see ...

Despite the rocky 2015 season, Carver Montgomery High School coach Billy Gresham doesn't expect his former quarterback to seek a quick exit from the program.

The two talked after the game Saturday and as of now Gresham believes Johnson will go into the New Year an Auburn Tiger.

"He's willing to fight," Gresham said. "He wants to see how it plays out in the spring and go from there. "

"He's invested so much of his time into Auburn," Gresham said. "He waited a long time for his opportunity while other guys might have transferred. He loves his coaches and loves his teammates."

Johnson will also earn his degree at the school in May.

"He's an Auburn guy," Gresham said. "He's going to get that degree and that's something he and his family are really proud of."

"He feels it's still his job going into the offseason, but he has to gain their trust and I think he knows it's going to take all the way until that first game (next year)," Gresham said. "It won't be an overnight turnaround."

"He has a bright spirit," Gresham said. "He's not mad or upset. He understands he needs to play better. He's going to go reflect on what happened, going to evaluate himself, see where he needs to get better and be a better leader."

http://www.ledger-en...le47120735.html

great attitude to have.

I agree, great attitude. Step one: JJ needs to go full contact from now until next Fall. He is scared of contact, and that will never work in his role as a QB for Gus. Too many times he ran out of bounds, of just fell down, when lowering his shoulder and getting 1-2 more yards was the difference in a 1st down and a punt. I'd almost say put him in the shotgun with only the center on offensive line, and let the defense tee off on him. Do this until he isn't scared of contact. He has the arm. He has the size. He has some of the speed. If he can't get over the fear of contact, he needs to go to another program where he can be a pocket QB. I love that he is an Auburn Man, but we can't continue to play inferior talent just because they waited their turn. You play the best man for the job, or you will be looking for a new job sooner, rather than later.

CA is very good

What is that on "decent" scale?

Despite the rocky 2015 season, Carver Montgomery High School coach Billy Gresham doesn't expect his former quarterback to seek a quick exit from the program.

The two talked after the game Saturday and as of now Gresham believes Johnson will go into the New Year an Auburn Tiger.

"He's willing to fight," Gresham said. "He wants to see how it plays out in the spring and go from there. "

"He's invested so much of his time into Auburn," Gresham said. "He waited a long time for his opportunity while other guys might have transferred. He loves his coaches and loves his teammates."

"He's an Auburn guy," Gresham said. "He's going to get that degree and that's something he and his family are really proud of."

"He feels it's still his job going into the offseason, but he has to gain their trust and I think he knows it's going to take all the way until that first game (next year)," Gresham said. "It won't be an overnight turnaround."

"He has a bright spirit," Gresham said. "He's not mad or upset. He understands he needs to play better. He's going to go reflect on what happened, going to evaluate himself, see where he needs to get better and be a better leader."

great attitude to have.

I agree, great attitude. Step one: JJ needs to go full contact from now until next Fall. He is scared of contact, and that will never work in his role as a QB for Gus. Too many times he ran out of bounds, of just fell down, when lowering his shoulder and getting 1-2 more yards was the difference in a 1st down and a punt. I'd almost say put him in the shotgun with only the center on offensive line, and let the defense tee off on him. Do this until he isn't scared of contact. He has the arm. He has the size. He has some of the speed. If he can't get over the fear of contact, he needs to go to another program where he can be a pocket QB. I love that he is an Auburn Man, but we can't continue to play inferior talent just because they waited their turn. You play the best man for the job, or you will be looking for a new job sooner, rather than later.

I think you're speaking in hyperbole but just in case....I'd be PISSED if I was JJ's parents lolol

The difference between Campbell and Johnson is Campbell had a lot more playing experience before his senior year, and was redshirted. Johnson has very little experience going into next year. That was the one thing I was worried about when white took over. He was losing a lot of valuable playing time if white didn't pan out.

Campbell had Cadillac and Ronnie Brown topped with way better wrs.

great attitude to have.

i don't think he is actually scared. but the inside uncontrolled reaction of being live takes over. not a coward but his natural instincts to avoid pain. hell i couldnt do it either. but not running out of bounds that i am talking about. it is being poised in the pocket, not rushing the throw or tackling yourself or flinging it to a LB because of pressure. running out of bounds is smart. i don't think it is coachable.

Being skittish in the pocket isn't necessarily a sign of being overly concerned about contact and any resultant injury. Dude just might not have the confidence that he can make a play while giant bodies are flying around in close proximity to him. In fact, several of his interceptions looked like maybe he was trying too hard to make a play.

I've shared plenty of criticisms of JJ this season, but I saw no evidence that he's any more scared of pain than anybody else.

It's always disappointing when fans assume the worst about the players they claim to support.

I agree with the scared, don't show leadership stuff. I was taught as a db that a qb has a two mental clocks that works simultaneously. One if the clock they have in needing to get the ball out. Second is the one where Windows will be open to make certain passes. It's very hard to do. Legs buy you time on both clocks. The better the qb is at using them the less risks you take as a db. The guys that are great at it you're pretty much screwed. You're going to play the entire game looking inept as you wait for one or two mistakes to capitalize and when you get them if you let it slip away you're so hurt....so imo using that analogy I think JJ clocks are in two different time zones or something. Don't know if he can fix them or not to be honest. I do think he needs another environment though

Being skittish in the pocket isn't necessarily a sign of being overly concerned about contact and any resultant injury. Dude just might not have the confidence that he can make a play while giant bodies are flying around in close proximity to him. In fact, several of his interceptions looked like maybe he was trying too hard to make a play.

I've shared plenty of criticisms of JJ this season, but I saw no evidence that he's any more scared of pain than anybody else.

It's always disappointing when fans assume the worst about the players they claim to support.

this

Maybe "scared" is too harsh. Maybe not. All I know is that every time he left the pocket and didn't have a clear path to the endzone, he was hesitant, he was running straight up, and looked to avoid contact/get out of bounds the quickest way possible, even though it meant that we didn't get the first down and had to punt. Many of these runs could have gotten us the 1st down, but would have resulted in JJ taking a hit. He chose the sidelines instead of the hit. Can't say I blame him, but one of the jobs of a good QB is to move the chains. Sometimes, that means you gotta take one for the team. I didn't see this from JJ at all this season.

one of the jobs of a good QB is to move the chains. Sometimes, that means you gotta take one for the team. I didn't see this from JJ at all this season.

90% of college and pro coaches, if not more, tell their quarterback the exact opposite thing.

one of the jobs of a good QB is to move the chains. Sometimes, that means you gotta take one for the team. I didn't see this from JJ at all this season.

90% of college and pro coaches, if not more, tell their quarterback the exact opposite thing.

No they tell their QBs to be smart about their hits they receive. They do NOT tell their QBs to assume the fetal position whenever pressure is bearing down on every third down play.

^ lol...yeah there were more than a couple times where if JJ just keeps running forward and take some contact he gets the first. But instead he either chooses to slide/crumble to the ground or start going east/west and get stopped short...he's going to get hit anyways so he might as well just get the first down in the process.

I'm not advocating JJ taking the "Cam Newton Trucks a LB" approach, but just fall forward instead of crumpling up like a Japanese sedan in a frontal collision. Falling forward, JJ would have gotten at least 3-4 more first downs for us this season, and maybe that could have been the difference in the game.

I'm not advocating JJ taking the "Cam Newton Trucks a LB" approach, but just fall forward instead of crumpling up like a Japanese sedan in a frontal collision. Falling forward, JJ would have gotten at least 3-4 more first downs for us this season, and maybe that could have been the difference in the game.

I guess I can't really argue. You very well may be right. I just hate calling out the man's courage.

Archived