Interesting read: Kyle Allen on Sumlin/TAMU

Tiger

Nice to see something in black and white that confirms what I've been saying. Sumlin lets his star players do whatever they want and covers for them, so he can win,and it's killed his program.

maybe chiz and sumlin can get together and write a Harvard business case study.

Can't even compare the two. Chiz lost the team primarily because of a designer drug that he could legally do nothing about. Sumlin just doesn't care what his star players do as long as they produce on the field.

Can't even compare the two. Chiz lost the team primarily because of a designer drug that he could legally do nothing about. Sumlin just doesn't care what his star players do as long as they produce on the field.

it was deeper than that.

it was deeper than that.

It always is, but that was a huge catalyst. The coaches knew there was a huge problem, but they couldn't kick anyone off the team for it, because it wasn't a banned substance, so all they could do was try to educate... it took their attention away from other things and caused a huge mess.

Yes, there was also meddling from outside sources, discontent from Gus because he wasn't allowed to play his offence the way he wanted to, and issues with the compliance office being overly cautious, but losing the team had a lot to do with the core group of players who spent all of their time burning their brains out with spice.

In none of these cases did Chizik not care what his players did off the field or lose control of any of them like Sumlin has.

I don't know...you can set a team rule for curfews, etc. so why not spice? The coach could set whatever rule he wants and apply punishment as warranted.

I don't know...you can set a team rule for curfews, etc. so why not spice? The coach could set whatever rule he wants and apply punishment as warranted.

You can set a team rule, but you can't announce that use of an unlisted substance is grounds for dismissal, without going through all of the steps to make it official, and then kick someone off the team... you'd be sued instantly. Auburn did what they had to do to get the substance officially banned and then started dropping the hammer, but the process took more than 6-months.

Team rules like curfew get you benched, at best. If you read the stories about the core group of spice heads, they didn't care about that kind of punishment.

Lionheart, I have noticed that our offensive tempo is eerily similar to the time when Chizik "forced Gus to play in a way he didn't want to" as I've seen on here many times. But as we see with Gus as head coach he's playing the same way. I was wondering what you think is the reason for the similarities if Gus didn't want to do this.

Or maybe I am misinterpreting and you aren't even referencing tempo.

Lionheart, I have noticed that our offensive tempo is eerily similar to the time when Chizik "forced Gus to play in a way he didn't want to" as I've seen on here many times. But as we see with Gus as head coach he's playing the same way. I was wondering what you think is the reason for the similarities if Gus didn't want to do this.

in 2011 the tempo was working when it stopped. This past season it was not.

Tempo was part of it. From what I've heard from various sources, Chizik was telling Gus what to do and Gus doesn't like that (see his short stint at Arkansas).

Tempo was part of it. From what I've heard from various sources, Chizik was telling Gus what to do and Gus doesn't like that (see his short stint at Arkansas).

Gotcha.

Alexava, I think you're right. We started to change the O after the S Carolina game in 2011 and up until that point our offense was putting up a nice number of points. Then it seems there was a big dropoff.

they "why" Chiz lost the team can be discussed, but I don't think there is much doubt that he lost the team in the end. I think we will see pretty early in the next season whether or not sumlin has lost his team.

they "why" Chiz lost the team can be discussed, but I don't think there is much doubt that he lost the team in the end. I think we will see pretty early in the next season whether or not sumlin has lost his team.

What's interesting is how quickly Gus was able to get the team back. That leaves a lot of questions, not the least of which is, were Chizik and Gus on opposite sides of a divided team and did Gus leaving bury Chizik?

As for Sumlin, I don't know that he's every going to completely lose the team because the players who don't like his style are leaving. He is definitely going to have to make changes or he will continue to lose quality players, and if he's not careful, one of those unhappy players may decide to stay and divide the locker room. Then he will lose the team.

I think his bigger concern should be how he's going to field a team when he's hemorrhaging QBs and not replacing them at the same rate.

I do hope A&M is indeed in meltdown mode. Trevor Knight, along with that that receiving corps and defensive line makes me nervous. Is our current situation similar to theirs?

Archived