Character & Coe Academic status (Update 7/21/16)

ellitor

Story from today

2016 signee Character learns fate

For Marlon Character, the wait is over.

The 3-star safety from Atlanta (Ga.) Grady, who signed with Auburn in February, learned late Wednesday night he would be cleared academically and will enroll at Auburn in a few weeks.

He plans to arrive at school July 31.

"It's a relief," Character said.

Character appeared all set in the spring, but had a test score flagged, meaning he had to re-take it. In the meantime, he also enrolled in an online course.

"It was either/or," Character said. "So I did both. I got word on my class (Wednesday). I'm good. I'm just relieved."

Now, he's ready to get to Auburn.

"I'm ready to put in some work" Character said. "It's time to work 100 percent on college. I don't have to worry about if I'm going to make it."

One other Auburn signee remains in limbo -- defensive and Nick Coe of North Carolina. He should learn his fate next week.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:37 PM, aujeff11 said:

I still don't see how it is possible to have a 10 point jump or above unless the first time the student was literally on the death bed. There is no study or class that can teach a 10 point jump in such a short time. Maybe from freshman to Senior year it is possible. There is good reason that the ACT flags the scores after it jumps past nine or ten points in a short while. The ACT was designed so that those large jumps shouldn't happen in other words. It's a universal test meant to show where a student is at intellectually, so the test scores are supposed to be fairly close. If the test scores are all over the place, then the university will have no clue what kind of student they are accepting, definitely now that the high school degrees are diluted and 3/4ths the class has over a 3.0.

And the ACT doesn't have any more control over athletes than they do with non-athletes.

It is very possible; I know in that I had something similar.   When I took my ACT exam for the first time my early junior year, I made a 23. I wanted to improve my score 5 months later and made a 32 on it. My principal and guidance counselor were sure I had cheated. I took it again for the 3rd time under the supervision of my guidance counselor. I made a 34 total. That blew them away and they never doubted me again. The first time I took the exam, I had stayed out until 3:00 am and had 4 hours of sleep. I was finishing my campout with the Boy Scouts, and was doing my best to earn some badges to become an Eagle Scout.  Give the man the benefit of doubt and let him start playing.

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

It is very possible; I know in that I had something similar.   When I took my ACT exam for the first time my early junior year, I made a 23. I wanted to improve my score 5 months later and made a 32 on it. My principal and guidance counselor were sure I had cheated. I took it again for the 3rd time under the supervision of my guidance counselor. I made a 34 total. That blew them away and they never doubted me again. The first time I took the exam, I had stayed out until 3:00 am and had 4 hours of sleep. I was finishing my campout with the Boy Scouts, and was doing my best to earn some badges to become an Eagle Scout.  Give the man the benefit of doubt and let him start playing.

Doc with a 34? Never saw that coming either..

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Doc with a 34? Never saw that coming either..

I did not become a doctor on my good looks!

I would guess that when Nick took each of his ACT exams, there was one or more monitors watching the students take their test.  It is very hard to cheat on the test, and I feel 110% that Nick did not cheat, and did the best he could. This should never be a problem, and the NCAA should have safe guards in place whenever an athlete takes the ACT or SAT. There should be cameras, and certified monitors in place to make sure there is nothing in question when a student athlete takes either or both exams.

The NCAA has nothing to do with administration of standardized tests, and they have nothing to do with a test score being flagged as questionable. Even if they wanted to monitor athletes taking the tests (they don't; they would need a MASSIVE budget for more personnel and are already stretched thin), the ACT/SAT wouldn't allow it. They control the test environment. Adding surveillance changes the test conditions, which would almost certainly cause a lack of uniformity in the scores. 

16 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Was a 34 a perfect score back in your day Doc?  It was when I took the ACT.

When did guidance counselors proctor the ACT test? I had to go to  designated locations to take mine. My point about the 10 point increases are that 99 percent of the people cannot increase their score by ten if they didn't blow the first one off. If you stay up til 3am I guess that could cause one to miss at least over 50 questions that you would normally get right... Maybe  Marlon blew off the first one, maybe he didn't. Who knows.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

If you stay up til 3am I guess that could cause one to miss at least over 50 questions that you would normally get right... 

Caused me to get a 28 instead of... presumably something higher. Probably still smelled bad. The proctor had to wake me up to begin each new section. Literally spent no time thinking about a single question that I didn't know right away. Still curious how many of those I got right by guessing C. 

6 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

I was curious so I looked it up, a 36 has always been the top score on the ACT since its creation in 1959. Source

Once again, my memory is not what it used to be. Sorry for the erroneous info, everyone.

5 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Too late, where's that damn dislike button again? ;)

There I gave you a like to make up for the inability to dislike me :)

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Caused me to get a 28 instead of... presumably something higher. Probably still smelled bad. The proctor had to wake me up to begin each new section. Literally spent no time thinking about a single question that I didn't know right away. Still curious how many of those I got right by guessing C. 

Regarding the answer choice C, most of these standardized tests are manipulated to where each letter is equally used. The old way of bubbling in C is discouraged unless you can't determine the trend of your answers or if you are really uncertain of a lot of your previous answers. If you have five questions left and you are slow at standardized tests like me, and you barely used A, it's advised to bubble A the last five. Sounds like you got to sleep during your tests though and not use every second possible because you were good at it, so I'm currently flicking you off.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Regarding the answer choice C, most of these standardized tests are manipulated to where each letter is equally used. The old way of bubbling in C is discouraged unless you can't determine the trend of your answers or if you are really uncertain of a lot of your previous answers. If you have five questions left and you are slow at standardized tests like me, and you barely used A, it's advised to bubble A the last five. Sounds like you got to sleep during your tests though and not use every second possible because you were good at it, so I'm currently flicking you off.

Deserved and accepted.

It was the only thing I was good at. There was an audible gasp in the high school auditorium on awards day when I got a "<whatever high> percentile on the PSAT" award. 

On 6/29/2016 at 10:14 PM, ellitor said:
On 6/29/2016 at 8:31 PM, AU64 said:

Hate to see these guys having to pull a rabbit out of their hat at the last minute to qualify. If these guys were really A students ...likely neither would be in the situation they find themselves now. Good that we are not depending on them for a key role on 2016.

Getting an A or having to in an online class is not even remotely close to the metaphorical rabbit out of the hat. It's pretty easy for most to do.

Maybe not so easy after all.   And of course he's had a year to get that sorted out.   

Hoping he finally makes it but for whatever reason he's missed an opportunity to be enrolled and part of the team...and now looks like he will be a last minute arrival.....which in my view probably means a red shirt this season.

OK my friends, looks like the can of worms has been opened and the poor worms are wiggling all over the place!  I took my ACT back in 1974, and it was monitored by my guidance counselor and guidance counselors from other HS monitoring their students. I took it at a designated testing center. It was hard to cheat in that we were only allowed a few of the basic items as far as I can remember. Folks, that was another lifetime away.

I would guess that the monitoring of ACT exams today is very rigorous. There should be very little if any second guessing on the scores that students earn. The NCAA tends to be the enemy of the student and not there to serve the needs of the student athlete.

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Was a 34 a perfect score back in your day Doc?  It was when I took the ACT.  I think a 34 was a perfect score then. I know I aced the math section of the test and not so sure of the English section.  As far as I can remember, I did not ace the English part so excuse me on this one. I remember being told by my guidance counselor that I was one of the biggest underachievers she had ever met!

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe not so easy after all.   And of course he's had a year to get that sorted out.   

Hoping he finally makes it but for whatever reason he's missed an opportunity to be enrolled and part of the team...and now looks like he will be a last minute arrival.....which in my view probably means a red shirt this season.

It's still easy to get an A. He's just waiting on a formal announcement on his grade. AU & Coe's high school coach are supremely confident he gets in. & the process is longer than a year. NCAA requires certain grades for certain classes going all the way back to freshman year with a high minimum of the NCAA's core classes taken each year. Most guidance counselors don't know this so a number of kids fall way behind id they take things easy their Fresh & Soph year.

And barring injuries, he was going to RS anyway even if he was not a let arrival.

Archived