Finebaum 101

DKW 86

I listen to Finebaum and even call in from time to time. I know PF is an authority on the onside info around the state. Besides, I need to know what is topical just for posters on the board.

Here goes: PF has suddenly gotten pretty extreme on his show about UAT and AU. Now a hot story or two should be just what the Doctor ordered for a radio callin show right? One would think so but pay attention to the details.

1) PF belittled the Dr. Ed Story supporting CTT today. He did it loudly and unmistakeably. Wwwhhhyyy? Becuase it isnt controversy! PF is making a mint off of being in the Controversy business. Heck Dye tells everyone that PF was the reason we beat Bama one year, 1986?, over a column the guy wrote and Dye showed to the players. The article calmed the waters around Ed's admittedly bad choice of words and timing of late. Well PF cant have that. Maybe Dr Ed wil come and say a few words with PF? Dont bet on it!

2) PF is downplaying the CTT/CGC/CAB turnaround at AU. Wwwhhhyyy? We win two of the biggest games in CTT's career and possibly AU history too and we might not even be the second biggest story on the state's highest rated radio show? :headscratch: No interviews with CTT? Whats up with that? B)

3) PF is playing, really over playing, the CMS slamfest from the socalled Tide Fans. Driving this story into the ground. Wwwhhhyyy? Because it is controversy and that is why people listen to the PF show. ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A STORY THAT IS BREAKING ON THE PF SHOW! He has all but called for CMS to be fired, or at least Rader, at season's end. I get it now Paul, they were great 3 weeks ago and now they are crap? NCAA, Injuries, low talent level, etc. Give them some time! But no interviews with Dr Whitten, Moore, CMS etc? :blink:

Now for the good part...

Why is Paul driving his show this way? One reason, to drive people to talk about the show AND TO GET PEOPLE TO COME AND TALK WITH THE SHOW.

Anyone else notice that with all of PF's interviews and guests the folks that are missing this week from the show?

Dr. Ed is talking...to everyone but Finebaum it seems.

CTT, fresh off his biggest win in several years is nowhere to be seen...or heard from on the PF Network.

CMS and the UAT folks (CMS, Moore, et al) are not saying a word to PF now.

Kind of hard to be the leading radio talk show in Alabama when no one actually involved in the story is talking to you. B)

He's getting everything he deserves and I hope he gets flushed just like his beloved Tide. I don't even listen to him anymore for the plain fact that he's nothing but a rabble rouser and a cocky one at that....so smug. I enjoy Sportscall on 99.9 with Bill, Jasher, and Ron so much more on the afternoon drive home. They just talk sports...plain and simple. To controversy, no problems, just open forum...good stuff.

He's getting everything he deserves and I hope he gets flushed just like his beloved Tide.  I don't even listen to him anymore for the plain fact that he's nothing but a rabble rouser and a cocky one at that....so smug.  I enjoy Sportscall on 99.9 with Bill, Jasher, and Ron so much more on the afternoon drive home.  They just talk sports...plain and simple.  To controversy, no problems, just open forum...good stuff.

108650[/snapback]

Can you provide a link to Bill and Ron. (Jasher I can do without, unless he has gotten better) I miss hearing that show. Thanks.

Yeah paul is all about shock radio.

The only reason ive listened to him in the past is to hear info on the gallion case. But now Tommy is on a gag order and cant release details in those documents...so whats the point?

It sure seems like Finebaum is almost MAD when bama and AU do well.

I enjoy Sportscall on 99.9 with Bill, Jasher, and Ron so much more on the afternoon drive home.  They just talk sports...plain and simple.  To controversy, no problems, just open forum...good stuff.

108650[/snapback]

I miss Auburn very much, but I do NOT miss that show. It has its upsides, but even the most die hard AU fan can only take so much. They enter the show each day with VERY little agenda and rely solely on callers to run their show. They have their niche market, but they are by no stretch professionals. Basically, their show is a 2 hour regurgitation of what I just read on AUNation.net. All constructive criticisms, I promise!!! :big:

On the flipside, I now live in Lexingt :basketball: n, KY. I hear the same basic show only it has all UK guys. These guys have nothing to talk about except when they offer prizes to whoever can come up with the best excuse as to why the Wildcats suck at Football!!!!!!!

I enjoy Sportscall on 99.9 with Bill, Jasher, and Ron so much more on the afternoon drive home.  They just talk sports...plain and simple.  To controversy, no problems, just open forum...good stuff.

108650[/snapback]

I miss Auburn very much, but I do NOT miss that show. It has its upsides, but even the most die hard AU fan can only take so much. They enter the show each day with VERY little agenda and rely solely on callers to run their show. They have their niche market, but they are by no stretch professionals. Basically, their show is a 2 hour regurgitation of what I just read on AUNation.net. All constructive criticisms, I promise!!! :big:

On the flipside, I now live in Lexingt :basketball: n, KY. I hear the same basic show only it has all UK guys. These guys have nothing to talk about except when they offer prizes to whoever can come up with the best excuse as to why the Wildcats suck at Football!!!!!!!

108687[/snapback]

Bill, Rod, and Jasher (Also Andy when he was on) are indeed professionals. They are true Homers :homer: , which is what the show is about. They do, however, discuss the negatives when they need to. I know these guys and how hard they work. They do a good job, study their subject, and know it well. Yes they have their own niche, and they fill it quite well. To say that they are not professionals is uncalled for. :thumbsdown:

I am not a PF basher like many on this board. In fact, I enjoy his show. Living in Chicago, it's the only radio I can get on the internet that even talks AU football.

You must remeber that PF is a journalist, and the #1 rule in journalism is to know who your audience is. He overplays the Bama stuff and downplays Auburn because the Bammers eat it up and he gets high ratings. Think about who his callers are. He is playing to them. That is why you have to take PF with a grain of salt. To his credit, he usually gives credit where credit is due and he has the stones to ask questions that nobody in the print media will.

He's getting everything he deserves and I hope he gets flushed just like his beloved Tide.  I don't even listen to him anymore for the plain fact that he's nothing but a rabble rouser and a cocky one at that....so smug.  I enjoy Sportscall on 99.9 with Bill, Jasher, and Ron so much more on the afternoon drive home.  They just talk sports...plain and simple.  To controversy, no problems, just open forum...good stuff.

108650[/snapback]

Can you provide a link to Bill and Ron. (Jasher I can do without, unless he has gotten better) I miss hearing that show. Thanks.

108680[/snapback]

Jasher is much better than Ron and Ron has been told to shut up several times on the show and he has backed away from the mic thank god!!! Ron doesn't like for the callers to speak he cuts them off every chance he gets....

Now though unless you are driving around town you only get one hour of sportscall. 99.9 doesn't pick up in most houses in Auburn and 1230 am has started playing conference call at 5pm. I am not sure why they are subjecting us to this garbage. I listened one day to the show and the next day they played that same exact show i had heard the day before. They play Mike Shula saying roll tide as the lead in. Turn conference call off and let Sportscall take its 2 hours.. and then play conference call

Ron must be fairly new. I moved from Auburn about year and a half ago and it was still Bill, Andy and a little bit of Jasher.

He was also discussing the possibility of TT leaving after a great year. I caught the end of the discussion and do not know exactly who brought the subject up; PF or a caller.

Ron must be fairly new.  I moved from Auburn about year and a half ago and it was still Bill, Andy and a little bit of Jasher.

108741[/snapback]

Ron started back during the summer and i wish he would have stayed away. He all but calls the callers stupid on the air and loves to state he knows everything about Auburn b/c he grew up here and noone else knows anything. He called Pat Dye an embarrassment to Auburn football one day when the talk about adding his name to the stadium came up boy did that throw everyone into a frenzy. When someone would call in and try and dispute what he had to say he would talk over the caller so noone could hear what the caller was saying and would say he knew things cause he grew up in Auburn and noone else knew anything cause apparently when Ron was growing up the population of Auburn was 1. He throws that tidbit in every response. He makes me sick and he was a bad choice to add to the show...

Ron must be fairly new.  I moved from Auburn about year and a half ago and it was still Bill, Andy and a little bit of Jasher.

108741[/snapback]

Ron started back during the summer and i wish he would have stayed away. He all but calls the callers stupid on the air and loves to state he knows everything about Auburn b/c he grew up here and noone else knows anything. He called Pat Dye an embarrassment to Auburn football one day when the talk about adding his name to the stadium came up boy did that throw everyone into a frenzy. When someone would call in and try and dispute what he had to say he would talk over the caller so noone could hear what the caller was saying and would say he knew things cause he grew up in Auburn and noone else knew anything cause apparently when Ron was growing up the population of Auburn was 1. He throws that tidbit in every response. He makes me sick and he was a bad choice to add to the show...

108751[/snapback]

I guess I read too fast on the earlier posts, I thought it said ROD. I don't know who RON is. I still like Bill and Andy.

I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh earlier, but I still think that crew has a long way to go if they want to stack up against the best. They are good for a college town as homers, but the show has a SERIOUS lack of structure. Just ask yourself, how many times did they start a show saying..."Just call in if you have a favorite Halloween story."? I'm sorry, but thats not sports radio. I'd rather tune in to something with some substance. Kudos to them for their hard work. They still get a paycheck, so obviously there are those who like their style. I just wasnt ever one of them.

:au:

I totally understand where Ron was coming from when he said Dye was an embarrassment to AU, and I agree to an extent. When Dye left, he should have left...stop sticking his nose in everything and causing more trouble. Dye was a great coach, and a great motivator, and a true Auburn man...but the late '90's and early 00's were not good times for Dye and the Auburn family primarily because of Dye stirring crap up.

I am not a PF basher like many on this board.  In fact, I enjoy his show.  Living in Chicago, it's the only radio I can get on the internet that even talks AU football. 

You must remeber that PF is a journalist, and the #1 rule in journalism is to know who your audience is.  He overplays the Bama stuff and downplays Auburn because the Bammers eat it up and he gets high ratings.  Think about who his callers are.  He is playing to them.  That is why you have to take PF with a grain of salt.  To his credit, he usually gives credit where credit is due and he has the stones to ask questions that nobody in the print media will.

108720[/snapback]

I completely agree. Living in DC really makes me starved for any college football news. I got my fiance satellite radio and we listen to Finebaum almost every afternoon. Its nice to finally hear ANYTHING about Auburn football.

Also, I think PF just tries to stir things up on purpose. I think that's what keeps people listening.

Archived