General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Essentially, you're saying the Sun Belt is superior to the ACC. Lol to that. Let's not forget Malzahn took over a program that won the conference championship the year prior. It's a very good team he inherited. Let's not also forget that the average amount of wins Florida State had in the few years before Fisher took over was about 7 per year. They've won 10, 9 and now have a good shot to win 11 at least, going to the conference championship 2 years out of 3. That's pretty damn good. I will take Fisher any day over Gus.

The difference though is that Malzhan doesnt have the talent advantage over his opponents that Fisher has over his. These are FSU's opponents this year:

Murray St

Savannah St

Wake Forest

Clemson

USF

NC St

Boston College

Miami

Duke

Virginia Tech

Maryland

Florida

If we were talking basketball then this would be a pretty formidable schedule. But we're not. What would Miss St's record be at this point be with the same schedule? 10-0? 9-1? No worse than 8-2. UT? 9-1? Worst case 7-3. Yes, FSU "only averaged 7 wins the 4 years prior to Fisher taking over but, for a little perspective, this was FSU WORST 4 year stretch in more than 30 years. This is a program that had a stretch of 13 consecutive 10 win seasons (playing only 12 games a year in most cases). Florida State ranks 7th in most appearances in the final AP Top 5 (with 15). Nothing he has done is "impressive" when you consider the context. And lets not forget that Jimbo was HCIW during those "dark years" as well.

Are we playing for championships or not? If Jimbo cant go UNDEFEATED with that schedule at FSU then how can you expect him to beat LSU, Bama, UGA, aTm and an SEC East Champ at AU? He is not getting better talent than he has available at FSU. He's coaching against better coaching with better talent.

Gus has proven that he can come back from 0-24 in the one of the loudest most hostile venues in CFB, against a team with 8 players drafted in the first round in the last two years. And if you say "anybody could have did that with Cam" then it is even more reasonable to expect that FSU should sail through their schedule. Petrinos my favorite but I would be very happy with Gus.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure if he has been mentioned in discussions... but I think he would be an excellent potential Head Coaching cadidate.

Has UCLA ranked 17th in the Country with an 8-2 record.

History with the Seahawks and the Falcons. Hes a proven head coach with a pretty clean slate.

Auburn and the SEC behemoths seem like the kinda challenge he would be up for.

What do you guys think?

here is a link to his resume and accomplishments on Wiki.

Hes definitely proven if you ask me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_L._Mora

First off is your handle spanish for war eagle? I think so..

Listen to all the mensa's say an NFL guy is bad he won't win in college blah blah blah hell I wish we had Jim Mora he has done great job.

Now I think I have a better change of getting into the playboy mansion but my top choice would be Jeff Fisher

As a Falcons fan I would have to say no. The dude is a clown IMO. He wasn't great with the Falcons and was fired in Seattle after one season. Was a complete A-hole to alot of people in ATL. He's done pretty well at UCLA but lost to the two best teams on the schedule. I fully expect them to lose to USC and Stanford as well to close out the year. To be fair, the wins against Nebraska and Arizona State are pretty good.

Isn't he the one that just said he thought that whoever started a fake twitter account impersonating one of his players should be in jail?

Yes. Dude has a history of sticking his foot in his mouth

As a Falcons fan I would have to say no. The dude is a clown IMO. He wasn't great with the Falcons and was fired in Seattle after one season. Was a complete A-hole to alot of people in ATL. He's done pretty well at UCLA but lost to the two best teams on the schedule. I fully expect them to lose to USC and Stanford as well to close out the year. To be fair, the wins against Nebraska and Arizona State are pretty good.

Haha just saw the score in the USC game. Looks like my prediction was wrong. Pretty surprising. Long way to go though Trojans just scored.

Haha just saw the score in the USC game. Looks like my prediction was wrong. Pretty surprising. Long way to go though Trojans just scored.

He wouldn't be a bad hire but UCLA will beat USC. Remember where UCLA is coming from and what they were like just a couple years ago.

His season at UCLA this year has been impressive. UCLA has been a dumpster fire for several years now. 8-2 and up on their archrival by 11 in the 2nd half? Pretty nice.

Really liking JIM MORA JR. and what he has done with UCLA in one year!

He would be on top of my list right now. He is NUMBER 1.

The question is can we get him??????????

I think that's going too far but he'd be a good grab. If that was sarcasm, I'm not sure what your point was with it.

Really liking JIM MORA JR. and what he has done with UCLA in one year!

He would be on top of my list right now. He is NUMBER 1.

The question is can we get him??????????

I think that's going too far but he'd be a good grab. If that was sarcasm, I'm not sure what your point was with it.

No it wasn't sarcasm. He is fixing to be 9-2 at UCLA after one year! The defense needs some help though. I really like Mora Jr and he wouldn't come with the baggage of Petrino.

Some of y'all need to stop the knee jerk reactions. Last week we couldn't possibly hire Charlie Strong because his team was losing to Syracuse. This week Jim Mora is the guy because his team is looking good on television. If the Bruins were being blown out the same people would be on here saying he was a bum and UCLA's rebound season was a fluke. I'm guessing if FLA State plays poorly next week Jimbo won't be good enough for us, either huh??

If he's 9-2 in his first year, what makes you think he'd leave to come to AU?

IDK that's why I asked in my original post "Can we get him???". I was asking peoples opinions on if they think it would be impossible to get him.

Some of y'all need to stop the knee jerk reactions. Last week we couldn't possibly hire Charlie Strong because his team was losing to Syracuse. This week Jim Mora is the guy because his team is looking good on television. If the Bruins were being blown out the same people would be on here saying he was a bum and UCLA's rebound season was a fluke. I'm guessing if FLA State plays poorly next week Jimbo won't be good enough for us, either huh??

No even if he goes 8-3 at this point with the young talent at UCLA he has done a heck of a job. It isn't a knee jerk reaction I have been thinking it for awhile but didn't state it till today.

Exactly, success or failure @ one job is not indicative of success or failure @ another. It's all speculation.

Exactly, success or failure @ one job is not indicative of success or failure @ another. It's all speculation.

Okay so who do you guys want as your head coach hopefully not Jimbo Fisher? Who else is out there Willi Taggart, Pete Lembo, Gene Chizik?? Jim Mora Jr coached in the NFL and it could help us in recruiting for sure.

I think the best thing for all of us to do is watch whatever coach is currently on tv and has the team playing well, then suggest we go after him.

Archived