Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Titan, Just out of curiosity were you on board with Jetgate when it happened? What I am asking is did you want Petrino back then?

I was on the board back then.

My reaction at the time, if I remember correctly, didn't have anything to do with Petrino. I knew he was an excellent coach because I hated seeing him leave from our OC slot and then saw the disaster that was "Nallsminger" even though they supposedly ran the same offense. I just didn't like the way that our people handled the deal. I've probably softened on that somewhat over the years because the reality is, coaching searches get handled on some level under the radar before any official announcements are made all the time.

Ok. That was the answer i was looking for. Was just curious because you seem to have a deeper want for Petrino than the ones that are looking for a quick fix and a win now.

I have other coaches out there I'd want before him, but I just don't think there's any chance in hell they'd come. Top of my list is Jim Harbaugh. Not far under that is his brother John. I like Bob Stoops a lot. But then it gets pretty thin and I really think of the coaches that would come to Auburn, he's the best. I think he'd turn us around quickly because he's a strict, all-business, demand excellence and attention to detail guy like we've probably never had before. And in terms of X's and O's he up at the top with the best offensive minds out there. So if we did our homework on him and were satisfied that he's made the appropriate changes in attitude and life and was truly repentant, I see no reason not to get the best coach out there.

Jimbo Fisher is a good, not great option to me. And I could totally see us go for Jimbo then watch FSU snatch Petrino and consider it an upgrade. He'd turn them into an absolute terror for years to come.

+1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance Bobby would turn down an offer from AU? He may not want to jump into this dumpster fire.

No, unless we just ridiculously lowballed him, which wouldn't happen. He'd have to accept less money than he otherwise would have commanded, at least on the front end. But he wants this job and actually has wanted it for years. Had he not gone to Arky one year earlier he would have been all over it when we hired Chizik.

Man, that would have been awesome to have gotten BP back in '08.... So close... We would be solid on the field and probably have less player criminality and recruit attrition overall.

Lol..and he would have taken his blonde on a bike ride @ Lake Martin or Lake Jordan.....sorry I could not resist

I actually agree to an extent with PoetTiger here. I think it will be better for a school to get Petrino now after his downfall than it would be before. I think this was sobering wake up call for him and he knows that another screw up like this and he won't get to coach anyone again, much less have a high profile gig like Auburn. But before it was still all in secret and he thought he was getting away with it.

Titan, Just out of curiosity were you on board with Jetgate when it happened? What I am asking is did you want Petrino back then?

Jetgate lies at the feet of Auburn and only Auburn. If a higher profile company wants to fly in to interview me for a position that might be opening, I wouldn't say no either. I can also guarantee you I wouldn't tell my current employer about said interview.

Not the question i asked. Was simply wondering if you though as highly of Petrino back then.

Then yes, I wanted Petrino then. He's been a damn fine college coach at his every stop.

Petrino makes the most sense, both in resume and more importantly, TIMING!!! He is available now, and won't be available for long after the season ends. FSU will make a bowl game, so we will be sitting around until mid-January, with recruits hanging out to dry not knowing who they'll play for. This is a very bad situation we find ourselves in. Make a move too quick, and it's Jetgate all over again. Wait too long, and we risk our recruiting class.

The recruiting class is the only way I see Chizik getting another year.

Whether you like him, want him, or not, AU will not hire Petrino.

It simply won't happen.

Let's move-on now boys.......

I've heard this but how sure are we that BP won't get a look?

It simply won't happen.

How about we just keep talking about it, m'kay?

I think Petrino's ego took a hit when he embarrassed himself and his family after the motorcycle accident. I think he's going to straighten up and won't be fooling around anymore because like Titan said, this would likely be his last shot to coach in college football.

I want to know what the chances that BP even gets looked at? I want him, but are they going to consider him?

Knowing Auburn's history of coaching hires, it'll be some unknown coach from a Homecoming conference.

It simply won't happen.

How about we just keep talking about it, m'kay?

Sure, but how productive is it? I just don't know. Of course if you want, we all have freedom of the keyboard. :)

Whether you want to believe it or not, Petrino is a very viable candidate for the job right now.

Offer still stands....$5 says Bobby Petrino will not be the next HC at AU.

Whether you want to believe it or not, Petrino is a very viable candidate for the job right now.

I really hope it is Petrino but I have virtually no faith that Auburn won't screw up this coaching hire as well. I'd feel better if we already had started the search for a new AD

I hope you're right, but I get concerned with all the rumors of "there are some powerful board members who won't allow this to happen." I know they're just rumors, but I do know a couple of high-profile media members and former players personally, and they said they're hearing the same thing.

Of course, it could just mean they're reading the message boards -- I didn't ask where they were hearing it.

That's sort of a slanted bet. Almost anytime the choices are one option vs the field, take the field. It's just good odds.

I will double your offer and tell you that it is between Jimbo Fisher and Petrino and one of those will be the next coach...Jimbo is on the to of the list right now but Petrino will wind up with it.

I will double your offer and tell you that it is between Jimbo Fisher and Petrino and one of those will be the next coach...Jimbo is on the to of the list right now but Petrino will wind up with it.

So BP has a chance?

It is possible...there is alot of smoke right now..so everything can always change...we just have to be patient and not worry much about it. If we got Fisher or Petrino then we would be fine. Honestly I prefer Petrino because to me he is a better coach. But if we get Jimbo we still get a great coach, so either would do great. Too many people on these boards get up in the air and need to settle down some. Just sit back and watch and wait :)

So who do we hire three years after we hire BP and he either leaves or does something else stupid?.

Maybe we should start a new topic....Candidates for the AU job in 2016.

So who do we hire three years after we hire BP and he either leaves or does something else stupid?.

Maybe we should start a new topic....Candidates for the AU job in 2016.

Will you burn your Auburn degree and pull for Bama when we hire Petrino?

Because it's VERY possible we hire him.

Worried about Petrino not learning his lesson and screwing up again? Easy solution..... Give his wife Tim Jackson's job.... j/k... well mostly :dunno:

Actually if I were willing to pull for Bama...I would be happy to have BP at AU....'cause that would indicate that my loyalty was no deeper than football the program.

To be truthful, the football program sees very little of my money these days so what I do won't make any difference to the athletic department...but I will continue to support the Business School as I've done for 15 years. I just think the school deserves a better person as the "face of the university"....and will very surprised if he ends up at AU.

petrinocrash2-300x218.jpg

Well said AU64. Couldn't agree more. The Petrino fanboys want to paint all those that are not in favor of his hire a bible toting Bama lovers that do not want to see success at Auburn. The truth is that Auburn will hire a coach that will be capable of success and will also be more of an upstanding citizen. Petrino is not the man this university needs and we will be successful without him. Once all of the dust settles we will have a good coach that represents the university well and is also successful. Guaranteed Petrino will not be hired at Auburn.

Actually if I were willing to pull for Bama...I would be happy to have BP at AU....'cause that would indicate that my loyalty was no deeper than football the program.

To be truthful, the football program sees very little of my money these days so what I do won't make any difference to the athletic department...but I will continue to support the Business School as I've done for 15 years. I just think the school deserves a better person as the "face of the university"....and will very surprised if he ends up at AU.

petrinocrash2-300x218.jpg

Well said. A large portion of the fanbase feels this way.

Archived