2015 5* ATH Terry Godwin (Georgia signee)

EagleDamnWar

I have a cousin that's a lifetime UGA fan and he says the reason why the AU-UGA rivalry gas gotten so chippy when it used to be more friendly is because these young hot shots come down to ATL and surrounding areas and start being UGA fans, and don't know the tradition of the rivalry. I believe this, but I also think the UGA fans are bitter and jealous honestly. 2010 and 2013 with the prayer at JH, and combination of Nick Marshall and now Tray Matthews, it gets under their skin.

They didn't like Nick Fairley very much either...

Getting back on topic, the class is already very impressive, adding Godwin (and hopefully others) can take it to a whole new level. Here's to hoping the positive MO is working in our favor for the next 36 hours!

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UGA fans have title envy. It burns them up that Auburn has played for 2 NC's recently. They have the same sense of entitlement that bammer has without the hardware to back it up. The majority of my family are UGA fans and I live in Atlanta, so I've seen all types and heard it all. This seems to be the common thread.

I have a cousin that's a lifetime UGA fan and he says the reason why the AU-UGA rivalry gas gotten so chippy when it used to be more friendly is because these young hot shots come down to ATL and surrounding areas and start being UGA fans, and don't know the tradition of the rivalry. I believe this, but I also think the UGA fans are bitter and jealous honestly. 2010 and 2013 with the prayer at JH, and combination of Nick Marshall and now Tray Matthews, it gets under their skin.

I've been following AU football for over 35 years and the AU vs leghumper rivalry has always been chippy.

It's been chippy, but it's been...different...since 2010. It used to be that chippiness from a pickup basketball game, or beer-league softball, where competition is fierce and you get nasty but then you're cool later when you see someone at the bar or something. Since then, it's like the brain-eaters finally got done in Tuscaloosa and have moved onto Athens.

Honestly, (and not to get political about it), but because of the budget cuts among the Regents in GA, they upped the entrance requirements and take less every semesters. Because of that, they are really starting towards moving to the 85/15 model that UAT sees - kids (or young adults) can't get in there and end up at Kennesaw State or Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville, but keep their allegiance to UGA. They end up coupling together the need to overcompensate with their fandom (to prove they are loyal) with the inability to soak up the actual on-campus tradition of the rivalry.

I see it here in NC at East Carolina - most of the undergrads grew up in Eastern NC and while they wish the Pirates well and participate in (and, from what they are able to remember afterwards, enjoy) the festivities and sports, deep down they are UNC or NCST or Duke fans, and come basketball season (whatever that is) they get downright ugly. The UNC/Duke basketball rivalry is the only thing I've ever seen that was close to our AU/UAT "Come out of the womb and pick a side" mentality.

There's probably lots of reasons other than that, but that fan base changed over the past 10 years. They've always been jerks, but you'd still invite them to Thanksgiving. Now, if you do, you have to chain them up out back with the other dogs. (Woof Woof!)

I've been following AU football for over 35 years and the AU vs leghumper rivalry has always been chippy.

It's been chippy, but it's been...different...since 2010. It used to be that chippiness from a pickup basketball game, or beer-league softball, where competition is fierce and you get nasty but then you're cool later when you see someone at the bar or something. Since then, it's like the brain-eaters finally got done in Tuscaloosa and have moved onto Athens.

Honestly, (and not to get political about it), but because of the budget cuts among the Regents in GA, they upped the entrance requirements and take less every semesters. Because of that, they are really starting towards moving to the 85/15 model that UAT sees - kids (or young adults) can't get in there and end up at Kennesaw State or Georgia College and State University in Milledgeville, but keep their allegiance to UGA. They end up coupling together the need to overcompensate with their fandom (to prove they are loyal) with the inability to soak up the actual on-campus tradition of the rivalry.

I see it here in NC at East Carolina - most of the undergrads grew up in Eastern NC and while they wish the Pirates well and participate in (and, from what they are able to remember afterwards, enjoy) the festivities and sports, deep down they are UNC or NCST or Duke fans, and come basketball season (whatever that is) they get downright ugly. The UNC/Duke basketball rivalry is the only thing I've ever seen that was close to our AU/UAT "Come out of the womb and pick a side" mentality.

There's probably lots of reasons other than that, but that fan base changed over the past 10 years. They've always been jerks, but you'd still invite them to Thanksgiving. Now, if you do, you have to chain them up out back with the other dogs. (Woof Woof!)

Very interesting about the budget cuts. That makes sense, though. I've lived in Atlanta for 8 1/2 years, and things weren't so bad at first. But, absolutely, it changed in 2010, and the "dirt road alumni" factor has felt far more pronounced since then. Perhaps Cam and Fairley were just the excuse they needed to spill over.

I wonder if seeing what we have accomplished while they have absolutely nothing to show for all of their wins has also made it worse. Must be brutal that UT, UF and AU have 4 titles and 5 championship game appearances since the beginning of the BCS era and they have zero (of either). Meanwhile, they've mostly had better seasons on average during that time than any of the three.

Oh well. Sucks for them.

I imagine that scenario is the same for all of the non traditional powers within all of the states. You just don't grow up being a fan of the UNC-Charlottes, or the Kent States, or the San Jose States, or the Rice Universities of the world so the students, while supporting their own athletic programs, still have the life-long allegiances to the programs they grew up rooting for. It's tough to let go of that, especially when your current school doesn't play in the same class as the team in your heart.

Yeah I think Coach Dye and Coach Dooley at Georgia kept things in check but now they are jealous of the hardware Auburn has won the last few years both SEC titles and the Natty. Living in Georgia you hear from them continuously.

I wonder if seeing what we have accomplished while they have absolutely nothing to show for all of their wins has also made it worse. Must be brutal that UT, UF and AU have 4 titles and 5 championship game appearances since the beginning of the BCS era and they have zero (of either). Meanwhile, they've mostly had better seasons on average during that time than any of the three.

Oh well. Sucks for them.

I think that's a big reason why there's always talk of Mark Richt being on the hot seat every year. They recruit well out of a talent rich state, they always are ranked relatively high and get so much love in the polls, and then they tank once or twice a year in a game they shouldn't lose. Meanwhile, since their last title, they've seen Tennessee, Auburn, and Florida (their 3 biggest SEC rivals) win 5 titles between them, and seen LSU and Alabama win multiple. And yet with all of this, they can't even sniff a title game - the 2012 SECCG being the closest. There's an excellent case for Richt being shown the door for a better coach but no one really knows who that guy would be who could come in, keep up the recruiting, and get a consistent 10+ wins a year and an appearance in the championship game. To be honest, there are so many programs in the country who would kill to have Richt and his almost guaranteed 9 wins a year, but beating Tech only gets you so far in the SEC of today.

So Godwin...

I hate to say this, but I really hope the UGA fan base has ticked off the Godwins enough that he flips to us. We would be getting a dynamic playmaker, and watching the UGA meltdown would be sugar added on top.

So Godwin...

I hate to say this, but I really hope the UGA fan base has ticked off the Godwins enough that he flips to us. We would be getting a dynamic playmaker, and watching the UGA meltdown would be sugar added on top.

If they are foolish enough to do that then they deserve to lose him.

Guys I havent posted in a while but just can't keep a secret. I was told Godwin will choose Auburn tomorrow night. I know I will get blasted about not naming a source but the guy is close to the situation.

Guys I havent posted in a while but just can't keep a secret. I was told Godwin will choose Auburn tomorrow night. I know I will get blasted about not naming a source but the guy is close to the situation.

:popcorn:

Yeah, it seems likely we get this one. What a huge flip if so. I really hope this pans out well for all (by all I mean us and the Godwin family of course, to heck with UGA) :)

Interesting that you say you "haven't posted in a while" considering you only have 1 post.

I used to be a avid member.... It's been about two years since I last posted. Not sure why my post count is gone.

The merge probably happened in between posts. Welcome back.

forever is quite a long time

Wow, leave the guy alone and quit being such idiots. Seriously!

lol it's a joke dude...sensitive much?

Archived