Center Benas Griciunas is transfering

WarTiger

Auburn center Benas Griciunas is leaving the program, according to a report.

Jeff Borzello ‏of CBSsports.com says Griciunas, a 7-foot center originally from Lithuania, will transfer. It is not known where he is transferring to at this time.

Griciunas, who played high school basketball at Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nev., was redshirted this past season.

With six recent additions (signees and transfers), Auburn was three over the scholarship limit. With Griciunas leaving, the Tigers are two over.

Expect more departures to come in the next week, and Auburn should reach its scholarship limit soon.

IT'S ALREADY STARTING PEARL CAN'T KEEP PLAYERS EITERH AU BASKETBALL IS GONNA BE AWFUL FOREVER@!!@@!@111212

Not really surprising that some guys are going to have to go. Not a lot of SEC talent on the roster. Had to lose a 7 footer but he didn't really get better as the season progressed.

Co worker and I were talking the other day and mentioned this guy as one that needed to go. Funny....

IT'S ALREADY STARTING PEARL CAN'T KEEP PLAYERS EITERH AU BASKETBALL IS GONNA BE AWFUL FOREVER@!!@@!@111212

Not really surprising that some guys are going to have to go. Not a lot of SEC talent on the roster. Had to lose a 7 footer but he didn't really get better as the season progressed.

Hard to get better when you are redshirted and don't play. He didn't play in any games at all once we started conference play. He only played sparingly last year when he did play early in the season.

Damn! You beat me by 2 minutes WT. :tease:

:big: I'm good like that... :jump:

Co worker and I were talking the other day and mentioned this guy as one that needed to go. Funny....

Do you think his departure will hurt the team's GPA :-\

Do you think his departure will hurt the team's GPA :-\

No, Mason is a genius.

WIth this departure, I would assume the next two spots to be opened up would belong to guards.

WIth this departure, I would assume the next two spots to be opened up would belong to guards.

I doubt it. 1 is probably Alex Thompson going back to walk on status. He's a small forward.. We only have 5 guards on roster eligible to play in 2014. Mason is one of them and he is projected to play quite a bit of small forward or 3 guard like he did at Niagra. Therefore I expect all 5 of our 2014 eligible guards to remain on roster.

No shocker here, didn't start in high school.....13 scholarships, little room for error in developing and maintaining a program...big time b-ball, glad we are gonna be a part of it!!! WDE

I doubt it. 1 is probably Alex Thompson going back to walk on status. He's a small forward.. We only have 5 guards on roster eligible to play in 2014. Mason is one of them and he is projected to play quite a bit of small forward or 3 guard like he did at Niagra. Therefore I expect all 5 of our 2014 eligible guards to remain on roster.

According to at least one pay site admin, Alex will be on scholarship next season.

According to at least one pay site admin, Alex will be on scholarship next season.

I saw that yesterday. Those admins keep going back and forth on that. Mu post was made before the info you are referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though Barbee redshirted Benas this past season, I hate to lose any 7 footer because there so hard to come by.

Archived