Powe to LSU

API50

Just declared on national TV that he is going to LSU. Now, I am starting to get concerned about our recruiting.

138943[/snapback]

I've been saying it all along - I duno why anyone ever thought we had this top recruiting class. I don't even see us having a top 25 class. We got no big namers - they are going to the big name schools. Auburnis a big school, but it is not a big namer school. Everyone wants to go to Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Miami, Florida, etc. Auburn needs to win a few national championships if it wants to compete with the big dogs.

Auburn has a bunch of 3 star recruits and just about everyone is a LB or Lineman

There was an interview with Barry Sanders in the broadcast booth during this game.  Sanders said he was very concerned that he would not get a chance to play college football.  He was not highly recruited and only got three offers, OK St, Iowa St and Tulsa. 

The moral of this story is that no one really knows who the great players will be on the next level.

I think CTT is doing a great job.  We need to offer a guy named Gowland a scholarship.  He is rated 3 stars and really loves Auburn.  He is planning on walking on if we don't offer him (out-of-state tuition).  I think we need as many guys like Gowland as we can get, they are the foundation of championship teams.

138992[/snapback]

Gowland from Parkview HS (GA) would be a solid pick up.

The only thing with Gowland is that he's a true tight end and we need some extra depth on the D-line. I like what I hear about Gowland, but I think his shot is to walk-on and earn a scholarship.

Gowland's 6-4 220 and runs a 4.7, there has to be a place on the team for someone like that. Anyway, it is good to have guys with good attitudes around.

Guys, I think you should see this as a blessing. I really think he cooled on AU because AU cooled on him first. He was ALL AU before the AU staff stopped calling him.

Just declared on national TV that he is going to LSU. Now, I am starting to get concerned about our recruiting.

138943[/snapback]

I've been saying it all along - I duno why anyone ever thought we had this top recruiting class. I don't even see us having a top 25 class. We got no big namers - they are going to the big name schools. Auburnis a big school, but it is not a big namer school. Everyone wants to go to Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Miami, Florida, etc. Auburn needs to win a few national championships if it wants to compete with the big dogs.

Auburn has a bunch of 3 star recruits and just about everyone is a LB or Lineman

138994[/snapback]

I totally disagree. This class is about in the same league as any other CTT class and we just went 13-0 and we're the 2nd best team in the country according to the BCS. IMO, we just saw the best overall Auburn team in the history of the program. Over the past 3 years, Auburn is now 10th in the country in terms of win pct. Only UGA has a higher win pct than Auburn in the SEC. I think some get too caught up on the "star" ratings and forget that none of these players have even touched the field yet. Our coaches will determine just how good the 2005 signee class is, not any rating service. One of the worst rated classes ( 1991 ) ended up being one of our most productive classes down the road. One of our most highly rated classes ( 1995 ) ended up being a bust. If we want to truly judge CTT's recruting, we need to look back at his 1999 through 2001 classes.

Everyone wants to go to Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Miami, Florida, etc.

The 2004 Auburn Tigers would beat any of the above mentioned teams.

From Scout.com:
"“It was a hard choice,” Powe says. “Auburn and LSU were still neck-and-neck, but I like Coach Les Miles. They were high on my list at Oklahoma State. I was considering them. When they came to LSU and I got to talking to them, and LSU is a great team, this was just something I wanted to do on TV. I think I worked hard to get down here. I really wanted to set an example for my kids back at home. A lot of guys look up to me. I didn’t have to do that. I’m not the type that likes all the attention. My whole school was watching this on a big screen.

“I like LSU, but it’s just something I basically (did on TV). I was the first one from my school ever to be an All-American. That’s basically how my decision was made. It’s still subject to change on signing day. Auburn is still neck-and-neck and Ole Miss is slightly behind them. This is not my final choice. I just like LSU and I was actually doing what my mom said, that I should do it for the kids.”

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=2&c=342220

This kid isn't making any sense.

138987[/snapback]

How is choosing LSU over Auburn on National TV when he didn't really mean it doing it for the kids? What kind of example is that setting for those kids? I don't get what his point is. Can anyone help me with this because I don't understand.

Guys, I think you should see this as a blessing. I really think he cooled on AU because AU cooled on him first. He was ALL AU before the AU staff stopped calling him.

139005[/snapback]

What is your basis for this statement? Powe just talked to TT Friday night and told him he was going to commit to Auburn during the game.

That fat piece of S@$%! This really pisses me of. When are we going to start getting some 5 star recruits, we're the SEC champs for crying out loud? Damn it!

That fat piece of S@$%!  This really pisses me of.  When are we going to start getting some 5 star recruits, we're the SEC champs for crying out loud?  Damn it!

139018[/snapback]

I don't know whether to laugh or cr.........laugh louder. Good one.

i'm watching powe to day and i am far from impressed with him....he reminds me of albert means....he is fat and not real fast.....the kid named miller.playing beside him, is a much better DT than powe...let him go.....remember, he took a swing at his high school coach in their playoff loss this season.....do we really need him?

138959[/snapback]

if you really watched the game today and werent impressed with him then i dont know if any football player in america would impress you. the kid was in the backfield on every other play. he's an animal. i can understand that you might be saying that because you are pissed that he screwed us over but in my opinion he probably only has about a 30% chance of ever playing in the sec. he will definately play juco next year and i am not sure if he could pass enough juco classes to qualify. even if he can, he seems like an incredible liability to any program. i may be wrong and he may turn out to be the best d lineman ever to play in the sec but i wouldnt put my money on it.

i saw part of the game, and i thought he was really impressive. he was dominant against the run, and true to his/his coach's word, his first step off the ball was quicker than anyone on either team. i do find it really odd that he would claim he made this "decision" for someone else b/c he was on tv. i don't really know what that means, but i do think his recruiting is still as open as it was two days ago.

i also think he'll be in junior college (or possibly at hargrave), but he's not as dumb as folks are making him out to be. lazy, perhaps, but he seems to know how to work a crowd into a frenzy, and he certainly didn't seem lost on tv. i also thinks it's a bit overkill (and possibly just mean-spirited) to talk about a kid like he's dirt just b/c he didn't say auburn on tv. i don't think he'll be a liabilty wherever he ends up. i hope to see him in orange and blue one day when he gets time to get his priorities and academics in order.

and the class is looking good in my eyes. we needed depth at receiver: we signed the number one guy in state, one of the top juco's in the nation, and we're on the list with two other guys that our coaches really like (which is the only "star" i care about). we needed new blood at linebacker and we've got the best class in the nation bar none. we need bodies at corner: we have the top guy in state, a savage who's brother was a star at OU, possibly another juco stud, and possibly the guy our coaching staff said was the best db in florida (walter mcfadden). we need help at tight end: we've got one, and we had two of the best in the country in auburn today. i mean every area we listed as a need spot we're getting top guys. this is going to be another great group of auburn tigers.

Coach Tuberville has PROVEN that he knows how to pick the RIGHT kids to become TIGERS.

Let the rest find somewhere else to "play".

:au:

138943[/snapback]

138994[/snapback]

I don't know what you're looking at out there...many of the 3 stars on Scout are 4 stars on Rivals...Blackmon is the top LB in the country, and is a 5 star...and we have 2-3 4 stars. And we are a big name school...and have been since the 1800's!!!! As far as having LB's and Linemen...that's where games are won and lost...we are LOADED at the skill positions already...and still have 2 great WR's coming in.

13-0, baby...the PEOPLE'S MNC!!!!

:au::homer:

I watched almost all of the game and Powe looked very good and very quick & very fast for a 320+ lb. DL.

Don't let disappointment cloud you judgment.

Archived