IMG discussion thread

CameronCrazy

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Every single student at those schools is also an athlete?

Loof, of course many students at these schools are not athlete's. Still, these are examples of schools that are all known to recruit athlete's from outside their jurisdiction with the idea of getting the elite kids to help them win more championships, and to increase the athlete's chances of a college scholly to the school of their choice. The private schools do it via HS Scholly's. You can actually go to Buford HS and not even live in the county. You have to pay a fee though. I prefer the days when public school kids went to the school that was typically closest to where they live.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

All I know it their own marketing says that they don't have a lot of scholarship money available. Usually schools hype the exact opposite in order to entice top kids who can't afford to go. One would assume that they could carry anyone they wanted, but then why would they advertise that they couldn't? 

I guarantee you that 4 & 5 stars who can afford to pay, have to pay. They definitely aren't running a charity.

I guess it depends on what the actual mission is.  And I don't mean "mission statement" but the deep reality of what faculty, alumni, boosters want.  And, I don't know...just a legit question.

Do the PTB care about winning?  Is there a monetary gain from winning?  Like TV rights, advertisers, camps and coaches paying to be associated with IMG.

Or is the mission truly to just help prospective big-time prospects maximize their abilities?  ... paying for that opportunity, of course....

If the former, then there's your answer.  Sponsorships going beyond scholarships.  Maybe even under the table (HS bammer maybe?)

If the latter, then you may be right.  I don't know.

44 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Loof, of course many students at these schools are not athlete's. Still, these are examples of schools that are all known to recruit athlete's from outside their jurisdiction with the idea of getting the elite kids to help them win more championships, and to increase the athlete's chances of a college scholly to the school of their choice. The private schools do it via HS Scholly's. You can actually go to Buford HS and not even live in the county. You have to pay a fee though. I prefer the days when public school kids went to the school that was typically closest to where they live.

Yeah, I know all that. But *every single student* at IMG is an athlete. They're *all* recruits. I just see a big difference.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I know all that. But *every single student* at IMG is an athlete. They're *all* recruits. I just see a big difference.

Yea I agree. It is a much different level. I am just not a big fan of any of this. 

15 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I guess it depends on what the actual mission is.  And I don't mean "mission statement" but the deep reality of what faculty, alumni, boosters want.  And, I don't know...just a legit question.

Do the PTB care about winning?  Is there a monetary gain from winning?  Like TV rights, advertisers, camps and coaches paying to be associated with IMG.

Or is the mission truly to just help prospective big-time prospects maximize their abilities?  ... paying for that opportunity, of course....

If the former, then there's your answer.  Sponsorships going beyond scholarships.  Maybe even under the table (HS bammer maybe?)

If the latter, then you may be right.  I don't know.

Yea, me either. I can just go by what they put out there. What happens behind the scenes is a mystery... though I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that any big money happens WAY behind the scenes when it's time for recruiting these kids.

10 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

This is sick

Yes. I have seen a good bit of behind the scene videos of this place and it is sick.  I still, without hesitation, would send my son there in a minute.  It's not only a great opportunity athletically but getting them ready for college as well.  

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Y'all wanna know some crazy sh**? Now IMG ads are popping up on the websites I visit.

SDhXq-1481124523-6986-list_items-beaver_mirror.gif

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Y'all wanna know some crazy sh**? Now IMG ads are popping up on the websites I visit.

Feds watching

Archived