AU's run to the CWS

Got off to a stressful start against Jax. Rachael Walters did a great job and set a personal best for Ks.

OrgSU got upset and looking around the scoreboard there were (to me at least) a surprising number of low scoring and close games. Several 1-0 games and others where the winning team was unable to put up more than 3 runs.

This is the time of the year when the pitchers rise up for their teams.

A good site to track the action.

http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboards/softball/d1

Got off to a stressful start against Jax. Rachael Walters did a great job and set a personal best for Ks.

OrgSU got upset and looking around the scoreboard there were (to me at least) a surprising number of low scoring and close games. Several 1-0 games and others where the winning team was unable to put up more than 3 runs.

http://www.ncaa.com/...rds/softball/d1

For a number of schools you have 1 stud pitcher that got their teams to the NCAA Tourney basically being a 1 person pitching staff almost at every possible spot for the year. Gilespie at Jax St is a perfect example. She has started 23 (66%) of the team's last 35 games & appeared in 26 (77%) after beginning the season injured not playing. Teams will have to go to their #2s & runs will come up, This likely will especially affect small schools minus James Madison.

For contrast, No AU pitcher has started more than 16 (Carlson & Martin 27%) of AU's 59 games nor appeared in more than 28 (Walters 48%)

http://www.ncaa.com/...rds/softball/d1

For a number of schools you have 1 stud pitcher that got their teams to the NCAA Tourney basically being a 1 person pitching staff almost at every possible spot for the year. Gilespie at Jax St is a perfect example. She has started 22 (66%) of the team's last 35 games & appeared in 26 (77%) after beginning the season injured not playing. Teams will have to go to their #2s & runs will come up, This likely will especially affect small schools minus James Madison.

For contrast, No AU pitcher has started more than 16 (Carlson & Martin 27%) of AU's 59 games nor appeared in more than 28 (Walters 48%)

good info e

Thanks for the information. Very proud of our AU Ladies.

Jax won in 14 and has another game tonight.

JSU showing some real grit after that 14 inning marathon. Up 3-0 in the third on Upstate.

JSU closes it out 3-2. Be a good final tomorrow.

I am sure they will use Gillespie again even though she has pitched a lot of innings already. Hopefully we wake our bats up early and often. Fagan getting that hit yesterday may flip the switch for her and give us a little more pop at the bottom of the lineup.

We really need some hitting support from the 4-5-6-7 slots...make opponents pay for hitting Carosone and then walking Kasey 'cause lately they have an OBP of about 70% but end most innings still on the bases.

We really need Jade to come out of her funk. She had 6 RBI in the last Arky game and only about six more in the month since then. Her average has dropped 70 points and only 8 hits in her last 15 or 16 games and maybe 3 extra base hits. Not putting it all on her but with a little more reliability from her, the scoring problems would be solved IMO.

So maybe Fagan can take up the slack a bit now that she got that first hit.

I can't disagree with what you posted, 64. However, looking at out pitching and defense, we have only given up 1 run to the likes of Florida, LSU, JSU and USC-Upstate. Having said that, I sure would like the bats to come alive and run rule JSU this afternoon. It would be great momentum for the winner of the UTk and Arizona game.

I can't disagree with what you posted, 64. However, looking at out pitching and defense, we have only given up 1 run to the likes of Florida, LSU, JSU and USC-Upstate. Having said that, I sure would like the bats to come alive and run rule JSU this afternoon. It would be great momentum for the winner of the UTk and Arizona game.

Tennessee isn't in the game vs. Arizona yet. They have to play an elimination game vs. Ohio State first. Arizona has to lose twice also to whomever they play.

Tennessee isn't in the game vs. Arizona yet. They have to play an elimination game vs. Ohio State first. Arizona has to lose twice also to whomever they play.

I see that now, it appears that UTk will have a long day if they want to come to the plains to play Auburn.

I see that now, it appears that UTk will have a long day if they want to come to the plains to play Auburn.

They are going be hoping for that home field magic....odds are not good...

I am sure they will use Gillespie again even though she has pitched a lot of innings already. Hopefully we wake our bats up early and often. Fagan getting that hit yesterday may flip the switch for her and give us a little more pop at the bottom of the lineup.

I'm not sure how much is left in her arm today. She's thrown 300 piches the past 2 days.

Just looked at the UTk regional schedule & I'm shocked they will have the if necessary game today if played. That would mean UTk or tOSU would have to play 3 games today. I've never heard of that before in college softball. I figured the if necessary game would be tomorrow given the weather moved the whole regional back a day. Either way I don't think it matters. UTk lost their #1 pitcher at the SEC Tourney. If they get out of their region they will have to hit their way out of it.

I'm not sure how much is left in her arm today. She's thrown 300 piches the past 2 days.

AU's hitting has not been impressive......so guess if I were Jax I would start the other pitcher and see how she does....keep her on a short leash and see if she can work around the top 3 batters or for a couple innings...save Gillespie until needed.

Or they start Gillespie and Auburn shells the ball to knock her out in 1 inning :)

Archived